Loved Regent...can Oceania Compare?

marylizbeth

Hi there

Recently returned from an Alaska cruise on the Mariner (yes we were on the ill fated cruise that had an engine go out!)

It was my first cruise...and in spite of all the excitement about the engine I still loved it.

Oceania has an itinerary that we really like but we are wondering if we have been spoiled on Regent. Will Oceania disappoint us?--for those of you who have sailed on both.

Oh, and in regard to the problems with Mariner...when we were on it we were going an average of 6 knots an hour for about 30 hours between Sitka and Whittier. ! And it was pretty rocky a good part of that time.

Still we had a good time.

Thanks for any advice.

Marylizbeth

Oceania is very nice. I think you will like it. You may feel as though they nickel and dime you because they charge for soft drinks and wine at dinner. However, they cost less. So put the difference of the cost of the trip between what Regent charges and what Oceania charges and set it aside for your trip. Then buy whatever you want on the trip and you will still probably have some money left over. :D

Seriously the food and service are exceptional. I think you will be pleased.

True, unless you are like me, and just hate being a "captive market" for beverages of all kinds, and such. Also, for your economic comparisson, you will have to upgrade to a PH suite on Oceania to have accomodations like you had on Regent.

BUT, if you really like classic traditional interior design in the interior of the ships, Oceania wins hands down. To me, Regent is far to contemporary and stark.

The passenger to space ratio on Oceania is not close to as good on Regent, so expect a more crowded feelin onboard.

Haven't been on Oceania, but those who know better than I say the food and service in the dining room is at least as good, if not better.

Excursions, and thge excursion desk, have been reported as being a bit lacking. But if you ususally book your own, no matter.

Frankly, if Oceania would include soft drinks and bottled water, along with a fridge in the suites, I'd probably take it, as my "booze bill" usually isn't that much. But we DO drink a lot of sof drinks, and you'd be urprised how those add up. With airline luggage weight limits now, it is difficult to bring your own. BTW, my wife has a medical condition where she need A LOT of water. So a fridge sticked with much bottled water is not a luxury for us -- but a necessity.

Also, Oceania is all open ining and all casual. And to us, that is a good thing. So, bottom line, we just wish Oceania would not be so "cheap out" on providing room fridges and included bottled water adn soft drinks. If they did so, we'd probably give them a try.

Thanks,l

Richard

Yes, that is my understanding also -- that one must book a PH or higher to get a room fridge on Oceania. In contrast, there are fridges in ALL suites on Regent Dependent on one's peronal needs, this is just part of the "math" one must do in comparing the two lines.

Oceania has a bit more of a "class system" than does Regent or Silversea. For example, if one books a PH or higher, there are priorities in booking alernative restaruants, etc.

Thanks,

Richard

Marylizbeth, don't know anything about Oceania so can't help you out there but just want to say that I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you on MUSH. I remember your name being on our roll call but I thought you must have had to cancel at the last minute? Happy you made it and had a good time. Were you at our Latitudes dinner? You must do a good job of hiding......LOL.:D

Hi Marcie...

Actually I don't think I was on roll call....I just found out about it after our cruise...sorry that I missed you on the ship. Maybe there was another Marylizbeth?

Next time I will sign up.

Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Best,

M

For what its worth....the refrigerator comes with Consierge cabins and above. Food is excellent. Casusal dress is great. Shore excursions are VERY OVERPRICED and pretty bad. For almost all ports we had private guides for half the price and twice the time spent. I don't know if this is a personal thing or not but we found the passengers on Regent much more pleasant and comfortable to be with. Also, we did our own air (business class) and got a nice reduction from Oceania. Once you get hooked on luxury ships, unfortunatly, you (or us) get hooked. Glad to answer any specific questions.

(Also, aside from the drinks, water, etc. you have to pay gratuities). Maxine

I've been on both Regent (Radisson) and Oceania shore excursions in the Carribean. I had read lots of negatives about Oceania's shore excursions and wasn't expecting much. The truth is we were pretty impressed with the excursions staff on both lines. We like to do a few tours and go on our own the rest of the time. On Oceania the staff had arranged for someone from the local area to be on board the ship with tourist info, so if you were on your own the local person was there with up to date info--unlike the cruise line's brochures, with references to long-since-cancelled bus service. Some excursions ended up being cancelled on our Oceania trip for lack of interest, but we tried to get on them at the last minute so we can't complain too much. We didn't find the tours we took overpriced--I wonder f that's more of a problem in Europe? One tour we took was excellent; another left a lot to be desired and generated many complaints, which the staff noted graciously and passed on to management (but no compensation). Our Radisson experience was also positive--when we docked in the rain, we were actually given an opportunity to cancel a beach excursion. Never saw that on the big-ship lines!

No question, though--the Regent cabins are much larger and much nicer. We enjoyed breakfast on our balcony, but the Oceania balcony didn't really have room for eating on it.

Regent is hands down more for the money.

I sailed Oceania's Insignia from Buenos Aires to Rio in February so I think I got a good taste of the product.

Food was good, but not as good as they advertise.

Service......more mass market than upscale. Crew works on a comission to sell drinks...so every minute it was ...would you like something....no, I haven't finished this one.

Although I liked the size of the ship..the interior was too English country home for me....but thats a personal thing.

To me Oceania is a small scale Celebrity cruise line, nothing wrong, but not in the next step up which I put Regent in.

Final note...on Regent the crew doesn't seem to know the word no.....only yes. Perhaps this is because they do not work for tips. Oceania ...there were a lot of no's.....to me this is the big dividing line from mass market to upper scale. I avoid the term luxury...because it is the ability to travel by ship thats is luxury in itself. But if I have the choice....its regent all the way.

In 2 weeks I will be on Princess.......lets see how they stack up with Oceania.

I'd be very interested in your Princess comments. There is no way I can imagine they're in the same class as Regent, but we have a cruise booked for next year for a week and wonder what they're like. We love Regent, but found Oceania to be quite good, also. As I said in an earlier post, they're our two favorite lines.

Now here's a twist. We were booked on Oceania last year but needed to cancel once I learned of the no smoking on balcony regulation. Although my spouse and I are both non smokers we travel with 2 other couples and one of each of these 2 couples smokes. To make it pleasurable to all 6 of us we cancelled our Oceania cruise and rebooked a similar Med cruise on Regent, our very favorite cruise line. BTW, the 2 friends we travel with never smoke in their cabins, only on their own private balcony so no reason for any anti smoking flaming discussion.

Back in the "old days" before 2000, many cruise lines had designated smoking rooms and suites in certain parts of the ships, in locations that were selected so as to not disturb those who find tobacco smoke offensive. This was a good program, IMO, as it recognized the "rights" and "problems" of all. It's a shame they don't do this any longer.

Thanks,

Richard

Which leads me to an interesting question. When you reserve a hotel room, you have a choice of smoking or non-smoking. If you are not a smoker and end up in a smoking room, you can tell immediately. It's in the pillows, linens, etc.

Now, on a ship there is no choice of smoking/non-smoking. If there was a smoker in the room just before your cruise, how do they get the smell out? I've never been on a cruise where I could tell or not tell if there was a smoker before us.

Anybody know?

I haven't heard any word about Regent not allowing smoking in cabins or balconies next year??.... BUT I hope not. I smoke, my husband does not so I smoke on my balcony but not in the cabin. If smoking is banned from Regent balconies I guess I'll be finding a new cruise line. (saying a lot considering I LOVE Regent and am Platinum with all the perks!)

Archived