Questions about alcohol onboard (merged)

You may have been upset, Karen, but you still would have been in the wrong, according to RC's passenger contract.

They TELL you that you cannot bring your own alcohol on board.

Whether we like it or not (and it's quite clear that we don't!!! :eek: ), they DO tell you that it will be confiscated AND that you can be denied boarding if you bring alcohol in your bags!

I didn't have a chance to talk to the couple the last morning and confirm that they got their bottles back, but I presume they did. In any event, rules or not, I was extremely surprised to find out that a steward confiscated.

Hope I don't shock anyone here, but we walked right on the Freedom with a 750 ml bottle of Myer's Rum in our carry-on when we boarded in Miami. No one blinked, took it, pointed to the new policy etc. Our Seapass bill was $806 for the week and that did NOT include any spa treatments or excursions. Believe me RCCL got plenty of money from us!

OK..quick question...We have sailed on RCI, 5 times and "carrying on" was never an issue. Our room stewards have always provided us with an ice bucket for our champagne, and never blinked an eye. Now I am trying to figure out if RCI is really cracking down, or are we just more aware of the situation because we are discussing it on these boards? This is my first time on the boards even tho we have cruised approx. 13 times previously.

I just didn't know STEWARDS were allowed to confisicate. I thought that was "out of their realm of responsibility" so to speak. The "confisication" would be done by the powers that be BEFORE you board. Once you are on board, I would think they would kind of shrug their shoulders and say, what the heck, not my problem. Rules or not, that must be some party pooping steward. Wonder if he expects a pat on the back from the superioers lol. I am not trying to start an arguement about should you or shouldn't you or whether it's your own fault to be caught if you bend the rules, but I"ve just never heard of a steward doing this. I have snuck beer on of a brand that the cruise lines don't carry, take the can with me to dinner, etc and have never even had a waiter raise an eyebrow when he sees it. Again, I don't want to start a big debate, but I really don't think a room steward should be allowed to do that. If it was a bag of drugs, a syringe, a firearm, even candles, something like that that he observed in the cabin, that is one thing. But a bottle of booze? Come on...I really think I might say that I wouldn't want that steward assigned to my cabin anymore. They are in there to clean the room and leave fresh linens, not nosing around my belongings. Not to open a can or worms, okay? PEACE! ;)

:D :D :D

Seriously though, this whole thing has my panties in a wad. I was so for not smuggling, paying your way, and doing things by the rules. As someone esle said here, I'm a rules type of person.

Then I learned that you can NO LONGER "Purchase", a bottle of booze for your room! Ok then I rethink, "If I put a bottle in my case will they find it?" And if they do will they put me off the ship? No to risky for me.

So, I'm left with the wine package of so-so wines. Ok whatever, at least I have the ability to sit on my balcony with a glass of wine. Nope! Now I learn that they have to keep the wine for you and allow you to have it at dinner. I'm 41 years old. Not that 41 year olds can't be stupid, but I'm not a high risk person, and I think I should be able to have a bottle in my room.

But, <sigh> I'm sure my opinion means squat!

I'm really looking forward to this cruise, (been sick all day at home just dreamin) but I will consider another lines later if they have different rules, such as Princess did in the future

One option that seems to still be available is to purchase a gift basket and have it sent to your room. I haven't done this personally, but have seen many threads that pass along info where you can choose ANYTHINg you want to be put in the basket, then it is delivered TO YOUR ROOM to consume as you choose. That might be worth you looking into.

A~

Still trying to get everything clear about the wine packages that you purchase from RCL. If you purchase one, where is the wine delivered- to your stateroom or is it stored in the dining room? I would like to have it in the stateroom for enjoying before dinner and sipping on the balcony. Please reply if you know and have experienced this.

OK..quick question...We have sailed on RCI, 5 times and "carrying on" was never an issue. Our room stewards have always provided us with an ice bucket for our champagne, and never blinked an eye. Now I am trying to figure out if RCI is really cracking down, or are we just more aware of the situation because we are discussing it on these boards? This is my first time on the boards even tho we have cruised approx. 13 times previously.

As long as I can remember, it has been discussed on these boards. In the past, we would just carry our wine and champagne right on with us, but due to the "new rules" - just to be on the safe side, we put it in our checked luggage. This was on our cruise last week. Honestly, it seemed like "business as usual" - I did not get the impression whatsoever that they were policing the situation. As I stated in my earlier post, we took our wine into the specialty restaurants and they were more that happy to open it for us and did charge a corkage fee. Also, our bottles were lined up in our cabin for all to see and our steward never gave it a second look.

A couple we met on our Mariner cruise last month brought a couple of bottles of liquor in original packaging and when their steward came to clean the cabin on the first day he took it and told them they'd get it back on the last day, believe it or not!

NOT...I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BELIEVE THAT!!! Sounds incredible...and I can tell you what would happen if a Cabin Steward ever did that. It would be a NO TIPS kind of a deal for the Cabin Steward. SORRY...I just don't buy that one.

One option that seems to still be available is to purchase a gift basket and have it sent to your room. I haven't done this personally, but have seen many threads that pass along info where you can choose ANYTHINg you want to be put in the basket, then it is delivered TO YOUR ROOM to consume as you choose. That might be worth you looking into.

A~

I have read on these board that even Shelly (Just Because of You, devivery) isn't allowed to deliver anything but wine now. If that. Someone else could clarify that? But that service isn't availible at all in Bayonne, which is where I'm traveling out of.

Now I did hear of one option that may be availible. My TA said that the concierge under the captains discrection may be able to fill a request for purchasing a bottle in our room. But it's up to them if they see it fit. We'll see? I'm not counting on it.

I wish RCCL would come up with some solution.

I think that if you smuggle and don't get caught, so be it, it is NOT going to ruin my cruise. It is none of my business really. BUT hubby and I both feel that smuggling may incur consequences we do not wish to endure. Such as not being allowed onto to our cruise that we have been looking forward to for months with absolutely no compensation. No way, not this couple! Thanks, but I will look for the best buys and for ways to get the most for my money once I'm onboard. Are the drinks expensive? Heck yeah! $30 for a bottle of Asti:eek: ! BUT I'm not gonna lose my 4000.00 (family of 4) over some drink charges either....just a matter of preference...

Well that's how I feel honeymoon. I'm just frustrated that I don't have the ability to purchase lawfully something for my room, but I won't risk my cruise over it.

We have a year to see how this situation will pan out before we cruise. If stewards are collecting contraban, then we could assume RCCL is cracking down. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Along with those beers that others have mentioned, they almost always have Heineken, Amstel, Fosters, Red Stripe and Bass. While they almost always have Guinness, it may either be the Draught can or the Export, which is much stronger than the Draught.

On my last cruise to Hawaii on the Radiance that was directly after the last Alaskan cruise, they had some Alaskan Brewery beers left over and they got a small stock of Hawaiian beers after out stop in Kona. They also had a special promotion of Samuel Adams Lager and Light.

A couple we met on our Mariner cruise last month brought a couple of bottles of liquor in original packaging and when their steward came to clean the cabin on the first day he took it and told them they'd get it back on the last day, believe it or not!

If I had a steward that did that....he/she would get very little tip!

Even if it is company policy...they could at least discussed the problem with the couple first and explained why liquor in their cabin is not allowed! But this is JMHO.

Im in the wine business and one of my importers told me that all of the beer and spirits were half proof. Thus miller light is only @3.5% and crown is only 35%. Has any one heard of this? He also stated that the booze that you by on the ship to take home is normal proof.

Im in the wine business and one of my importers (who sells to the cruise lines) said that all of the beer and spirits are half the alcohol proof on the cruise ships. Thus miller light is @3.5% and Crown Royal is only 35%. Has any one heard of this or no it to be a fact? He also stated that the booze that you buy on the ship to take home is the normal proof. I just got off of the Mariner and bought Crown and it is 70% as it should be.

Just based on the affects I feel when drinking wine or mixed drinks on the ship, I'd vote for pulling your leg. He may be telling what he thinks is the truth, but I ain't buying it. There was a thread the week before we left on Grandeur about watered down drinks, I didn't get a single weak drink on Grandeur, every one was quite strong, you don't get that from half-proof booze. JMHO, YMMV.

Im in the wine business and one of my importers (who sells to the cruise lines) said that all of the beer and spirits are half the alcohol proof on the cruise ships. Thus miller light is @3.5% and Crown Royal is only 35%. Has any one heard of this or no it to be a fact? He also stated that the booze that you buy on the ship to take home is the normal proof. I just got off of the Mariner and bought Crown and it is 70% as it should be.

I think he might be pulling your leg but these days, who really knows :)

BTW, your Crown Royal should be 40% alcohol which would be 80 proof U.S.

As I have stated before, I contacted RCCL and they are adamant about not bringing on ANYTHING. I looked at their offerings (the packages) and I will not only NOT pay their price but I also will not drink what they offer!! Korbel? Woodbridge? YUCK. I will not be cancelling the cruise I have scheduled for February but you can be sure I will be paying much more attention to the offerings from all of the other lines. This is clearly a ploy to increase their revenue. Therefore they lose any revenue from me. I simply do not want to be reamed while drinking rotgut!!

Archived