Single Cruiser...Can You Have A good Time ?

jessemon

Hello and welcome back to a solo-cruiser.....

I have so been a "lurker" here...but well now that sheil is back...I donno...and Crusine Suzin 's warnings....I am kinda swayed at this time! I so would love to be the independant one and "just do it" but then on the other hand I really love to party while on holiday...(I am TOO MUCH FUN at times....)..as much as I love/dread my only single female cruising companion to keep me in check....I donno I might come up missing if I didnt have someone watching over me. But then on the flip side....I have a tendancy to make "me" known in such diverse areas....teenagers know me....grandparents....married couples...single people....the cruise staff the officers......walking around the ship having people call you by name is so very priceless....does that amount to trouble if THAT many people know your name.....granted I am so on "fire" when with or without my companion.....but she is sure quick to tell me who is inquiring on my whereabouts.....and well she never answers the phone anymore....I donno...would love to do it, as much fun as I can be.....I dont know if I can leave my standbye at home.....although for me its quite frustrating to "give up" a special invite to a shore exhursion or a dinner in the exlusive dinning areas..(she would be so very thrown)....I dont know...and for her to benefit free drinks et al for simply being with me......I do still have a positive attitude on possibly traveling solo....maybe I need to grow up a few more years.....35 might still be a little reckless....ya gatta have the old standbye....(I know I am sucha "B" word) we shall see.....met some in Cozumel and may take the plunge. in 2007...I wont be "by myself" per se....we shall see, onlya balcony for me...but solo......the price is SOOOOOO for the birds...that is HUGE.....gatta hook up with ebay for the ship credits...sheesh!

Alright Im done babbling.....trying to be independant...but not thinking I could conquer the dinner table at this time on my own.

me.

Enjoy all....

Jeff.....THANK YOU!

I have so been a "lurker" here...but well now that sheil is back...I donno...and Crusine Suzin 's warnings....I am kinda swayed at this time! I so would love to be the independant one and "just do it" but then on the other hand I really love to party while on holiday...(I am TOO MUCH FUN at times....)..as much as I love/dread my only single female cruising companion to keep me in check....I donno I might come up missing if I didnt have someone watching over me. But then on the flip side....I have a tendancy to make "me" known in such diverse areas....teenagers know me....grandparents....married couples...single people....the cruise staff the officers......walking around the ship having people call you by name is so very priceless....does that amount to trouble if THAT many people know your name.....granted I am so on "fire" when with or without my companion.....but she is sure quick to tell me who is inquiring on my whereabouts.....and well she never answers the phone anymore....I donno...would love to do it, as much fun as I can be.....I dont know if I can leave my standbye at home.....although for me its quite frustrating to "give up" a special invite to a shore exhursion or a dinner in the exlusive dinning areas..(she would be so very thrown)....I dont know...and for her to benefit free drinks et al for simply being with me......I do still have a positive attitude on possibly traveling solo....maybe I need to grow up a few more years.....35 might still be a little reckless....ya gatta have the old standbye....(I know I am sucha "B" word) we shall see.....met some in Cozumel and may take the plunge. in 2007...I wont be "by myself" per se....we shall see, onlya balcony for me...but solo......the price is SOOOOOO for the birds...that is HUGE.....gatta hook up with ebay for the ship credits...sheesh!

Alright Im done babbling.....trying to be independant...but not thinking I could conquer the dinner table at this time on my own.

me.

Enjoy all....

Jeff.....THANK YOU!

Your welcome...VIPBY40...

Stop by again...

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

me.

Enjoy all....

Jeff.....THANK YOU!

Go for it and enjoy.

Hi again, Yes, CS, I would and will be cruisin' solo again I have done so many times and am off again in 6 weeks or so...truly its really what you make it, and the opportunity to do just as you wish, be completely self indulgent and not have to worry about upsetting anyone or doing things you don't really want, to but do it to please your companions etc....

We actually docked in Cozumel!! YAY! it was wonderful and made such a differenc than the wasted time getting on the tenders and waiting an hour or more somtimes to fill up and go ashore, or back to ship.

We docked at the Punta Lagoste Pier, right in front of Carlos'n Charlies!

They are still busy everywhere rebuilding, lots of construction, but they are moving long, it hasn't affected any of the stores/shopping at all.

I just went to Paradise Beach for the day, my fave place to relax, the best guacamole/salsa around, great foo foo drinks, all served at your sun lounger, and the $1/minute massage on the beach! great! I always do the $20 for 20 mins, its really good. Clear water, a pier, water toys etc....

Let me know what else I can help you with.

I'm back! I had a great trip. I'll try to give a complete report as soon as I can figure out how to get this red bikini thong off my head!

Allen

Hee, hee, hee! I saw those pictures Allen! You looked like you were having a VERY good time! :D

There's a link to some pictures buried in the SSII roll call thread. Allen had a red thong on his head! And I'm not talking about a shoe! :eek: :D

You don't mean the pics of the "shall we gentleman" at the dining table with the red panties over his head that "Duck " took...do you?:eek:

Allen...are you sure this is the first time you cruised solo???

Welcome back Allen...and congrats on the solo plunge!

Red panties......hmmmmmm.....sounds like you REEEEallyyyy took the plunge.....oops forgot PG rating.......maybe Ill snoop some to find the pics!

Congrats to you.....quite a feat.....did you book another?

Jeff did you figure out where your going with your piano player friend (I think)

CS.....thanx for the vote of confidence.....still trying to conquer the insecurities.

Sheil....we went to Playa Mia, I think its just after Paridise Beach, sounds the same, except we had MAJOR construction going on.....so nice to just veg.....wow I can close my eyes and imagine it like yesterday and not last month....god its already been a month seems like years.....lolol!

Im off to snoop and put my 2 cents in if warrented....lololol!

me.

Jeff did you figure out where your going with your piano player friend (I think)

Got a note from him today...he has a booking supposedly starting this weekend with HAL.

We shall see...could be booking very fast...:eek: :D :)

Jeff

PS: It wouldn't be quite solo but close. He has to row with the slaves in the bowels of the ship when not doing the piano bar thing and I get to hang out in a cabin with a big bed. He gets a cabin the size of the bathroom in our cabins. LOL

That's OK though...he actually during the day gets to interact with the passengers.

Have know him many years now and we E-mail and phone call often. He's been to the home here in Tampa and out and about having fun on port days here.

He is one funny PITA.

Jeff

Shelib4 - Glad to hear that you had a nice cruise! I think you are correct about being able to make more acquantances on a 7 day cruise vs a shorter one. Personally I have never cruised less than 7 days but what you said makes sense to me. I loved the Glory!! She is a wonderful ship! Ironically, that was my only cruise with a partner (my BF at athe time) but it was also the cruise where I met the most singles - some solo and some with friends/family.

Allen - yes! Please post a review here! I love to read the S&S (and other group cruise) threads after everyone returns but I have barely had time to get on the boards and post to my current Roll Call lately so no "fun" reading for me yet but I may have to take a peek and see that photo!!

Hi all! I am back!

I had a completely relaxing trip, lay out in the sun from 9a to 6p every day!

Weather was great, hot hot hot!

I read almost 3 books! listened to my Ipod and had my foo foo drinks, breaking for lunch and then dinner at 6p. I did go to the Dining room once, but was uncomfortable with my table mates, they were a group of 6 together and myself.....I did indeed take the tips offered, was open friendly as usual, started conversations like "Is this your first cruise"? "Are you enjoying yourselves"etc. I got one or two word answers, they wanted to chat together and did not want to include me....so, after that I decided to take my evening meals in the Brasserie.

I could have changed tables I know but when I spoke to the Maitre'd, George the Greek, he told me that there were not many solo cruisers this trip, a lot of big groups...

He would have changed me without a problem otherwise. It wasn't so bad, I was content to do my own thing.

Evening entertainment was ok, I sat in the Avant Garde lounge one night alone all night, with just 2 other couples, no one else came in, yet the band were pretty good and lively. The disco was packed but so smoky so only went in for a few mins.The Piano bar the same, a lively crowd but lots of smoke, so not for me unfortunately....but for you smokers, you will really have a blast!

I was hoping to meet folks but these shorter cruises do not always give you such an opportunity like the longer ones do.

There was no mingling or meet ups..

I had organised a meet up with the group on the roll call, but I was there waiting, noone showed up!

The biggest disappointment was the cabin...do NOT get cabin R239. It is the very last cabin aft and on the lowest deck, right over the engine room...noise and vibrations all night every night!!!! Its my fault as I booked last minute and knew the locatiuon, but was hoping it to be less noisy I guess...oh well.

I'm home now, but I am glad I went because I got to do what I wanted, just relax and recharge those batteries, but I have to say my next trip will be on the Glory, a whole 7 days and my 10th with CCL so it will be a VIP trip and I have a great balcony cabin!!!

I am not put off, I still love to cruise and solo is fine too, pure self-indulgence, and you get to make all the choices!!! Theres' nothing like it.

Feel free to ask any questions, I may do a proper review at the w/end when I have more time...gotta go!

Hi Sheilb4, I have tried 3 cruises solo and I'm going on number 4 in April

I have tried the Norwegian Dawn, nice eating choices. Can eat anywhere you want to. I think it's a good concept. Norwegian Dawn is a beautiful ship.

Then I cruised on the Carnival Triumph, Carnival Legend and now have booked the Carnival Miracle. As you can see I think I'm hooked on Carnival. I love the night life Carnival has to offer. As for the eating part I usually end up also at the buffet lounge. It's hard sometimes even with the helpful hints. I also got hooked on booking a balcony room but I hate the idea of paying the supplement charge that we singles have to pay. It still worth it though and I do love the idea that you're on your own. Mary49

I had a great time..... and the scary part is that I was stone sober when the red thong pics were taken.:eek:

Allen

Can't wait to hear about your escapades.

You weren't drinking before then...good thing...you might have tried to put them on. From the pic I saw of you...(no offense) I am trying not to get a mental picture...LOL:eek:

Please let us all know how that first solo went.

Enquirering minds want to know....:D

Jeff

PS: Thanks to all the new people who keep checking in or are trying to help. This really is great for those of us about to take the solo leap.

I had a great time..... and the scary part is that I was stone sober when the red thong pics were taken.:eek:

Allen

What? No martinis? LOL From the pictures I saw, you looked like you were having a fantastic time. And you're still here to talk about it! ;) We want to hear more!

What? No martinis? LOL From the pictures I saw, you looked like you were having a fantastic time. And you're still here to talk about it! ;) We want to hear more!

Muchos martinis. One or two before dinner each night, and then a couple down in the jazz lounge watching Duck smoke his Cuban cigars. The jazz trio was extremely good, and would come over and talk to us sometimes on their breaks and would work our requests into their sets. Ian, the group's leader, did an amazing piano version of Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue".

Allen

You weren't drinking before then...good thing...you might have tried to put them on. .

The other recipient of the red rose boutonniere/thong panties is the large feathered creature to my right in the picture. Rumor has it that he actually did put his on and was in the hot tub with them on, but no cameras were around to record that stomach-wrenching sight.:eek:

Allen

The other recipient of the red rose boutonniere/thong panties is the large feathered creature to my right in the picture. Rumor has it that he actually did put his on and was in the hot tub with them on' date=' but no cameras were around to record that stomach-wrenching sight.:eek:

Allen[/quote']

As the presenter of the (in)famous boutonniere, I have to say that solo cruising ROCKS!!! It is kind of hard to say that I went solo, because I felt like I knew most of the people in the group already - even though I had never met one of them. If you are nervous about solo cruising - try the group cruise and get involved. We had chats every Wednesday night in the last couple of months leading up to the cruise and then invented an animal called "slacker chat" that would go on all afternoon while we were supposed to be at work. I met so many new people, I'm going to have to double my Christmas card order this year!!

BTW: Allen and Duck were the greatest of all dinner companions. :)

Just to let all the really nice folks on this thread that have helped anyone including myself...you have been great.

I found out a few minutes ago that my buddy (the piano bar player from Canada) got a gig on a ship right here out of Tampa. It is not on Carnival...but that's OK. I plan to book one of these hedonistic ones you have been going on soon. (S&S part three maybe...if you all would have me:D )

It will be on a Carnival company line...HAL on the Veendam. Have cruised them before and met very nice people. Although this will be the first time alone. If He had know yesterday that this was going to happen I would have booked today and left on Saturday. As it is I will call the TA in the AM for a cruise within the next two weeks.

My buddies wife is probably really glad to see him get back on the road...he has been home all summer and probably driving her nuts.

I AM SO EXCITED....:D

LET'S KEEP THIS THREAD GOING FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME...YOU WILL NEVER REALIZE HOW MUCH IT MEANS.:)

Jeff

Archived