How early can you show up at the port?

lakerat2

We are planning to rent a car from Orlando to Cape Cananveral the day before we sail. Rental shop will shuttle us to the port next am. I am sure there will be a crowd. I believe 3 ships are leaving that day. HOW Early do you suggest getting to the port to avoid the massive crowd? I think the shuttle starts at 11:30 I was hoping to go earlier. Has anyone had the rental car experience?

Leaving Oct 22nd - getting excited

Lakerat2:D

We did this for our Carnival Glory cruise in January, and it was terrific. Had freedom to have fun in Orlando the day before, pick up a few things for the cruise easily, and had a stress-free morning before we left. It's a nice and easy ride to the port on the tollway. We were driving on a Saturday morning and road was practically deserted. Signs are posted with directions often, so it is hard to get lost getting to the coast. You will go over two bridges, as you get to the first one you will be able to see the port - amazing! Look ahead at your new home for the next few days! :D

I think we got to the Cape Canaveral about 11:00. There is a gas station right before the Budget return (that's who we used) that was very fairly priced, so we filled her up, pulled into Budget, and was on a shuttle to the cruise ship in less than 20 minutes. It's a short ride to the port, we were pulling in at 11:30

Port is a bundle of well managed chaos. At 11:30, there was a long line of passengers waiting, but it moved fairly quickly. People were still coming out of the luggage area from other lines when we were arriving at the port. Our cruise was the first one out of drydock for our ship, so we didn't have to wait for passengers to disembark. I don't think they started boarding until 11 am. Honestly, I wouldn't get there too much before 11:00 or so, unless you don't mind waiting in line a lot. If you can stand it to wait till 11:30 or 12:00, you will get on board about the same time, and not have to stand in line quite so long.

You get dropped off in the porter area where they take your luggage and pile it on huge carts - note - there are signs everywhere stating you don't need to tip them, but it is still your choice. Then you get in line.

Port Canaveral is a very nice, new, efficient port. You will go through a series of lines, but they all move fairly fast. From drop off to on board was less than 45 minutes, and we were boarding in PRIME boarding times.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise! :D

If the peak boarding time is 11:30 - 1, arrive at 1. Of course, being excited about a cruise, we usually arrive early and wiat with the crowd. On our last cruise, we took a ship's tour of the city and boarded about 3 p.m. It was great because we just walked aboard and to our cabin. Our luggage was even waiting for us, which mean we got to unpack before muster. That was sort of nice.

There are pros and cons for both, so do what feels the most right to you. Just know that if you arrive too early, you might have to wait before being able to board.

Charlie

The time that you can actually board can vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing.

We have seen ships start as early as 11:00 and on one it was 1 or 2 PM before they started allowing anyone onboard.

We usually get to the pier around 10:30 and wait it out. Like many others, we are just eager to get on the ship:D

Charlie

cruisinbuddy - I too will be on the Liberty 9-15-07 how about you?

I live 4 hours from the port. My family knows better that to be any later that 6am that morning to start our trip..... LOL

I'll be on the Liberty 01/06/07. Keep an eye out for a few reviews sometime after the 14th.

We've arrived at port both early and late, I read here all the time about people wanting to get to port early, to be first on.

I have to say, later has actually worked out better for us most of the time. If you arrive after 1pm, the crush has passed and the lines are much shorter. We have also gotten our luggage faster when we've boarded late :confused: . I don't know why, the only thing I can imagine is that it's on the top of the heap :p !

There has always (still) been plenty of food at the buffet, we like late seating so eating a late lunch is no problem for us. We've been on enough cruises so we pretty much know what to expect around the ship. I'm still getting lost on day 7, so I no longer worry about what is where, I just look it up as I go along.

Most scheduled boarding times start at around noon or 1. You can arrive early, and if there have been no debarkation hitches (customs, surprise inspections, etc), boarding can start early (like 11 or so).

My pet peeve is people who show up earl to get on, then spend the time in line/waiting lounge complaining about how "poorly" they are being treated because they have to wait. Seems like a great way to start a trip, doesn't it?

Archived