teen drinking on Explorer?

IMO - that is a huge problem that is wrong with our world. A theif breaks into your house and you shoot him and then he sues you because you shot him and then WINS. Crazy! As some of you know - our beloved Rascal got run over in our driveway last Friday and is still fighting for his life. The man who ran over him was very concerned about what liability he would face. All I cared about was our dog and he was trying to talk about who was going to pay for what. I quickly told him we did not hold him responsible, that it was just a horrible accident. Then - he became concerned for our dog. We are now into $1000. and he will have to have surgery this Friday which will cost another $1000. Things happen in life. Life is not fair but that does not mean someone else always has to pay for what has happened to you. If my child stole liquor and got drunk, IMO it would be no one's fault but my child's. Not RCI. Have a great day -

E-Beth PS. The man has not even called to check on Rascal. He is the father of a playmate of my son. Needless to say, he will not be playing with my Alex anymore.

My experience is that they deliver the booze inside the rooms, but..... they have it stowed on a large cart in the hallways while they're delivering it to the rooms. Of course, many people turn right around and put it outside the door with their luggage for pickup by the crew on the last night. So it gets convaluted very quickly. The big flick, RCL shut down the teen club when they realized that there were underage drunken teens at the club. Fault, absolutely the fault of the thieves, and of the kids who weren't strong enough to say no. Peer pressure is enormous, but it's the same old stuff, different day, if a group of kids was walking the handrails on the top deck, would these kids? If not, then why did they drink when they know they aren't supposed to? Because they wanted to! JMHO, YMMV.

This would be considered an attractive nuisance. Someone recently was sued by kid's parents. The kid went into their backyard and jumped on their trampoline. The kid broke his neck. Because the trampoline was considered to be too tempting for the child, even tho he was trespassing, he got over a million dollars. Seems wrong? I'm not going to debate that. I am stating that placing bottles of booze out where a gang of teenagers can find it is too tempting for them to resist.

One teen is one teen, but we all know they gather in groups and what would normally seem like a bad idea turns into a festival of stupidity but quick. Is it RCI's fault if they left bottles of booze in the hall? Yes. It is not their fault the teens stole it, but they are culpable and actionable if that is what happened.

Typically, maintaining an attractive nuisance cases involve trespass and children so young as to be unable to appreciate the danger, this situation has neither of those. If a five year old opened one of the boxes and drank it, you might be able to make a case. With teenagers, not much of one. They knew full well what they were doing was wrong, but proceeded regardless.

I've never seen RCI leave liquor purchases outside a stateroom; our liquor was always delivered to and left in our stateroom. On the other hand, I recall that during our Jewel cruise there were a few boxes left outside with luggage on the final night. I can only assume that it was placed there by the passenger(s). Not very bright of them.

I enjoyed following this discussion, especially since I had read the OP's ship review the day previously.

I think the OP was very level headed in what he posted since it was his real experience with his daughter. He did not place all the blame on RCI.

and I admire all the parents who have been posting about the parents and the childs responsibilities. If we all start from the perspective that the world i.e the cruiseline is a safe place and is totally responsible for our security, happiness, and wellbeing; we will be disillusioned and probably become a statistic. We have to be proactive and take responsibility ourselves to protect ourselves. OFF the soap box.

Just want to say keep it up and I hope good attitudes are contagious.

IMO...Kids fault, parents fault...NOT RCIs fault...even if the booze was left outside the room (and I dont think it is) it is still not RCIs fault..if these same kids had rummaged thru suitcases left in the hall way the last night, would it have been the fault of every passanger who put their suitcase out?..no..it would have been the theifs fault. Stealing is stealing...and it sounds like the RCI staff in the teen club did the right thing...they shut the club down when they discovered there was drinking...

And, I am one of those mothers who just show up in the teen club randomly to check on my kids..{for instance, on our recent Alaskan cruise on Serenade) I just walk in at different times throught out the day and the staff and the kids usually reconize me "HI...they are playing games" or "Hi the girls went to get a soda"...(and mine are 17 and 18...and yes, they did allow my 18yo in the teen club/activites with special permission...there was even one 19 yo who was in there too) all were good kids...On the last night of the cruise there was some 'new kids' in the club who had been drinking, but the majority of the kids, that my girls were hanging with had been hanging out together all week so, they just stayed in their own group and away from the drunk kids...goes to show not all kids are followers and not all kids think teen drinking is cool.

I'm also another parent who "spies" on their kids when in the teen club. Fortunately, I've never caught them doing anything other than hanging out and talking. Fortunately, I've never caught one of my kids smoking, drinking or using drugs.

All I know is that I clearly remember what trouble I could get into when I was a teen and how easy it was to find that trouble if I wanted to. It was harder to say no to my peers, but, learning the hard way I eventually did. I think I'm far more strict with my kids and investigate their friends closer than my parents did. I talk to them constantly about this subject, I get a lot of rolling eyes, but I'm hoping that when the time comes for them to make a choice, some of my lectures will be remembered.

I've never witnessed any cruise line delivering booze bottles to the outside doors of the cabins. I've never witnessed any other pax just leaving those bottles outside their cabin doors.

All it takes is one person over the age of 21 to supply the kids and there are plenty of people willing to do it. It is unfortunate that so many people think that getting drunk is so much fun and that it appeals so highly to young people who are unable to handle it.

We all have to remember, the statement that the teens got the alcohol from the hallways was merely an opinion from the person who posted it and not a fact. There is always more to the story and I'm sure the kids, if and when questioned, will not divulge their source.

There must be at least ONE scenario where it is the KIDS fault.:confused:

Yes, it is both the parents' and the kid's fault. The kid does do the drinking, but the parent allows it to happen. For example, some kids were bragging in the teen club one night that her parents had loads of rum in mouthwash bottles.

My memory sometimes fails me, but I thought that our purchased liquor was put in our stateroom by our attendant on the last night. Is that not correct?

We are sailing on Sunday so will let you know if it is left outside the door or put in the cabin.

Our cabin attendant placed the liquor in our cabin for us on the last night of our Mariner cruise. I did not see any liquor left in the hallway.

- this is why we all need to keep an eye on our kids............i cannot believe they stole the liquor!

I can!! Putting bottles outside doors in a corridor is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Some kids won't try it, but most will think it's a lark, and they don't think about things like alcohol poisoning.

It would make more sense to me to ask people to pick up their own alcohol the last day of the cruise...that way temptation isn't out there for the kids.

Fran in Toronto

i apologize for jumping to the conclusion that the alcohol was left outside the cabins by rci- maybe i have seen it in the hall with the luggage on the last night and the pax had put it out? does not sound right either.......

anyway- when i read the review- the father used the words "stole" the liquor- i agree with nliedel about the kids and peer pressure and when they gather in groups there can be a stupidity festival......lol great way to put it!

i am just glad no one died from the incident- alcohol poisoning - what a terrible thought!

will be going on the explorer with teens this nov........ you can bet they will be getting a much bigger sterner lecture about behavior and expectations and consequences this time after reading this thread.............. and to expect me and dh to be "watching them" like a bad 007 spy movie.....:).... at all times.........................

It was really interesting for me to read what some of you parents wrote, about going into the teen club on the Explorer (or other ships) and checking on your teens.

When we were on the Explorer (twice), I wasn't ALLOWED to enter the teen club - RC personnel at the door wouldn't let me in, even to check on my kids. They went and GOT them, and I talked in the entranceway.

Carol

Well, on one level, I wasn't thrilled, but on the other hand, I got the feeling that RC personnel were firmly in charge of the situation, and watching the kids, and not letting adults (or even older teens) in where there should be only supervised teens.

I have been on many RCCL cruises, alcohol is always delivered inside the stateroom... They warn all passengers not to leave it out, making light that the crew would have a great time with it.

15 year old teenagers know right from wrong.. Stealing wrong, drinking wrong... Parents blaming the cruise line for these kids stealing and drinking wrong.... Where were mom and dad when little janie was drinking ??? Why isn't Janie in loads and loads of trouble? Why aren;t mom and dad fined by the cruise line for their child's behavior? Maybe if this would happen, parents would watch their children on a cruise...

My husband and I were on Grandeur out of Baltimore on the 9 night Western route this summer and noticed teens that were misbehaving as well. Not a lot, but it's probably the same as when they are at home. You have the families where parents make sure where and what their teen is doing and some that don't pay attention. It'll be the same on a ship. We smelled "pot" being smoked on one of the outside decks one evening while walking. It was a group of teens that quickly disappeared as we approached. We were in the only open hot tub late one evening and a group of teen boys that appeared to be 13-15 years in age got into the hot tub. We started talking with them and they said they had been on many cruises and Celebrity and Carnival were better than RCCL. We asked why since our sons have been on both Celebrity and RCCL and loved RCCL. They said that it was because RCCL had a curfew of 1 a.m. for those under 18, whereas they could be roaming the ship on both Celebrity and Carnival without curfews. They then proceeded to light up cigarettes while in the hot tub and that's when we decided to get out. It was not enjoyable being around their smoking. I realized that they must have parents who are too busy having their own fun on the ship to be watching their teens closely. But this happens whether they are at home or away. We later had them sitting behind us at Bingo and could overhear them talking about drinking and getting drunk on the ship. I feel it's both the parents and teens who are responsible for the teens behavior on the ship. The teens know what is right or wrong by their age and the parents should know that they need to keep an eye on their teens, just like they should do at home.

The original poster was referring to a situation on the Voyager, which is where we saw more teen drinking than anywhere else. Some of the kids were getting their drinks via the older brother of one of the teens, he seemed to think it was quite amusing.

Last year on the Caribbean Princess, we weren't aware of any problems with drunken kids but there were also lots of staff members in "Youth Security" tee shirts wandering around in the evenings.

I think that one of the issues is that the teen programs are the weak link in the kids' activities. My daughters are outgoing and active in local youth groups. On both the Voyager and the Caribbean Princess, they complained that the teen program had no leadership. The staff just showed up and hung around, talking to each other and making no attempt to get the teens to mix. If kids made friends, it was because they took the initiative to introduce themselves to other kids.

I miss the good old days when we could check our girls into the kids' program and know they'd be safe and sound. Now, we have long discussions about behavior and not following the crowd. I also try to meet the parents of the kids they choose to hang out with during the cruise. We're also big on checking in throughout the evening - they never know when we'll show up.

Okay...speaking as 21 year old who went through this,as many of you are parents, if a kid wants to drink he/she will. plently of kids have alcohol from sneaking it on board or getting their parents or friends seapass and can buy it (IDs never checked because they want tips) Many kids actually enjoy drinking on cruise ships because they dont' have to drive and feel safe there, my first time was on a cruise ship and I did it every since then. please do not check in on your kids every 5 minutes espically if they are in the late teens, you kids will hate you. the best thing to do is just tell them not to and if you find out you will punish them. kids can make their own decisions and it is the only way they will learn. you can't shelter them for life, the best thing to do is talk to them about drinking and not why its bad for them but the STUPID actions people do when drinking so that they will have a heads up. if you try to stop them it will ruin their vacation.

Nice of you to give the other point of view. But at 40 I still remember your point of view. And yes I hated my mother, as she was the type to check on me every five minutes, (well not quite) but you get the drift. Because of that, I never did pick up a cigarette, never tried booze till my late teens, NEVER tried drugs, and I have my parents to thank for constantly talking with me and readjusting my thinking.

As luck would have it, my daughter pushed the envelope even more and HATED me for parenting similarly to how my parents did. At times she wouldn't even speak to me. Well she too has escaped all the same trials that I did. She is married to a wonderful man, they are both succesful in many aspects of life, and she recently sat in my kitchen and said, "Thank you, I didn't know that I had such a good upbringing." She's now 23.

So, it's normal and I understand why you post as you do. But it's our job, to be a pain in your a$$.

Having said that, it's true that times change and we have to grow with you as you grow and we don't always do the right thing. My parents weren't perfect and neither was I, but I don't applogize for being on top of things.

PS If my childs vacation was ruined because I stopped them from misbehaving then the fault lies with my child not me, and that fact would have to be learned.

Okay...speaking as 21 year old who went through this,as many of you are parents, if a kid wants to drink he/she will.
How do you think we got to be adults...we were kids/teens first
Many kids actually enjoy drinking on cruise ships because they dont' have to drive and feel safe there, my first time was on a cruise ship and I did it every since then.
1) give me a break...and 2) that is very sad
please do not check in on your kids every 5 minutes espically if they are in the late teens, you kids will hate you.
NO, my daughters (and their friends0 have said they appericate that I 'watch out' for them ...they know I care (and their friends have even said they wished their parents would show as much interest)...my girls are not bothered by me 'checking up ' on them...they expect it.
the best thing to do is just tell them not to and if you find out you will punish them. kids can make their own decisions and it is the only way they will learn. you can't shelter them for life, the best thing to do is talk to them about drinking and not why its bad for them but the STUPID actions people do when drinking so that they will have a heads up. if you try to stop them it will ruin their vacation.

Is this how your parents handled it...from your comments I guess their approch didnt work:rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In short I will continue to check up on my teens (17 & 18) and they will not hate me...they are muture children who understand that thats a parents job...to watch out for children...and it doesnt stop when they are 'grown' ...as many parents know...even we are still our parents 'babies' no matter how old we get.;)

Archived