Celebrity's Lack of Presence in the Caribbean

BrooklynGirl2

Personally, the Caribbean holds no interest for me in the summer, no matter which line is sailing there. As a southerner I get plenty of hot, humid weather at home and have no desire to holiday someplace more hot and humid. That is just me, I guess.

We have family friends from up north who sail RCC every summer on whichever ship is the newest. I don't know how they stand the heat!:eek:

Different strokes.

We sailed this summer and heat was actually much worse in North East US. ;) Same I can say about humidity. In Caribbeans it was about 80F.

We sailed this summer and heat was actually much worse in North East US. ;) Same I can say about humidity. In Caribbeans it was about 80F.

Well, when we did the eastern Caribbean in early October a few years back I almost got heat stroke in St. Marten. I assumed the summer was worse, but maybe it's better than fall? It was 90's with high humidity the day we were there and it felt just like the summers we get in the south. When we did the western Caribbean in early January the weather was perfect.

I guess your experience with Carnival is different from mine. I have found Carnival to offer the best value of all mid market lines and that stuff about it just being a party boat is a load of hooey. We are in our mid fifties, go to bed by 10:00 and are definitely not the party hearty crowd. You can find drunks and loud people on any cruise. Certainly the shorter cruises will attract a louder crowd as will Summer trips with many kids. Worst trip we took was RCI - so was the best, so it varies from ship to ship & crew to crew.

I agree 100%.;)

Actually, if you visit a Caribbean island(not on a cruise ship) during the summer, and stay at a beach resort, it's not unbearably hot...you have the sea breezes. I've done it many times, and it is very enjoyable. As far as Carnival is concerned, it depends on the ship which you choose. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

The only reason I wouldn't do Carnival again was because there were too many children on board. I have a child but the kids club was just to packed with kids. It was my son's least favorite of the kids programs because of the overcrowding.

The ship is gaudy but I expected that. It really wasn't too bad after a while. I got used to it. The cabins were quite spacious- probably because so many families travel in them. The food was excellent and the pizza and ice cream machines were out by the pool- this was great for families with kids- pizza was great. The service was fine and the staff seemed to love my son.

Overall I had a great time but have gravitated to Celebrity for atmosphere and child's program (the fun never stops in the Fun Factory 9AM- 1AM! without interruption).

I think its also important to point out that Celebrity has only 8 ships (9 if you must include Xpedition).

That is versus 19 or so from Royal Caribbean, 19 or so from Carnival, 13 or so from Princess, 13 or so from HAL.... and so on.

Celebrity doesn't have the fleet the other companies do to keep ships in the Caribbean AND deploy ship to the wonderful itineraries such as Alaska, Hawaii, Baltic, Mediterannean (and soon Australia/NZ) during the summer months.

We all know Celebrity's target market, but fwiw, over the summer "kids" counted for about one-quarter of the guests on board.

Megabill,

I agree. I can not wait for the new ships that X has coming. I hope that they will position one year round in the Caribbean. Until, they come out, I am sure that a year round ship will not happen.

My family has looked at Princess, but they do not have connecting cabins. We get connecting cabins (one for kids and the other for us). The family suites are expensive.

Megabill,

I agree. I can not wait for the new ships that X has coming. I hope that they will position one year round in the Caribbean. Until, they come out, I am sure that a year round ship will not happen.

Hi Fang !

I agree that its not likely that Celebrity will have a year round Caribbean ship until Solstice comes out, but I wouldnt bet the house on it. It could happen sooner. According to Captains Club, several staff have told me, they get tons of calls asking for a ship in the Caribbean in the Summer. I am still hopeful it might happen in Summer 2008. I am not ready to rule it out yet :)

Andy if X puts a ship in the Caribbean in the summer of 2008 where do you think it would sail from? I'm hoping it would be Bayonne (Cape Liberty).

We are seriously looking at Princess for next summer. I know I will have to give up some of the things I find special on X and I know the ship will be a lot bigger than I'm used to sailing on but I'm sure we will enjoy ourselves. After reading a lot of the comparisons there is not a huge difference between the two Lines. Of course, all of this depends on whether we can get traditional dining. Freestyle dining is absolutely not for me.

For the person who needs connecting cabins...have you priced the mini-suites on Princess? They look pretty comfortable for a family (of 3-4) and are less expensive than the regular suites.

Thanks everyone for your comments to this thread. They were good to hear.

I'm a little concerned ... I booked my family on the X Christmas cruise... I'm taking my 4 teenage children. It sounds like there won't be many other teens on the cruise. Our only other cruise was a Christmas Cruise on RCCL two years ago and the age mix seemed great. I'm hoping this isn't an old folks cruise... not only for my kids sake but mine also.. I prefer AC/DC, a stiff drink and a little blackjack over sipping wine mozart, and discussing tommorrows menu. I hope i didn't screw up. I don't want a lights out at 10:00 cruise.:confused:

I'm a little concerned ... I booked my family on the X Christmas cruise... I'm taking my 4 teenage children. It sounds like there won't be many other teens on the cruise. Our only other cruise was a Christmas Cruise on RCCL two years ago and the age mix seemed great. I'm hoping this isn't an old folks cruise... not only for my kids sake but mine also.. I prefer AC/DC, a stiff drink and a little blackjack over sipping wine mozart, and discussing tommorrows menu. I hope i didn't screw up. I don't want a lights out at 10:00 cruise.:confused:

Have no fear, Celebrity does have a much larger group of families with children especially during the holidays. If you want AC/DC head for the disco at night usually around 11 pm it starts to get going. Celebrity is our favorite, but after cruising on Caribbean Princess in September we have found a nice alternative. :)

Andy if X puts a ship in the Caribbean in the summer of 2008 where do you think it would sail from? I'm hoping it would be Bayonne (Cape Liberty).

We are seriously looking at Princess for next summer. I know I will have to give up some of the things I find special on X and I know the ship will be a lot bigger than I'm used to sailing on but I'm sure we will enjoy ourselves. After reading a lot of the comparisons there is not a huge difference between the two Lines. Of course, all of this depends on whether we can get traditional dining. Freestyle dining is absolutely not for me.

For the person who needs connecting cabins...have you priced the mini-suites on Princess? They look pretty comfortable for a family (of 3-4) and are less expensive than the regular suites.

Thanks everyone for your comments to this thread. They were good to hear.

Hi Brooklyn Girl :)

I would also love it if Celebrity had a summer cruise from the New York area to the Caribbean.

Dads56: Are you sailing on the Dec18th zenith from Tampa? If so, I am too (with my 23 yr old son). If so, go to the Celebrity cruise connections and join our group...also sign up for the cc party. Diane

I usually cruise Celebrity, but tried Carnival the first time with Destiny out of San Juan. School was in session at the time, so there were not many kids and the adults ran the gamut of ages. The nightlife was vibrant, with plenty of options. At no time did the ship feel like an out of control beach party. When the silly contests by the main pool got too noisy for me, I went to the deck above the stern pool where it was completey quiet.

Of course I MUCH prefer the decor of X ships, but there was enough good stuff about Carnival that I didn't dwell on the glitzies.

Living on the east coast, we have sailed with Carnival many times, and never have we seen what people are calling "party central" with loud pax, and non-stop drinking. Lots of kids, yes, but even then, they usually are not any problems.

We are sailing on the Mercury next summer for our first Celebrity cruise, and picked Celebrity because of the Itinerary, and the chance to try a ship that advertises to be a little more luxurious. It will be our first balcony, first cruise to Alaska, and our first CC cabin....it may just spoil us for all future cruises!

Like the OP, I would like to see more Caribbean sailing from Celebrity, although RCCL ships run this route regularly. Maybe that is why Celebrity is not sailing this route?

On the same token, I would also like to see a line other than NCL sail Hawaii as well. I prefer traditional dining over freestyle any day!

Hi Brooklyngirl2

We're with you....wish that Celebrity would sail to the Caribbean in August or September. I guess the threat of a hurricane is too great (and the profits elsewhere are better).....We love to cruise in September as most of the children are back in school and makes for a nice quiet trip....this year we wanted to sail from a port close to home (NJ/NY) and tried the NCL Spirit. Won't do that again........

Have to tell you I noticed you sailed on the Doric....she was my first cruise in 1978.....and my first trip to Bermuda......got hooked on cruising back then.....

Archived