QE2 Jan 2008-April 2008 World Cruise

ColumbiaSC

I am sailing for the first time on the QE2 for the 90-day voyage from NYC on Jan 13, 2008, and ending in NYC on April 12. 2008. My first voyage was on the SS France in 1969. I shall be in a Single Occupancy M1 Inside Cabin on Deck 2 -- No. 2014. (Yes, I know the size, but I will just have to live with it, unless I win the Lottery before departure.) I look forward to this trip of a lifetime and hope to meet many interesting people. I am a Professor Emeritus of English, and my greatest joy is my son, an attorney in Atlanta. I would appreciate any and all helpful suggestions and hints about how to best be prepared for this QE2 adventure. Do's and Don't's. Do I rush to the Sun Deck when we depart from NYC with the Queen Victoria?

I am sailing for the first time on the QE2 for the 90-day voyage from NYC on Jan 13, 2008, and ending in NYC on April 12. 2008. My first voyage was on the SS France in 1969. I shall be in a Single Occupancy M1 Inside Cabin on Deck 2 -- No. 2014. (Yes, I know the size, but I will just have to live with it, unless I win the Lottery before departure.) I look forward to this trip of a lifetime and hope to meet many interesting people. I am a Professor Emeritus of English, and my greatest joy is my son, an attorney in Atlanta. I would appreciate any and all helpful suggestions and hints about how to best be prepared for this QE2 adventure. Do's and Don't's. Do I rush to the Sun Deck when we depart from NYC with the Queen Victoria?

You will love this ship! She is classy and without compare. I am going solo on the 2007 world cruise, and I will keep you posted. Although QE2 is a formal and dressy ship, she is very friendly. I am also an English major who has taught both in high school and university.

My wife and I plan to be aboard from Sydney to LA. We've sailed on the QE2 twice before, but never on her World Cruise. If you should have any specific questions about the ship or its services, we'll try to answer them for you.

No need to rush to see the QV sailing from New York, you'll see her sail again in both Ft. Lauderdale and Sydney.

ColumbiaSC:

You might try going to www.deluxecruises.com, click on "Cunard Cruises", then scroll down to "Queen Elizabeth 2", and you'll find "QE2 Deck Plans" - click on that. This will give you larger format QE2 deck plans to look at, and also -if you look carefully- information, by cabin grade, on cabin size. If you scroll down far enough, you'll see the chart for "MI" grade cabins(including your currently assigned cabin, #2014). This should give you a good idea as to what you might want to request.

Tom

deluxecruises.com is a good site but you need to be a bit careful as the QE2 deck plans are not up to date re grade classification (M4s listed as M5s (or was it the other way round?) etc.). Best to go to Cunard's site to get the latest deck plans, then cross reference individual cabins for size etc. on deluxecruises ignoring the cabin categories

deluxecruises.com is a good site but you need to be a bit careful as the QE2 deck plans are not up to date re grade classification (M4s listed as M5s (or was it the other way round?) etc.). Best to go to Cunard's site to get the latest deck plans, then cross reference individual cabins for size etc. on deluxecruises ignoring the cabin categories

Yes, Spinnaker is correct - the cabin categories have indeed been modified in some cases. Definitely use both the Cunard and the Deluxe Cruises websites to determine what you'd like. (Really, the great thing that the Deluxe Cruises website offers is the listing of cabin size/sq. ft.)

Tom

All the MI cabins are small and have a shower. There is 1 single cabin in that category, however, which has a larger bathroom with a tub at the same rate. I do not recall the number which cannot be determined from generic deck plans. I am not at home at the moment, but later today when I am back home I will check my detailed deck plans and let you know which cabin it is. I thought you might be interested in having the luxury of a tub bathroom for a longer cruise.

The QE2 is a unique experience, and I think you will enjoy sailing in this legendary liner. Although she is a bit quirky and eccentric, one is aware of history and sailing in the most famous ship in the world while aboard. And that is a blast in itself!

For QE2 Jan-April 2008 World Voyage, I have been told by Cunard that M1 Single Occupancy 1010, 1011 (with 100 square feet) and 2130 (with 108 square feet) are occupied, so I am still in 2014, with 79 square feet. That's the way the cookie crumbles! I was also told (or my travel agent was told) that there was no wait-listing. I think that this is odd since if there were a cancellation and I wanted the stateroom, then why not have the computer chase me down? LOL.

A friend and I are planning to be on that cruise ... we are doing New York to Los Angeles. M1 outside cabin (unless I beat you to the lottery). We are also college prof types (Archaeology, Biology). We are starting to panic early on the packing situation.... formal night? How many dresses, etc. but we are excited about the trip. See you then!

• 2 weeks later...

Much to early for me to panic about packing for January 2008. Easier for a man. One black tux and a dark suit will have to do for formal evenings over 90 days! Surely the dry cleaners can do their job. I can do laundry (wrinkle-free shirts and underwear) free in the QE2 and hear the gossip at the same time. LOL. Other clothing (Navy Blazer, for example) for informal and casual can be mixed and matched. i am not going to get uptight about anything. I will go with the flow. By the way, can one get VCR tapes from the QE2 Library to play in one's stateroom? :rolleyes:

I can't speak for Grill or Caronia class cabins, but as recently as January I did not have a VCR (or DVD player) in my Mauretania M1 cabin.

Tom

PG doesn't get them either - can't speak for QG. Grill cabins used to have VCRs and they loaned tapes from a room between the Theatre Bar and the photographers - but that was a while back.

PG doesn't get them either - can't speak for QG. Grill cabins used to have VCRs and they loaned tapes from a room between the Theatre Bar and the photographers - but that was a while back.

I had a single Queens Grill QG cabin on one deck. It just had a TV but no VCR or something like that. Lovely Cabin though

Reint

I wish that Cunard would do away with those unslightly, clunky large TVs that sit on crude shelves in most of the categories. Even the ones in the Grill and C-1 cabins are outdated and an eyesore. If the ship is going to be around longer, I would love to see clean, flat panel Tvs. I am not a big TV watcher anywhere, but I just can't stand to look at those clunky boxes on shelves with wires hanging around.

Needed to rant a bit.

I agree Bobby. A flat panel TV would give more space in a very small room and clean up the look quite a bit. A better AC system would help the ship also.

I just got off the phone with Cunard, they are having no trouble getting people to sail on the QE 2. Now the QM 2, that's another story. I think the QE 2 will be around for a while. :)

There is a video recorder in the Queen Elizabeth Suite. We've never used it. There isn't in the Q2s on the Signal Deck.

It has (two) CRT TVs - no flat screen. At least the one in the sitting room is set into a cupboard so it looks okayish.

The one in the bedroom is just like a QG single, only about 20" rather than 14".

Mind you, as they always show "Casablanca" at some stage on a trip I'm happy!

About gratuities. For the 90-day voyage 2008 Cunard has assured my TA that all gratuities for room and restaurant and "hotel" are included in what I am paying. I realize that a gratuity is added to bar bills or bills in the spa, for example. I therefore have no intention of tipping my room steward or waiter, etc. anything else, as I believe that my TIP has been already paid in my bill. Am I not right in this? After all, what is the purpose of the policy if this is not true? Any reactions?

I think your TA is mistaken ..... there is an automatic charge added to your bill at the end of the cruise in addition to any charges you made - like shore trips, drinks, etc.. Others can verify, but my TA was pretty clear on this point. The amount is by the accomodation level ... I think it is $11.00 per day for the M level and covers room steward, dining etc .... but not spa or drinks.

About gratuities. For the 90-day voyage 2008 Cunard has assured my TA that all gratuities for room and restaurant and "hotel" are included in what I am paying. I realize that a gratuity is added to bar bills or bills in the spa, for example. I therefore have no intention of tipping my room steward or waiter, etc. anything else, as I believe that my TIP has been already paid in my bill. Am I not right in this? After all, what is the purpose of the policy if this is not true? Any reactions?

I'm fairly sure that gratuities are included if you book the entire WC. We only tip above the daily amount if we receive exceptional service or want something out of the ordinary. What we have found in the past though is that the waiters hang round at breakfast on the final morning waiting for that extra tip - it can be quite embarrassing so be prepared:)

Archived