Distance from shore

KnoxvilleSam

I was talking to a Princess travel agent about a southbound cruise next May from Whittier and was looking for a port-side cabin, balcony or mini-suite. She told me that the side of the ship your cabin is on didn't really make a difference (since the ship does a 360 degree in Glacier Bay) for most of the cruise since the ship sails 300-400 miles from shore. Could this possibly be true? I'd thought we'd be able to see the shore and its scenery most of the time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KnoxvilleSam

I'll just about guess, your agent hasn't been to Alaska. :)

The port side balcony is a MUST IF you wish to remain in your cabin for College Fjords and Glacier Bay. That "360'" they are referring to is only a very small fraction of the potential overall viewings. All the glacier views and commentary are on the way in on the port side. The ships just sail past on the way out with no "lingering". IF you really want to see it all, get out on deck for the superior views.

As for scenic sailing, you will have plenty of close up land viewing, but NOT the entire trip. It will be totally up to the cpt. and conditions what routing is taken.

IF you happen to be going to Denali Park, you are best to cruise no earlier than the last week of May into June. Main reason being so to get as far as you can into Denali Park.

Thanks BQ. I'm looking at the Coral Princess cruisetour leaving Fairbanks May 28. I'm hoping that we'll get good looks while in Denali that way. And although I'm not seeing available port cabins when I go directly to Coral Princess cruise associated with that cruisetour on the Princess web site, the Princess TA said there are both balcony and minisuites on the port side still available, but not many of them.

KnoxvilleSam

P.S. Thanks for the other good info you give on these threads, I manage to look at most and take your advice to heart.

Note that you are arriving very early in the season for Denali NP. The park road doesn't usually open the whole way until June 8 and even through May 31 you probably won't be able to go even as far as Fish Creek. But hopefully it will be good weather and you can see the Mountain either from somewhere in the park or from the road between Denali and Anchorage.

for most of the cruise since the ship sails 300-400 miles from shore. Could this possibly be true?

No, it's not true. It so not true it's funny. :) A good book to buy is the Princess Alaska Cruise Companion. It's a mile by mile guide to Alaskan cruises. They come in Northbound and Southbound editions. Check Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

-Matt

Note that you are arriving very early in the season for Denali NP. The park road doesn't usually open the whole way until June 8 and even through May 31 you probably won't be able to go even as far as Fish Creek. But hopefully it will be good weather and you can see the Mountain either from somewhere in the park or from the road between Denali and Anchorage.

For Clairfication Fish Creek Shuttles start June 1 and Wonder Lake June 8

A good book to buy is the Princess Alaska Cruise Companion. It's a mile by mile guide to Alaskan cruises. They come in Northbound and Southbound editions. Check Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

-Matt

I just bought one on half.com. Not sure whether it is a north or south but only paid $1.68 for it (plus shipping) so either way I think I got a great deal.

Guest garden4cook

I went on my first Alaska cruise in June 2006, northbound Island Princess out of Vancouver. As for seeing beautiful land scenery...???? Ha! What a joke. We were far from land on that first day at sea. All the brochures stated that day (day 2??) is "Inside Passage Scenic Cruising". We booked a balcony - for this reason. Instead of scenic cruising - we were "at sea". This is a major beef of mine. I understand (by reading this web site) the route is up to the Captian. Our weather was PERFECT for that day and i do not understand why we never got close to shore. The land we could see was far, far off in the distance. We were going full speed ahead and looking back, there is no way we could have reached Ketchikan by 6am the 3rd day if we had done any "scenic cruising" on that first full day (day 2) of the cruise. So, I am very confused, and very disappointed as well in our cruise. The port stops were not enough for us. The first time we were close to land is 4am on day 3, heading into Ketchikan.

Book a balcony on the port side. Our balcony was on the starboard side, and we ended up on deck for Glacier Bay, and on our balcony for College Fjord. What made us mad on College Fjord day, is that the naturalist said for us starboard side people to stay on our balconies, as the ship would turn around when heading out - so that we could be assured of seeing everything. Well, our beef here, is that when the ship turned to leave College Fjord, we had NO narration at all...therefore we had no idea what we were seeing. Not fair, especially after being told to stay on our balconies.

I know we will never return to Alaska on a big cruise ship. If we go again, it will be on our terms, with much smaller ships (boats) that are one or two day excursions for adventursome people like myself.

Guest garden4cook

I went on my first Alaska cruise in June 2006, northbound Island Princess out of Vancouver. As for seeing beautiful land scenery...???? Ha! What a joke. We were far from land on that first day at sea. All the brochures stated that day (day 2??) is "Inside Passage Scenic Cruising". We booked a balcony - for this reason. Instead of scenic cruising - we were "at sea". This is a major beef of mine. I understand (by reading this web site) the route is up to the Captian. Our weather was PERFECT for that day and i do not understand why we never got close to shore. The land we could see was far, far off in the distance. We were going full speed ahead and looking back, there is no way we could have reached Ketchikan by 6am the 3rd day if we had done any "scenic cruising" on that first full day (day 2) of the cruise. So, I am very confused, and very disappointed as well in our cruise. The port stops were not enough for us. The first time we were close to land is 4am on day 3, heading into Ketchikan.

Book a balcony on the port side. Our balcony was on the starboard side, and we ended up on deck for Glacier Bay, and on our balcony for College Fjord. What made us mad on College Fjord day, is that the naturalist said for us starboard side people to stay on our balconies, as the ship would turn around when heading out - so that we could be assured of seeing everything. Well, our beef here, is that when the ship turned to leave College Fjord, we had NO narration at all...therefore we had no idea what we were seeing. Not fair, especially after being told to stay on our balconies.

I know we will never return to Alaska on a big cruise ship. If we go again, it will be on our terms, with much smaller ships (boats) that are one or two day excursions for adventursome people like myself.

Guest garden4cook

Archived