need your help..sun vs crown

Louise34

We have cruised on many different lines through the years, but now love Princess. Recently we sailed the Diamond/Alaska, the CB/southern &western carib. We are looking to the southern Carib. on the Sun or the Crown, but are now used to the newer updated larger class ships. Can you help in comparing the plus/minus of these ships? Thanks so much.

If you really enjoy the larger class ships, then I would be hesitant to recommend the smaller sun class ship to you. Although the Sun Class is our favorite type of ship on Princess, it is a totally different cruising experience.

On Princess it is almost like comapring oranges to limes, both citrus fruits, but a completely different taste.

Unlike Toto, the Sun Class ships are NOT our favorites (we like a covered pool, and a buffet in the back of the ship to allow us to sit outside and enjoy our meals overlooking the ship's wake), but we find ourselves on the Sun Class because we like longer itineraries in the Caribbean, and fewer kids (which, of course, is dependent on the time of year). We do enjoy watching our ship approach each port while having breakfast in the buffet at the front, and we also love the Italian/pizza restaurant (on Deck 8), and frequently have dinner there. It's just that the ships are a little weak on hot tubs and exercise facilities, which are two important things to us. They are much nicer in terms of ease of getting around and fewer crowds for tender ports.

Thanks for your help. We would much rather sail from Ft. Laud. and enjoy a 10 nite itinerary to islands we havent experienced, than fly to San Juan and dealing with flights, etc. We have enjoyed our BA balcony cabins on the CB. and are wondering what the "closed in" balconies on the Sun are like. Dont mind a smaller cabin, but really enjoy the open balcony. Anyone have experience with the Sun balconies?

Sun balconys are a lot different as they are 'cut from the hull' and regular balcony cabins are totally covered, not open except in the front. They are all about the same size, no matter which cabin you choose. There are those that have a larger hole outward, but as for size, they are all equal, about 3 1/2 feet deep and the width of the cabin itself.

Sun balconys are a lot different as they are 'cut from the hull' and regular balcony cabins are totally covered, not open except in the front. They are all about the same size, no matter which cabin you choose. There are those that have a larger hole outward, but as for size, they are all equal, about 3 1/2 feet deep and the width of the cabin itself.

Good description by Toto. The cabins with the larger openings (think picture window) are Baja deck and up.

It's just that the ships are a little weak on hot tubs and exercise facilities, which are two important things to us.

Do you mind elaborating on how the exercise facilities are weak?

After a decade plus long sabbatical I began a fitness regime about six weeks ago, and will be on the Sun for a 10 day cruise in a couple of weeks. While I certainly don't expect the Sun to be equipped with a full line of Cybex weight machines the way my gym does, I hope there will be something I can use in order to not set back the progress I've made too much!

They are pretty small (I'm guessing less than half the size of those facilities on the Grand Class ships), and have fewer pieces of equipment (generally treadmills, ellipticals, spinners and perhaps one recumbant bike). There are some Cybex (or similar) weight machines (probably enough to work the major muscle groups but no more) and free weights (with, I seem to recall, just one weight bench on the Sea Princess), plus an aerobics room (on the Sea Princess, a table game was shoved in to one corner). There are a few TVs mounted high (no place to plug in audio that I recall). On sea days, and early on port days, the entire facility is way overcrowded. Additionally, on the Sea Princess (again, my most recent experience), there was a Pilates reformer machine that took up a lot a what little space there was, and there were classes offered (of course, for extra $), but I never saw anyone using it, and thought it was a shame to have it taking up space for nothing.

I like to use free weights, but often the seas are a bit too rough to use them safely, so I switch to the weight machines. It's helpful to write down your weights and the seat adjustments from home, but you can't always count on them being exactly the same, especially if the brand is different.

If your greatest pleasure in cruising is sitting on the spacious, open balcony then you might think again about the Crown instead of the Sun. The Sun's balconies are really nothing special, honest. Crown also will have more amenities available (but thus, more ways to pay on board). Having been on both the big ships and Sun class, I can honestly say I don't have a strong favorite---plenty to love about both. I recently debated the same choice you have, and choose the Sun because it's 10 days and I liked more sea days. The Crown itinerary only has one sea day and that simply wasnt enough for me. And the pizza on the Sun is terrific, plus I like the pretty atrium. Also, fewer people shuffling on and off the ship at ports.

But, I would have liked to see the piazza, MUTS, the sanctuary (that's a toss up, I expect more kids on the Crown :p so on the Sun might not need it as much), better spa, etc. The Sun probably doesn't even have the Rasul and all those fun new spa treatments people keep posting.

Either way, I'd bet you'll have a wonderful time. I mean, its a cruise!!!!!

Archived