Single Cruiser...Can You Have A good Time ?

jessemon

Yes indeed, I go on the Glory 12/2 and the the Inspiration 12/28. I am lucky huh. Thats why I am never able to save! always have little vacations, what keeps me going with such a stressful job I have.

I see you are going in HAL....I went on them once and wouldn't go again I don't think, as the average age was approx 70yrs....I am just touching 40.

Didn't rate the food much either, but hey!we all have different expectations and tastes don't we, and I'm probably a spoilt brat! LOL

I have heard this a lot from other cruises, but it was a years or so ago, so maybe it has changed....Its all about attitude and what you make of these experiences. I am sure you will have a wonderful time and at least you have a buddy to hang with, that will be great.

Yes indeed, I go on the Glory 12/2 and the the Inspiration 12/28. I am lucky huh. Thats why I am never able to save! always have little vacations, what keeps me going with such a stressful job I have.

I see you are going in HAL....I went on them once and wouldn't go again I don't think, as the average age was approx 70yrs....I am just touching 40.

Didn't rate the food much either, but hey!we all have different expectations and tastes don't we, and I'm probably a spoilt brat! LOL

I have heard this a lot from other cruises, but it was a years or so ago, so maybe it has changed....Its all about attitude and what you make of these experiences. I am sure you will have a wonderful time and at least you have a buddy to hang with, that will be great.

Well that is cool. Two cruises in a month. 7 night and a 4 right behind it. I am thinking of still doing a short one on Inspiration also.

The demographics have changed a little on HAL. You just have to watch when you go and length of cruise. Only 7 days. If you go longer than that the age goes up. That holds true for any line though.

HAL is a little more mainstream than it used to be.

Last Christmas the average age (at least in the bars and such) was under 50 at night. Have been on 5 HAL cruises.

I'm sure I'll find a good crowd.

My buddy JP called and is hung up in D.C. for the night because of weather so we will not be able to get together before he boards tomarrow. What a life...playing piano, singing, getting paid, meeting people, seeing the world and getting room/cabin and board.

We are meeting next Saturday and I meet with the TA on Monday. Will be booking then.....:D

Jeff

Well I am back and rested from my first SOLO! I had a blast - and was surprised how tired I was. I thought I would do a lot of relaxing on this cruise since I was solo - but no..... I met so many fun people I was constantly busy and having fun. :D

My dinner companions were great! Carnival did a good job with the demographics - all single cruisers - two ladies my age - we had alot in common - it was wonderful to meet new friends.

People talked to me and were friendly everywhere I went. They wanted to know about solo cruising and thought I was brave....

I won bingo and got my 24K gold plastic ship on a stick!

Needless to say - I would cruise solo again. I met more people because I was a solo - than I would have met if I was with friends.

Jeff - glad to see you are ready to book. I was looking at the Inspiration and late in Nov there are lots of cat 11 and cat 12 still available. You might be able to tack on to your HAL cruise. The prices are still good!!

As for me - I will be sailing again in 63 more days on the Triumph for New Year's Eve.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I am going to write a review - just haven't got to it yet. Still trying to unpack!! :o

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Well I am back and rested from my first SOLO! I had a blast - and was surprised how tired I was. I thought I would do a lot of relaxing on this cruise since I was solo - but no..... I met so many fun people I was constantly busy and having fun. :D

My dinner companions were great! Carnival did a good job with the demographics - all single cruisers - two ladies my age - we had alot in common - it was wonderful to meet new friends.

People talked to me and were friendly everywhere I went. They wanted to know about solo cruising and thought I was brave....

Needless to say - I would cruise solo again. I met more people because I was a solo - than I would have met if I was with friends.

Jeff - glad to see you are ready to book. I was looking at the Inspiration and late in Nov there are lots of cat 11 and cat 12 still available. You might be able to tack on to your HAL cruise. The prices are still good!!

As for me - I will be sailing again in 63 more days on the Triumph for New Year's Eve.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I am going to write a review - just haven't got to it yet. Still trying to unpack!! :o

Sniff, sniff, sniff. You make me so proud I could just cry. Another convert to the glory of solo cruising.:)

I have friends that want to go with me on my next cruise but . . . to be honest . . . I much rather just go alone. I have told them the date, price and ship. If they want to go, I will run into them on the Lido deck -- maybe.:p

Refresh my memory, what ship were you just on?

To answer the OP's question....absolutely NOT!! Which is why you should pay my way to go along and make sure that the cruise is a good one! LOL

Seriously, I love my family. But I "dream" of a solo cruise where I don't have anyone to pack for, get ready for dinner or worry about...but myself!!!!

So, I've read thru all 13 pages ! Lots of great info on here! I just booked my 1st solo cruise TODAY! It's just a 3 day on the Paradise, but it's over New Years so it should be fun. I just booked a 1a on Empress deck and got a decent deal for a holiday and going solo. I've sat home the last 3 years and I'm not doing it anymore. DD will be w/bf and son w/grandparents.

Anybody else~

Happy Cruising!!

Donna

So, I've read thru all 13 pages ! Lots of great info on here! I just booked my 1st solo cruise TODAY! It's just a 3 day on the Paradise, but it's over New Years so it should be fun. I just booked a 1a on Empress deck and got a decent deal for a holiday and going solo. I've sat home the last 3 years and I'm not doing it anymore. DD will be w/bf and son w/grandparents.

Anybody else~

Happy Cruising!!

Donna

Good for you Donna! You will have a blast. I met more people to have fun with than I ever dreamed of on my 1st Solo. I will be on the Triumph on New Year's Eve - had a blast last year so decided to do it again!

Hello everyone......:D

Sorry I have been MIA for the past few days...I caught a virus in the confuser:mad: on friday night and it got cleaned up today. It was scary. Never happened before. Guess I have just been lucky.

Well it is all cleaned up now and running on all 8 ......

Will look back through the last post I have not seen.

Thanks for keeping this hread going all......:cool:

Jeff

Hello everyone......:D

Sorry I have been MIA for the past few days...I caught a virus in the confuser:mad: on friday night and it got cleaned up today. It was scary. Never happened before. Guess I have just been lucky.

Well it is all cleaned up now and running on all 8 ......

Will look back through the last post I have not seen.

Thanks for keeping this hread going all......:cool:

Jeff

Glad to see that you are back. Thought you might've left on a cruise. :D

Joanne

kathy,

Glad to hear everything went so well for you. What more can you ask for...good table mates....met lots of people and you won at bingo...

HAPPY "NEW YEARS"...:D

I have been on many cruises, 3 solo , it is hard to find people to cruise with they can not get away from work or they don`t have the money. I started going by my self ,it is great !! I am sailing solo again Nov. 7 ,2006 Carnival Spirit

GTV,

I know the feeling. The worst thing is,to me, it is not the money or the time for most it seems. It is getting them to commit.

The prices are so good on a cruise. Where can you go and stay and have a place to sleep, eat (all day) and be entertained for the price.

Thanks for the support.

Anybody else~

Happy Cruising!!

Donna

Sounds like fun Litewait.

Have a great holiday.

Did anyone receive an e-mail from crucon.com/specials.htm? There are some very good deals listed.

Hey Toz,

Yes I did. Says you need to book by the third.

Prices look good if you can cruise soon.

Not taking Paul....are you?;)

Jeff

Glad to see that you are back. Thought you might've left on a cruise. :D

Joanne

With the confuser down the past few days it mucked things up. But, I am planning to see the TA tomarrow.

Soon...Joanne....soon....;)

Jeff

Personally, I've been on 18 cruises (so far) ("Most" of them as a solo cruiser) and absolutely LOVE it!!

I really enjoy setting my own schedule, and deciding what I'd like to do in each port rather than tagging along with the rest of the group off to spend the day doing something other than what I'd REALLY like to be doing.

It's also GREAT to have a cabin all to yourself. I can sleep in if I want to, or I can be up at the crack of dawn if I want to to get a jump-start on my next FUN day.

It's also great to be able to use all of the closet & dresser drawer space, and not have to coordinate bathroom times when getting ready for dinner or to go ashore., or worry about waking up your roommate.

I always make a point of attending the "Singles Party" held on the first night to meet other passengers who are traveling solo and touch base with them throughout the week.

I'm fortunate to have been assigned to dinner tables that have had other singles as well so that makes the "dining alone"issue much easier:-). One time I was not so fortunate and was assigned to a table of 8 (4 couples) . . . (4 couples who only spoke FRENCH!!).

Knowing this was going to put me in an awkward position all week, I talked to the maitrdi (sp) the first night & explained the situation. He immediately assigned me to a different table, and a good time was had by all:-)

My dinner table assignment is important to me. My tablemates become my friends for the week. (and sometimes beyond). If for any reason you're uncomfortable with your assignment, don't hesitate to talk to the maitradi. There's no reason you should have to settle for eating your dinner at the bistro just because of your diningroom situation.

YES, cruising alone can be fun. Can be LOTS of fun!! Just go with an open mind, a positive attitude, and a big smile. you'll meet lots of new people and have TONS of fun!!

BonVoyage!

Annie

Personally, I've been on 18 cruises (so far) ("Most" of them as a solo cruiser) and absolutely LOVE it!!

I'm fortunate to have been assigned to dinner tables that have had other singles as well so that makes the "dining alone"issue much easier:-). One time I was not so fortunate and was assigned to a table of 8 (4 couples) . . . (4 couples who only spoke FRENCH!!).

Knowing this was going to put me in an awkward position all week, I talked to the maitrdi (sp) the first night & explained the situation. He immediately assigned me to a different table, and a good time was had by all:-)

YES, cruising alone can be fun. Can be LOTS of fun!! Just go with an open mind, a positive attitude, and a big smile. you'll meet lots of new people and have TONS of fun!!

BonVoyage!

Annie

Thanks Island Annie,

A table full of people speaking French ...

That is a real reason to want to change tables...;)

I also like to dine not eat. It is very important when cruising. Love the food and would always ask the Maitre d' to move me. Have done this in the past while cruising..

Everyone seems to be really pulling for me to book a solo cruise...:D

Guess I'll just have to.

Thanks again to everyone who is helping to get us thinkers to "do" not think about it.....

Jeff

Annie....I am just beside myself right now....for my traveling buddy day (whatever) it was an at sea day(maybe 5 or 6)......please please please leave me alone until 1:pm just GO....Im saying this to a room service gal who insists on room service at 600-7:00 am for which I am done sleeping and awake, cuz I cant go back to sleep.... I am the sleeping person when they knock on the door.....GO AWAY GO AWAY LEAVE ME ALONE IN MY HEAVENLY BED....leave me alone....but if they knock.....please DONT put the tag out tonight........if they knock I am awake.....THIS is the best day yet for me....LEAVE ME ALONE...GO GO GO.....do what you want.....leave me alone....I am a nooner person you are an early am person...grant me one day of peace to do what I want to do with no interuptions.......geeezzzzzzz.....LEAVE ME ALONE!........this is my only one day of sheer blissssssssss......

It is so refreshing to hear about having a cabin to yourself and all....but still.....yet so scarey not to have a stand by.....I suppose that is my own protocall....(comfort zone)....maybe one of these days...I just dont know if I could make my own fun....make sense? I guess I just have to say is I am envious of all you solo crusers simply because I dont have the confidence that I should in cruising..because I enjoy it so much...not to mention....I adore balconies...thats a quite a pricey cruise for 1....

Im done....

Keep it coming.....Jeff your killing me in thoughts (even though your a dude.....stuff like this is easier)......BUT......NOT according to Annie.....oh geez.....Im done.....maybe one day soon.......gatta do 8 in 5 years.....how am I gonna get there.......serious one day I want to be in the "private room" hence VIP......Im done....

me.

Annie....I am just beside myself right now....for my traveling buddy day (whatever) it was an at sea day(maybe 5 or 6)......please please please leave me alone until 1:pm just GO....Im saying this to a room service gal who insists on room service at 600-7:00 am for which I am done sleeping and awake, cuz I cant go back to sleep.... I am the sleeping person when they knock on the door.....GO AWAY GO AWAY LEAVE ME ALONE IN MY HEAVENLY BED....leave me alone....but if they knock.....please DONT put the tag out tonight........if they knock I am awake.....THIS is the best day yet for me....LEAVE ME ALONE...GO GO GO.....do what you want.....leave me alone....I am a nooner person you are an early am person...grant me one day of peace to do what I want to do with no interuptions.......geeezzzzzzz.....LEAVE ME ALONE!........this is my only one day of sheer blissssssssss......

It is so refreshing to hear about having a cabin to yourself and all....but still.....yet so scarey not to have a stand by.....I suppose that is my own protocall....(comfort zone)....maybe one of these days...I just dont know if I could make my own fun....make sense? I guess I just have to say is I am envious of all you solo crusers simply because I dont have the confidence that I should in cruising..because I enjoy it so much...not to mention....I adore balconies...thats a quite a pricey cruise for 1....

Im done....

Keep it coming.....Jeff your killing me in thoughts (even though your a dude.....stuff like this is easier)......BUT......NOT according to Annie.....oh geez.....Im done.....maybe one day soon.......gatta do 8 in 5 years.....how am I gonna get there.......serious one day I want to be in the "private room" hence VIP......Im done....

me.

Well VIP,

Looks like both of us have to make that decision to just jump in feet first...:eek:

Jeff

kathy,

Glad to hear everything went so well for you. What more can you ask for...good table mates....met lots of people and you won at bingo...

HAPPY "NEW YEARS"...:D

Hey Jeff - Glad to see you are back up and running. I thought for a minute this thread was gonna die a slow death!!

Here is a cute story from the first night of my solo cruise -

Met some people from Minnesota at sailaway. The dad (Butch) was a hoot and I happened to run into them at the Red Hot Piano bar after dinner. He wanted an "Irish Bulldog" and ordered one from the waiter. I had never heard of an Irish Bulldog - only a Colorado Bulldog. Well the bartender never heard of it either - so Butch proceeded to give him the recipe.

1 shot Kahlua

1 shot Vodka

1 shot Baileys

splash of coca cola

We all tasted this drink and loved it! Butch then ordered a round of them. Guess how much each?? $18.00 - :eek: They sure were good!! Of course the barkeep used Grey Goose which helped the price I am sure!!

Got my cruise off to a great start. Then off we went to karoake. Shut the place down. Ran into some other people we had met boarding and at sailaway. Had a blast.

The good news is - the Celebration is a small ship and I continually ran into people I had met on the first day - and as a plus kept meeting new people all week.

I expected a relaxing cruise all by myself. Instead, when I got home the first thing I had to do was TAKE A NAP!!:D

60 days til New Year's!!;)

Archived