Huge Problem....i Need Your Help

wizard-of-roz

Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. We live in California, he was born in Detroit. No relatives there any more.

My wife was also born in Detroit - we live in Texas (thank goodness) - and she needed a birth certificate quickly.

There is a service that issues Michigan birth certificates for the state. I forget the website, but you can start by googling "michigan birth certificates" Call them and you can get an original certificate overnighted for about 45 bucks. Well worth it. Good luck!

Dr. Jeff: Thank you for the great advice. We got the Birth Certificate and Passport at 9:15am this morning.

We leave tomorrow morning at 7:15. It was cut very close....but we will now be able to leave TOGETHER!

Thank you everyone, once again, for your good wishes!!!!!!

I LOVE THESE BOARDS AND THE PEOPLE WHO FREQUENT THEM!!!!:p

Linda; Tom; Spongerbob; ewheelock; sandytoes; toto2Kansas;Rhonda;critterchick;PaminMA; Redsgj and anyone I may have missed: THANK YOU! I shall take all your good wishes with me............Isn't life strange and aint it grand?

I will enjoy every minute aboard this ship I'm going to: Live-Love and Laugh!! :) :p :D

Much Love and Happy Sails,

Roz

Your prayers, your good wishes, your heartfelt stories; went from your mouths to God's ears.

WE GOT IT!!!!!!!!

It arrived at 9:00 am this morning, via Fed Ex. The State Dept., has totally redeemed themselves! I'm having a drink, on board, in Condoleesa's (our Sec. of State) honor!

I did not sleep last night and have not slept well or eaten well for the past 2 weeks. (God forbid, I may have lost a pound or two)! I've had an upset stomach and headaches......drama!!!!!!

But, you know what, I'm so relieved that all is in order and I so thank all of you for your great suggestions, good wishes and prayers!

I can't wait to get on that ship tomorrow! And meet all the wonderful Cruise Critic family who I've been corresponding with, for the past months. :p

Gratefully,

Roz

Glad everything worked out. I too would be freaking out. Happy sailing!

OMG, I would have lost 10 lbs worrying about this one! I am so glad you got it on time :)

Now you can just take a deep breath and have a good night sleep before your early rise tomorrow morning. I hope you have a wonderful cruise, you certainly deserve it!!!

Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. We live in California, he was born in Detroit. No relatives there any more.

We're going to the Mexican Riviera.

We applied for the passport in July. I thought that was plenty of time for our September 30th cruise. Evidently not!

The State Department didn't mail the letter regarding my husband needing to send a certifide copy of his birth certificate (because he neglected to write the correct birth city on the passport app.) until September 14th. This did not give us much time. We both had our birth cert. in hand and that would have gotten us on the ship, this year. My mistake was to send his to the State Dept. I could have waited and gotten the passport later!

Lesson learned: Apply very early, if time is a problem; use the words "Expedite"; send them a fed ex with a return fed ex envelope (we did this a week ago) with first am delivery. They just started doing it on Wednesday. Every time I called and asked for the status, the would lie to me! I had to give them $60 more to "expedite"! I keep calling them to remind them of my deadline. They are very pleasant to talk to (it's that state employee training) but they don't have that "get the job done" attitude!

On my most recent phone call they said; it has been printed and is being sent out by Fed Ex at 2:30 today (Thursday) from South Carolina. I've called Fed Ex Tracking; they say that the envelope is in route to my zip code, to arrive by 10:30am tomorrow (Friday)! Ship leaves Saturday! Talk about close!

Please, if you guys have a fast track to the good Lord....say an extra prayer for me tonight. I know it's a selfish ask but I am employed by a non-profit agency and I have been known to do God's work. I'm a mother of 3 and a grandmother of 6. I've collected funds for Hurricane Katrina victims and help folks who are homeless. I'm not a bad person. I don't drink or smoke or take drugs (although I have been known to sip a few foo-foo drinks on a cruise)! I just want to get on that ship, with my husband!

I'll keep you aprised as the clock is ticking!

Apparently, someone in the government really dropped the ball on this play! Friends of my husband and myself applied for new passports and received same within three weeks. When I filled my passport within 23 monthes of issue (due to having to make many, many trips to Grand Cayman to rebuild my home there after Hurricane Ivan), the U.S. Government sent me a new one with additional pages extremely quickly. Great to hear that it eventually worked out for you!:)

This makes me feel better. I am leaving for a cruise on Sunday we only have a microfilmed copy of the birth cert. I know, I know, plan ahead. Anyhow, I called RCI and they said to get it notarized and bring our marriage cert and we'll be fine. I hope that's true!

Archived