HMC Questions

Just booked the Oosterdam, 11/21/2004 sailing, which is over Thanksgiving. She does the eastern caribbean route. We have rented a cabana for HMC. Was wondering if the lunch on the island is BBQ, salads, etc.? Also, the Volendam will be there on the same day. With 2 ships at HMC on the same day, does anyone know how crowded it may be?

Thank you.

Amy

good choice in reserving a cabana - it made our day on HMC. We were in the Purple cabana and we liked the location - away from the masses on the main beach. It had a table and four chairs, two more chaise lounges up on a deck, a window airconditioner that ran the whole time and kept it much cooler around there, a refrigerator with veggies and dip, chips and salsa and guacamole, and a plate of fresh fruit cut up. There was an ice chest of soft drinks and water and they brought by cold beer a couple of times, if we wanted it. The snorkeling equipment and 4 float mats came with the deal. We had two cabana boys (my teenage daughters really liked the idea of telling their friends they were waited on by cabana boys) who took care of every need. We tipped them $20 each.

They even brought us lunch to eat there. Our day it was BBQ Chicken and Ribs, Corn on the cob, beans. It was very good, but we were also very hungry.

With a cabana you don't need to worry about two ships being there at the same time. One tip, take a portable fan for the ride over from the ship. It gets REALLY hot in the launches - like pass out kind of heat, with no breeze at all.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL time. Take a camera too, our HMC pictures are the best of the whole week. Also, be sure to get a pic under the sign that says I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever.... it is the truth!

The tender ride to the beautiful island of Half Moon Cay is very short.

With two ships in on Half Moon Cay, it gets a bit crowded, but there is plenty of room for everyone.

I have found the BBQ to be very good, I have always been happy with it.

One word of advice, with two ships at Half Moon Cay, please pay attention to which tender you are getting into going back to your ship. Its easy to get back on the wrong on, then you have to take that tender ride back to the island and get the other tender back.

Enjoy beautiful Half Moon Cay.

How do we find out how many ships will be in HMC when we are, we are on the July 24th Zuiderdam sailing.....it would be interesting to know. We have the yellow cabana which is a bit removed.

It takes a little work on your part, but it can be done. You need to look at the itineraries of HAL's other ships that go to the Caribbean when you are going. Look at the day each one sails the week you are sailing and then figure out what day of the week they will be at Half Moon Cay. Some will go at the beginning of their cruise; others at the end. If it's the same day as you are there, you will be having company.

Actually you should be alone the week of July 24th! The Zuiderdam is the only HAL ship in the Caribbean in the summer.

I just checked. Turns out that we're going to be on HMC on the Maasdam from 11 - 6 on November 1. The Oosterdam will be there the same day from 8 - 4. So I guess we'll have some company.

Since the Oo is a big ship with 1800 pax and you on the Maasdam are the 2nd ship into HMC that day, if you were interested in a clamshell or cabana I would sure reserve it now through Ships Services. Even lounge chairs could be hard to find when you all get there.
Thanks for the suggestion Peaches. We're doing this cruise on the cheap, so we won't be opting for a cabana. But I'll definitely look into the clamshell. This is our first port, and may also be our first time out in the sun in a month or so. Better safe than sorry.

Two questions.

1. Is one clamshell sufficient for two chairs, and
  2. Not that $9.00 is a big deal, but will that be refunded if weather prohibits us from tendering in?

Thanks,

Marc

:)

Since the Maasdam doesn't get there till 11, you probably won't start tendering in until around 11:30.

The lunch lines will be long at that time.

:)

I guess I'll just have to have a big breakfast and eat lunch later.:D

We've reserved the Turquoise Cabana for November.

1. What will the air/water temps be like?
  2. Do you need to hire the butler now, or can you request one when you get to the beach?
  3. If we don't have a butler, will there be anyone else who may offer us drink/lunch service?
  4. If it looks like the weather will be too cool for my taste but they don't cancel the stop, can I cancel the cabana?

When we were there in late May, the air was OK but the water was cold. I just hope we don't pay for air conditioning and shade when we might not need it.

Here are some more shots from HMC ... I posted three others on the other thread (the one about shade).

I LOVE visiting HMC ... what a pleasant place!

Tenders parked at HMC, ready to pick up passengers.

hmc10.jpg

HMC from the ship ... it's a ways, but it's a very nice ride ... not too long at all.

hmc16.jpg

I really should go through all my photos from HMC and post some more of them on my website. I've thought of adding more photos to my photo page from my Western Caribbean cruise oh the Maasdam; I've got a buch of great photos from there, including some wonderful shots of the Z-dam (Zaandam, the original "Z").

Archived