Souvenir books/vs paying for photo op-St. petersburg?

CJcruzer

I had asked before about the camera charges in museums/palaces - I noted that quite a few people said that you can't use flash inside some venues -

Would it be worthwhile to still pay for camera use with a Canon Digital camera - or not really worth it...Also someone suggested I take my regular camera and just shoot with different film (I am not a camera buff, so I assume it is a 400 , or something like that)....

The alternative is to buy nice souvenir books -

CJcruzer

There were very few places in Saint Petersburg that I could not photgraph with or without flashes, although there were some. I was surprised as so many other cities/museums will at least forbid flashes. Even priceless paintings in the Hermitage could be photographed using a flash.

The charges to take pictures were included in our DenRus Value Excursion Tour price, and if needed, our guide, Ljudmilla, got us stickers to place on the camera to indicate that we were "legal". I took pictures constantly, with 565 in Saint Petersburg alone. The buildings all over town are something to note, even if they are not "famous". Even so, in addition, we bought a book on Saint Petersburg and one on the Hermitage.

Hope this helps. Bill

thanks - we have a custom tour with Denrus - so I am the only one of a party of 8 who has selected to pre-pay throught Denrus the photo ops - we will be visiting Hermitage, Catherine's Palace, Grand Palace (Peterhof), St. Isaac's Cathedral, Cathedral of spilled Blood, Yusopov Palace - of the ones that charge for inside photos.......Peter and Paul Fortress I believe there is no charge for photos.....

I was concerned that because of the indoor lighting and the vastness, would it be worthwhile to take digital pictures - or just stick to outdoor ones and buy souvenir books....

Denrus is quite reasonable in their charge for the camera permit -

CJcruzer

Definitely take the pictures and pay the nominal premium for the pink license sticker. I have a relatively standard Sony digital and the pictures we took in August came out wonderfully. I was pleasantly surprised how well some of the icon and ceiling shots inside the churches came out. As I recall, there were only a couple rooms in Hermitage and Catherine's Palace where flash was forbidden. Otherwise, you are free to fire away--- although if you don't place the sticker in a prominent location on the camera, the ubiquitous room guards may stare and glare at you until they see it.

It is hard to guess what quality of photos will satisfy you. I have a digital Canon, but had to use the manual mode in order to take good photos of the inside without using flash. To use that mode, you have to keep your hands steady for a while (no shaking at all for few seconds) till the camera gets as much light in order to make a clear photo. If you are not a camera person, then use it for the outside, but most probably the inside will be not be so good even with a regular film of 400. It is better to buy souvenir cards/books as you like.

thanks so much for all your input - Denrus is charging the actual charges at each venue- so I think I may just save the time of lining up for permit at each place and go with pre-paying - I've looked at some photos from people's albums, and decided I'd like to take some "group" shots of us in these ornate surroundings!!!

CJcruzer

You can do both. We purchased for most of the places that we visited. While we took pictures, they do not compare to the "professional quality" in the books. My attitude is that I am not sure if/when I will be going back, so for the relatively small cost of a book with high quality pictures, I will have a lifetime of memories.

I agree with itsjb1. We got a beautiful book at the Hermitage that you can't get through Amazon, B &N or anywhere else I could find. It was not that cheap, but they did arrange shipping (dang these weight limits!), and we love having both our own photos and the book. My wife and I switched off who would take pictures at the various venues, as we had our tour guide (booked through Alla) buy one for each couple. My wife had trouble turning her flash off, as some rooms require this, so if your camera is fairly new, spend a short time on board ship getting familiar with its operation, or stop by the photo shop and ask!

Name of the Book is: Hermitage, History, Architecture, Collections. It's a translation from Russian, published by Alfa-Colour Art Publishers (2006) published in Finland. ISBN No. 5-94795-076-6 Over 500 pages of beautiful photos and lively text.

Archived