Another question about Marseille

klw

My family of five has hired a private tour guide for Marseille. She has given us several choices and I would love some suggestions. The kids are ages 11, 12, 16.
1. Start the day in Aix en Provence and spend the afternoon in Cassis.
2. Start in Aix en Provence, go to Luberon, visit villages of Lourmarin, Bonnieus, Lacoste.
3. Start in L'Lsle sur la Sorgue since it will be on a Sunday and there is a market, go to Gordes, Fontaine de Vauciuse, and Roussillon.
4. Start in village of les Baux de Provence in the area of les Alpilles, see the Cathedrale d'images, visit town of Aries, and last go to Abbey of Montamjour.
I have looked up these places but can not get a feeling for them. Thanks for the help.

Geez! We have spent months in this region and all those options look good! You and your kids should all do some reading and participate in the decision. Given the teens, I would probably lean very slighty towards your 4th itinerary. Les Baux is interesting and the kids might enjoy seeing the Roman theatre that sits in the middle of Arles (they still use this for summer outdoor shows).

Hank

Hi! Aix is a lovely city. It's a university town with lots of young people. The Market you speak of is an antique market. Roussillon and Gordes are tiny hill-towns....gorgeous scenery. Roussillon has red earth and you can take a hike along a path if your kids would like that. Cassis is very near Marseilles...a charming, tiny port, outdoor restaurants facing the water. There you can take a boat ride to see the Calanques (fjords). I think the kids would like that. You can arrange to get off at one of the stops, where you climb on the rocks to get to a beach. (Not for me, but I'm no longer a kid!) It looked like fun.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

We are using Catherine and she can be reached at [email]catherine@provence-travel.com[/email]. She has been very easy and pleasant to work with. All her suggestions as to what to do look good. She will also bring picnic lunches if you choose or take you to a nice casual place to eat. Our tour with her is next week so I can let you know how it went if you would like.
Thank you to the two other board members for the input on the different areas in Marseille. It is always a help to get other opinions about the area. We will vote as a family tonight as Catherine is patiently waiting for our decision.

We used Catherine 2 weeks ago and had a wonderful day. She was right on time picking us up at the dock. We did the Aix-en-Provence and villages of the Luberon. There was a street art fair that day in Aix and we had time to browse there for a short while and walk through the regular Sunday market.
Then it was off to Lourmarin for lunch on a lovely terrace and a walking tour of the village, including a visit to where Cezzane liked to go to paint. There was a birthday party going on at the restaurant so we all felt it was truely a local favorite as opposed to a tourist stop.
We stopped for a wine tasting on the way to Bonnieux and Lacoste. One word of warning, Bonnieux and Lacoste are perched villages, that means you have to park outside and walk up to them. They are not at all touristy, no souvenier stands, but are just as you would expect to find in a mid-evil village, steep and narrow. People can say what they want about Eze, but it was too touristy compared to Bonnieux and Lacoste. We even had enough time for trip up to the Cathederal above the old harbor, what a view.
We found Catherine to be a very knowledgable about the area and its history. I'm sure you will enjoy any tour of hers you choose.

Mike

Fantasy '97
Majesty Of The Seas '99
NCL Star '02
Splendour Of The Seas '04

Mike,
We like the idea of non touristy places also. Your tour sounded like a lot of fun. Do you know if the village of Gordes or Fonaine de Vaucluse or Roussillion are crowded? That would sure help with the decision. And Liz, I will also post my experience with Catherine when we get back.

Archived