Sea of Cortez Cruises......Help?

sail7seas

In the last few days, I've seen some references to 10 day Sea of Cortez cruises but really know very little about them.

Gizmo seems interested and KK seems to really like them. What is special about it? High points? Low (if any) points?

Did you do pre or post cruise stays?

Where?

Thanks for any info. It never occured to me before to consider that itinerary.

Sails we have done this cruise several times and find many of the ports wonderful and a few not so great. Loreto is one of our favorite ports on this cruise, it is a sleepy, beautiful well mannered town in the ways of "old Mexico". There are great restaurants and lively shops.

If your cruise stops at Santa Rosalia there is a fantastic side trip to the mission at Muleage ( pronounced mule a hay) There isn't a lot to do in Cabo San Lucas unless you are a fisherman or a drinker. We tend to stay on the ship here. If it is your first time there though you might want to take a boat around Los Arcos and the sea lion island.

Puerto Vallarta has some amazing statuary along the Malecon. Pichilinque has a wonderful museum chock full of ancient Indian and Mexican artifacts. Mazatlan has some lovely hotels and resorts along the Costa del Oro ( the Gold Coast) and great food. Some of the hotels offer dinner shows with local folkloric type dancing.

There is a lot to do and see there and the people are friendly and helpful for the most part. We truly enjoy this itinerary.

For both pre and post cruise stays we prefer the Holiday Inn on the Bay which is directly across the street from the cruise terminal.

Hope this helps out.

We always go out to San Diego a few days ahead and stay one day later -- due to air.

San Diego is lovely --- Can take tours all over the city. There are many hotels within walking distance to Seaport Village -- lots of quaint, small shops along the bay. WE have gone to Balboa Park and the zoo. Even went down to Tijuana once -- don't go on your own -- we booked it through our hotel.

Cabo is a tendering port. The first time we were there many years ago we did do the Los Arcos and island tour -- really great. Not certain how the new tender piers did in the last storms here a few weeks ago. But the new tender piers are very handy to the new shopping malls that have gone up the last couple of years.

We go into San Diego at least one day before the cruise but always stay 2 or 3 days after to avoid reality shock of going home immediately after the cruise. I lived in the area 22+ years so we do different things each time we go. Pre-cruise we try to book a hotel near the cruise ship pier so we can walk to Seaport Village and Horton Plaza but post cruise we rent a car and go to the Zoo, La Jolla, outlying areas and restaurants.

We really like Loreta and LaPaz but tend to stay on the ship at Cabo now since we have done a shore excursion once and walked around on our own another time. We are going on the Ryndam in March 2007 for our first 10 day cruise to Mexico but we have done 7 day cruises before (and will be on the Oosterdam for another in December). We just enjoy being on the ship and relaxing so tend to do more in San Diego than in any of the ports of call on the cruise. When we do shore excursions we book them through HAL.

Here is what I wrote about La Paz:

Pichilingue (La Paz)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

La Paz has really turned into a lovely port since we were here 4 years ago. Four years ago I said that I wouldn't want to go back to that place - boy - I would rather go there than to Loreto. Back then we had to pay $2 per person each way to get from the ship to town plus the tip the narrator. This time the shuttle service was free but we still tipped the narrator. Back then we rode on old buses that looked as though they might stop dead in the road. This time we rode beautiful new buses. And when we got to town - we didn't get dropped off at an ordinary bus stop - we went to the new bus terminal (it can hold 3 buses at the same time). You can also book tours from the bus terminal. The road has also been improved. Many places it is 2 lanes in both directions compared to the 1 and 1/2 lanes we had before. The main plaza is still there. But all along the water edge, the sidewalks have been completely bricked over and there are wrought iron benches placed about 20 feet apart so that you can watch the water. Four years ago most of the shops were watch or shoe shops - nothing to really talk about. Most of those have been torn down and replaced with a lot of boutiques selling purses, clothing, perfumes, modern shoes, just about anything you would want or need. La Paz is getting very trendy. There were quite a few more shops that had signs indicating that they would be opening soon.

The cruise terminal has been updated - new wicker chairs with padded seats. Although HAL didn't mention this, but in the cruise terminal you can get shuttles to take you to a beach only 15 minutes away.

The area has really grown - new oil refinery - 2 more piers ( now a total of 3) for ferries and freight traffic. New hotels being built.

A couple of Crystal and Carnival itineraries include this port.

What I wrote about Loreto (it is a tendering port):

Loreto - we first visited this port 4 years ago and really loved it then. At that time a couple of cruise lines stopped there. HAL is the only cruise line that stops there now from what I have been told (maybe someone knows of another cruise line that stops there.) Even though the people went out of their way to welcome us, there are very few shops there now. There used to be quite a few shops before you got to the hotel, plaza & church area. Now there are only a couple of vendors with their wares displayed on the ground. You have to walk beyond the church where there are more vendors but still not as many as there were 4 years ago. There are many sections along the avenue that are now vacant lots and it appears that nothing is going to be built on them. As I said, the people went out of their way to welcome us. A marachi band played in the plaza for awhile. Then for about an hour many of the grade school and high school students performed dances from around the world (Hula's, Rumba's, Mexican Hat Dance, etc.). And they still take great pride in trimming their trees to form an arch over the main avenue.

Thanks everyone. You are peaking my interest. Maybe we'll do some research and give that cruise some serious thought.

So....you all think it worth the flight from Boston to San Diego for this cruise?

I'm not partial to long flights so I really need something great on the other end to motivate me to put up with the whole unpleasant long flight air travel thing.

We did the Sea of Cortez as part of a 10-day cruise on Ryndam in April/May 02. Prior to that cruise, we've done the typical Pacific Mexican ports several times: Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Acapulco, Manzanillo and Zihuatanejo. Like Trisha (Kakalina) already stated, the three ports on the Sea of Cortez (the Sea of Cortez runs in between mainland Mexico and the Baja peninsula) are more the old-style, sleepy towns from Mexico in year's past (except possibly La Paz). There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "regular" ports as they each have their own charm but each of those have been "discovered" years ago by the mass tourist industry. It just seems that the Sea of Cortez' ports haven't reached that point (yet). Certainly hope it stays that way for a while.

We visited Pichilingue (port city for La Paz), Loreto and Santa Rosalia. (Santa Rosalia has now been dropped in favor of Topolobampo which offers tours to the copper canyon area). La Paz is the capitol city of the state of Baja California Sur with one of two big islands, Isla Espirito Santo, with its turquoise bays and spectacular white sandy beaches right off the coast. The water is a very light azure blue. Loreto, a very sleepy town with an impressive Spanish Mission, a great place to walk around and have a drink or lunch on a rooftop restaurant of a small hotel. Santa Rosalia, an old mining town that used to be run by the Frenchies, has a famous metal church designed by the same man, Gustave Eiffel, who designed that big metal tower in Paris. Walking around both of these towns gives you the feeling that at any time you can run into Pancho Villa or some gringo that wants to see your badges "Baadges, baadges?? - We don't got to choow you no stinkin' baadges";)

The weather in the Sea of Cortez is always nice (except when a huricane strikes:rolleyes: ), the people curious and friendly and I haven't seen any of the sometimes aggressive (as in you can't get rid of them) street vendors and/or "chickletts saleskids" . I would highly recommend this cruise and see the difference for yourself. BTW, in this ten-day cruise, you'll still stop at Cabo, Mazatlan and PV.

Sorry, I forgot. IMHO, yes, the cross country flight to San Diego is most definitely worth it. San Diego is always a great city to visit a couple days before or after your cruise. There are so many things to see and do there plus the weather is usually great! You can't go wrong in that town! If you have a chance, go see a show called "Tripple Espresso" in one of the small theaters in downtown. You'll be rolling in the isles but you won't be the only one!:D

We are booked on the March 23rd Ryndam sailing which is our second on the Ryndam and to Sea of Cortez. The charm of the towns and the people is what draws us back. Very laid back, very friendly. Especially Loreto (our favorite) and La Paz. Cabo San Lucas way over done, so we stayed on board last time. We had been there 30 years prior and there are too many touristy things there now. We might even do it again a third time in future years.

This is a smashing intinerary. I agree with what everyone has said with the exception that we have enjoyed Cabo and Mazatlan.

Arriving a few days early to spend time is San Diego is well worth it.

We usually stay at the Marriott, a 5 minute taxi or trolly ride from the port. Balboa Park, The SD Zoo, riding the electric trolly to nowhere and the Tijuana border ( the latter being a soft adventure) are all a lot of fun. Renting a car for the day and heading to La Jolla for shopping, dining and culture is also a fine way to spend the day.

The port is a 5-10 minute ride to the airport.

We have always loved Cabo -- compared to what others have said -- have always had a great time there.

WE love it, too. Can't imagine the poster who said there was nothing to do in Cabo!!! For the active, there's every watersport in the books. There's even flying in ultralight planes. There are lovely new resort hotels with beautiful golf courses - I'm sure golfers would like Cabo. Tremendous deep sea fishing!!!!!!!! Great seafood restaurants. What's not to like?? Except shopping, this here granny is still too busy to shop, but there are good shops, too.And in Mazatlan, we particularly like the "Golden Zone" and the show featuring the Papantla Flyers.

Bev.

I've really enjoyed watching this thread. We are booked for our first Sea of Cortez Cruise in early March. I'd been pouting because it seems so far off - but with all this chatter, I feel like I'm on my way already. Special thanks to the man with the badge for sharing so many details. Lets see .... this is October. Still five months to anticipate.

Sail

You say that you don't like the idea of a long flight across country. What about the long flight to Amsterdam/Rotterdam?

I'll be seeing my doctor for 'chemical assistance'. :D

I have never liked flying. Not fear; just total distaste for the experience. Now, with all the discomfort and inconvenience, I positively hate it and am very picky about where and when I will fly. I have to REALLY want to be in a given place in order to agree to go. We all have comfort zones.....mine is just a lot smaller than many other peoples'. :)

Archived