Single Cruiser...Can You Have A good Time ?

jessemon

Have cruised before but not alone.

Can you have a good time cruising alone ?

Thinking of starting with a 4 or 5 night cruise.

Any thoughts or hints from anyone who has done this in the past ?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

My 19th cruise will be in less than a month. All of them "solo". Like your parents tolds you when you were in school, you have to "take part" in things. People aren't automatically going to flock to you [or anybody]. CruiseCritic has a "board" strictly for solo cruisers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

some of my 8 cruises have been SOLO and the best part is that you set the pace. You have total control of the remote, You get to use the bathroom anytime you want to. I could go on and on. Basically a solo cruise is what you make ot it. You can do as much or as little as you want. Having an outgoing personality helps a lot.

the one thing to remember is this is YOUR vacation, do what YOU want to do, whatever it takes to make your time more enjoyable.

Enjoy the SOLO life

Several of us travel solo on the CC group cruises & always have a blast. Good way to comminucate with others on your Roll Call & make friends ahead of time. Once on the ship you already know a few people & can join in as little or as much as you want.

Carnival usually has a Singles Party at the beginning of the cruise so you have a chance to meet others onboard.

Go & have fun. :D

Did the solo thing once. When I wanted to mingle, I reached out to mingle. When I wanted to be alone, I went to the sauna or my balcony.

In essence, I did what I wanted and had a great time.

Try for a large dining table.

I usually cruise solo and must say that it has both advantages and disadvantages in my experiences....

Good is that you can do what YOU want when YOu want, no stresses, or trying to please everyone else, etc....totally indulge in anything you want, ie spa, sunbathing, eating, drinking excursions, everything that suits just YOU...wonderful.

Bad, I find the evenings are sometimes awkward, lonely...being a single female and outgoing, pleasant personality etc, somehow it is difficult at times to "mingle" or to be accepted, as much as I make the effort, which you need to......I'm not one for sitting alone at a bar, but will make the effort to go along to a lounge, listen to music watch shows etc and smile, start to "break the ice" etc, but have often found no response, usually from the females......hmmm. pity. Same at dinner, I have been unfortunate enough to be sat at tables with couples, and they often do not want to chat, just amongst themselves....makes you feel very left out, so usually eat in the bistro so as not to feel alone and uncomfortable.

I think it may be a"female" thing. The women don't really want to talk to anotehr attractive female, and the DH may want to but not comfortable....who knows.....

As a man you will prob find it much easier and be accepted more? For sure!

I wish you luck. I will not give up and continue to travel solo as I don't have people to go with me when I get the time off....

Still try to make the best of everything, and still have an enjoyable time. To me it is the ultimate vacation, to get involved in activities etc, or just not do anything!

This is great. I never thought I would get this many responses this quickly. All of them are very upbeat and encouraging too.

Hope to hear more thoughts from folks.

Again...thanks for taking some time to respond.:cool:

Jeff

I just booked my first solo cruise on the Liberty and have already met nice people on the roll call boards, so I'm really excited. I have always taken my son, but he is in college this year and too busy to travel. I really need to have a vacation each year and no friends were available to go, so I decided not to miss out. I expect to have more freedom to do what I want, when I want and meet many new folks. The single supplement is the only down side, but then again, not having to share a bathroom-priceless!

I did one cruise as a single and had a great time! They key here was that I went with an organized group and had talked to many of the others beforehand online and in our roll call. I loved the fact that I could participate in group things or not and do whatever else I wanted, when I wanted. It was great!

Yes, I have done many cruises, solo. I have always had a great time. I am an outgoing type of person and I always meet people. Go to the piano bar a night and just start talking to the person next to you. At the Lido, at lunch, see someone who sitting alone and just walk up and say "may I join you?" There a many ways to meet people and become "just friends". If you are looking for a shipboard romance, that is a subject for another thread.

Yes, I have done many cruises, solo. I have always had a great time. I am an outgoing type of person and I always meet people. Go to the piano bar a night and just start talking to the person next to you. At the Lido, at lunch, see someone who sitting alone and just walk up and say "may I join you?" There a many ways to meet people and become "just friends". If you are looking for a shipboard romance, that is a subject for another thread.
Rok4u2,

No....no romance....just fun.....:D

Jeff

I had to respond as this is funny....I did both of the things u suggested....being outgoing but a little shy as a single female in a bar environment...

I went to the Piano Bar on several ships but found they are the smokiest areas onboard, so had to avoid that as I hate smoke! It is a good place to mingle tho, if you don't mind choking! LOL

Also did the Lido/pool/bistro dining areas, I asked a person sitting alone, if I could join them...they said no! I tried one more time and found that the person was waiting for others to join them...

Now I need to tell you I am actually pretty fine to look at, take good care of myself and have an outgoing, happy personality, very friendly..(I thought)

I do not have 2 heads, or smell bad...LOL so what gives???!!

Still I will continue to "break the ice" my next trip in December! so any more tips would be appreciated by myself also as well as Jessemon!! Ha! Ha!

Jeff - About half my cruises have been solo. No groups involved - just me.:) The main reason I enjoy cruising is to "get away from it all"...which also means folks I know and being able to have some alone time.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy my tablemates at dinner, or a chat with some folks in a lounge in the evening. I always try to be seated at a large table. The more folks, the livlier the conversation! I'm outgoing, and when I want to join in, I do so with no hesitation. Having my own cabin is a huge plus to me (and well worth the single supplement), and I can come and go at will. I really, really enjoy not having to check with anyone else about anything.:D

You might want to check out the Solo cruisers board here at CC...?

The main reason I enjoy cruising is to "get away from it all"...
My feelings exctly. At the moment that is what I "need" to do is get away from it all. Have been on 18 cruises in the past. Everything from 3 nights to nowhere to 11 night cruises. But I have done them all with someone else.

SheilB4,

I to am an outgoing person that likes to talk with people. I can see your point though. Wives might feel threatened if you talk to hubbies and hubby might not have a good time back in the cabin if he talks to you...;)

Just a thought.

I to like the piano bars on ships. I am an offender on the smoking though. I try to keep it a minimum. (Please anyone looking at this thread...let's stay on topic and not turn this into a smoking thing. There are many of those threads you can visit on the boards. THANK YOU:D )

I understand you do not have two heads or smell bad....maybe a third eye. LOL

I have on past cruises asked to sit with people at different times and usually the answer is yes.

People are funny though.

Hopefully people keep giving me the "Inspiration" to do this alone. Looking to book soon and get away soon.

Thanks all,

Jeff

I've never mustered up the courage do it it, yet. Hopefully in the future. It's tough getting others to go on cruises with me. My DF has to b/c I whine and complain that I need a vacation. But if it were up to him, he would just save up all his vacation time and stay home. I get him to go maybe twice a year at most. I could cruise every 3 months, I'm so addicted to cruising.

One of my best vacations was when I was 20 and I backpacked around Europe alone. I met so many unique people and to this day still keep in touch with some of them.

:)

Go for it - I think you'll have a great time if that's what you want to do!

I recently cruised with a gf and left dh and kids at home! What a great break - and a taste of what solo cruising might be like. We were certainly not joined at the hip so there were many occasions we were on our own.

She sometimes had lunch alone on the Lido and ended up sharing a table and making some new friends.

I went alone to the past guest party (it was her first cruise) - and wandered around looking for somewhere to sit - did not want to sit w/obvious couples or single guy - found a couch w/2 lovely ladies from Kentucky - who 'took' me in - we had a fabulous time and I made 2 new friends.

The roll call is also a great place to make pre-cruise friends - and if there is a meet and greet you are likely again to find some more friends to hang out with (if you so choose).

A large table at dinner is also a good place to find good conversation - and if the table is not to your liking you should definitely go to the maitre d and ask for a switch!

Good luck!

Froufie

Solo crusing isn't that hard...it is so easy to meet new people on a cruise ship. All you have to say is "hi! where are you from?" voila instant conversation. Sit at a big table. Check with the Maiter'd to make sure you're at a table of lively singles or couples. Those Maiter'ds do such a great job! If you don't like your table, change it! Cruising solo means it's easier to get a seat at all the shows. As a solo female, I tend to book excursions through the ship and not independently...a safety measure. Seak out your Roll Call for your sailing. Another terrific way to meet people before you cruise....on our upcoming Roll Call we have a group tour booked for Dominica. Talk to everyone on board. EVERYONE. You never know who you'll meet and you'll have a good time.

My 2 cents!

About half the cruises I take are "solo". Meaning just having a cabin to myself. Other than that they would hardly qualify as solo cruises.

Thanx to Cruise Critic I've never felt alone. I've made many friends online prior to cruising with them so it's like a big reunion. Once you decide on a cruise, make sure you get involved in the roll call (or start one)

One of the best things to do would be to get involved in activities and meet others with shared interests onboard.

I sure hope so -- I'm leaving solo on the Celebration next Saturday. It's only my second cruise, but first alone.

Careful TNtraveler - I sailed solo on Celebration in 1997 and came home with the best souvenir....the man of my dreams. We were married 8 months later. He too was cruising solo and neither of us were looking for shipboard romance. In fact, both of us were self professed non marrying types! Funny what love can do to you.

9 yr anniv in Nov and 9th annual honeymoon cruise on CCL Conquest 11/5!

You'll have a great time!!!

My 19th cruise will be in less than a month. All of them "solo". Like your parents tolds you when you were in school, you have to "take part" in things. People aren't automatically going to flock to you [or anybody]. CruiseCritic has a "board" strictly for solo cruisers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

I was wondering the same thing. I went on Imagination with 37 family and friend last year, next year it's over 40 of us going on Valor. There will come a time when my family and friend might not want to cruise, I'm glad to know that other people cruise alone, because I might try it.

Archived