Luggage Recommendations?

jandn

Does anyone have any recommendations for durable, yet economical luggage to purchase? What types/brands are best for airline travel and 7 day cruises? Are rolling or wheeled duffel bags preferable to stay under the weight limit on airlines?

Does anyone have any recommendations for durable, yet economical luggage to purchase? What types/brands are best for airline travel and 7 day cruises? Are rolling or wheeled duffel bags preferable to stay under the weight limit on airlines?

Macy's is having a close-out sale on professional v atlantic luggage (very durable and practical) right now. Bought two pieces for $160 and saved $550:D

A garment bag is nice for the dresses and suits. I would check out someplace like Ross, Burlington Coat Factory or Marshalls. Don't spend a fortune, the airline don't always treat the baggage kindly. Another thing is if you can get a red bag or another bright color that stands out, so many of us have black bags.

I'd check out LL Bean. We us the extra large duffel bags on wheels. They hold TONS because it expands, and when empty is flat as a pancake!! And LL Bean stands by its merchandise. If it rips or something breaks, they replace it.

I agree with the LLBEAN purchase. My husband and I made a major investment about 15 years ago and bought American Tourister. It was a great set of luggage, but about 7 years ago the corners starting tearing and the zippers started coming apart. This time around we bougt LLBEAN, because they have a lifetime return policy on all their products. I bought two large pieces, two medium (carry-ons), and a duffel. Everything cost about $1000. The room and organization in all bags is awesome.

teechadeb

The extra large rolling adventure duffel is $99. We have one of those each and we each have the small size one that is not on wheels that is $29 that we use as carry on. Best investment we ever made!!! (I am an overpacker and take 12 pieces for a 9 day so I do also have the med rolling duffles that we use also, they are $79). Here is the site.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=35986&feat=33458XS

I second the LL Bean bag suggestion. I have the extra large rolling duffles as well as the regular duffles. They are wonderful to travel with. They really help with the weight limit on the airlines, as well as easy storage once we arrive at our destination.

Has anyone ordered luggage online from ebags.com or does anyone know anyone who has ordered luggage online from ebags.com? Were you/they happy with them? Would you/they recommend using them?

I have ordered from the company, not luggage, but other items. They are reputable, easy to order, easy return if necessary. I will say that their prices are the same, or very close to what you would pay in any luggage store or department store. So, don't order thinking you are getting a better price, luggage is always on sale.

The great thing about ebags is, if you like a certain bag that the dept. store is out of, ebags always seems to have it in stock.

They have a wonderful comparison chart.

I love the Delsey luggage that I bought at Dillards! Especially the rolling garment bag. It's big, has tons of extra compartments and is easy to handle. I have several different sets of luggage, some cheap and some expensive, and the Delsey bags are my favorite.

My dd has a set that is a beautiful turquoise color and her friends that she traveled with (as a dance troupe) bought the bright pink and other colors - and they never lose their bags! It has surprised me how well they have held up and looked good.

How do we know if we excede the weight limit of the luggage before we even get to the check in- do we use the scale at home :confused:. Also how much is the penalty if we are over the limit. (You can tell I don't travel much with these questions)

I wanted a garment bag & ordered from ebags. Got one on sale/closeout and it was very inexpensive including shipping, under $40. I got just what I ordered; could track the shipping also. I was satisfied.

How do we know if we excede the weight limit of the luggage before we even get to the check in- do we use the scale at home :confused:. Also how much is the penalty if we are over the limit. (You can tell I don't travel much with these questions)

Weigh your packed luggage on the bathroom scale. That should be accurate enough. When I flew Delta to Atlanta a couple of years ago, they charged me $50 for an overweight bag. I could have redistributed some things, but didn't want to mess with it and just paid the money.

I have not ordered from ebags, but I did order two sets of Delsey luggage, just last week. One set I ordered from luggageonline.com, the other from luggagesource.com. Both sets arrived within a couple of days, and shipping was free!

I went to Macy's first, just to check out all of the different brands, sizes, etc. We went on a cruise last Thanksgiving and I bought three large hardside suit cases from Samsonite. When we got to our stateroom, they would not fit under the bed!! Huge problem!

Anyway, I bought the Delsey Bristol set for my 3 daughters in the Raspberry color. It's not the most attractive color, but it definitely will stand out in a sea of black suitcases! It seems to be of a good quality, and I like that it's "expandable" and that it has lots of built in shoe bags, etc.

We also purchased the Delsey Helium Breeze set in green for myself and my husband. It is a step up from the Bristol set and I really like the olive color. We bought the five piece set that included the rolling garment bag.

Anyway, no trouble with either vendor. Both sets arrived quickly and in good shape.

As I said, it's best to go shop around at a store, then go online and see the price difference! GoodLuck!

I want to order luggage from LLBean but don't know which ones to order. any recommendations from people who have used their luggage would be appreciated. They have different kinds of nylon as well. Thanks Edna

I am seriously considering the L.L.Bean luggage, too, and would like to get pros and cons on the various types of rolling luggage L.L.Bean carries, specifically the Rolling Adventure Duffle, the Quickload Upright Duffle, the Sportsman's Rolling Gear Bag. Also, what are the pros and cons of rolling duffles vs. rolling pullmans? And, how durable are these I've mentioned compared to L.L. Bean's more expensive Ballistic Collection?

I have the Ballistic collection. This luggage set is solid and roomy, but it is heavy. I would really weigh (no pun intended) this fact in your decision making. I absolutely love the set, but I do have to take a medium and Large case with me on vacation. If I pack the large, which is a perfect size, with everything I need, then I am over the limit. The corners of the luggage have a think rubber coating, the zippers are thick and heavy, the compartments are deep, and the luggage rolls easily. If you have any specific questions let me know. I have no experience with the duffels.

teechadeb

The extra large rolling Adventure LL Bean bags are great because they expand and allow you to fit stuff everywhere, and when empty lies flat for great storage. AND...LL Bean stands behind their product and replace it if it gets damaged.

Thanks so much for your input. Now I know where to start looking for luggage and I love all LL Bean products. We usually take a trip out there once a year for a 5 day weekend and yes they stand behind all their products. Our daughter bought a down jacket there about 5 years ago and the zipper broke. No problem, they replaced the zipper and mailed it back to her. Our son had his backpack replaced twice. great store. Thanks again. edna

I have never used a duffle bag for a trip. What would you put in it that it does not wrinkle, or get broken? It seems you would really have to pack it real solid. Thank you for any information on this subject.

Mitz ~~~ Actually, I find nothing gets wrinkled at all because it is packed tight. I pack all the clothes in the center area to the very top. It fits soo much because it expands! That leaves tons of space on the sides and either end that becomes empty. You can fit an amazing amount of stuff in those places..I use it for shoes and underwear and pjs and bathing suits and sox and you name it...it fits. Also, if there is anything breakable that you want to put in there.....I use the 99 cent rubbermaid/sterlite plastic shoe boxes. I fill them with anything that could break or crush. Infact, in my LL carry on...in it is is all those containers filled with cameras, glasses, meds, first aid items, hair dryer, etc. When I unpack, all I need to do is remove the boxes and I am done. They are labeled, besides being clear, so I know what is in them. And when you empty the bag, it lies flat so it stores easily.

I still don't get it...maybe a brain freeze.

But when packing in a duffle, since the center area of the duffle is kind of small and narrow, wouldn't everything get wrinkled much more than when using a suitcase? Seems like there would be more folds in clothes packed in a duffle.

the center actually is not small or narrow on the extra large duffel. I can fold anything and lay it in flat..and in addition, do so 3 times across. I usually have 3 tall piles and all flat. Putting all the extra stuff, including those boxes on the sides and either end, keeps everything from moving.And I am an overpacker. On a 9 day, for the 4 of us, we take 6 of those extra large duffles, a garment bag, the med rolling bag, and the 4 small carry ons.

Have you used the extra large rolling Adventure LL Bean bags flying on American Airlines? At 17"H x 34"W x 15"D, they are 66" length+width+height. American Airlines website says they allow 62" for checked baggage.

Archived