Recent Cruisers: Bringing Liquor Aboard?

charlielinda

We're a month away from our cruise and want to find out folks experience in the past six weeks or so. Thanks!

Just a simple question: Has anyone returned from a recent cruise since the new "improved" rule has been announced and what was your experience if they tried to bring liquor aboard?

I am hoping that this does not become another discussion about those who bring liquor aboard and those of who you think that no one should bring liquor aboard. I do know the rule is that you are not allowed to bring liquor aboard.

We brought a bottle of Rum on board in our checked bag, no problem.

Plus at 2 different ports we bought liquor back on board in the original sack, Calvados and Muscatel. Again no one said a thing.

We did not bring wine on board so we did not take anything to dinner.

the wine list from Muranos on the Century is very extensive and we found many bottles to our liking.

Francine

Was in the Med on Millennium on the 9/11 sail and a couple in our party asked the guys at the x-ray scanners if they could pop into the duty-free shop and pick up some alcohol to bring on. Their response? "Sure, go ahead!"

We also bought wine in many of the ports and carried it on with no issues. Not one bottle was "confiscated" or "held". It was great. Of course, this didn't stop any of us from racking up pretty impressive bills for on-board alcohol - we found a favorite bartender in the Cova Cafe who proved to be a delight.

we just returned from 14 days on Celebrity Century from Amstersdam to Barcelona, after paying $75 the first evening for 2 bottles of wine in our stateroom, we then bought wine ashore at least 4 bottles each time and had NO problem bringing it aboard....we used this in our stateroom and bought wine at dinner. We are going in Dec. to Hawaii and plan to take wine on board plus a bottle of vodka in our suitcase. No we are not alcholics, just enjoy a glass or two on the veranda before we go to dinner and we always go to Michaels club after dinner for a brandy....have fun everyone!

we just returned from 14 days on Celebrity Century from Amstersdam to Barcelona, after paying $75 the first evening for 2 bottles of wine in our stateroom, we then bought wine ashore at least 4 bottles each time and had NO problem bringing it aboard....we used this in our stateroom and bought wine at dinner. We are going in Dec. to Hawaii and plan to take wine on board plus a bottle of vodka in our suitcase. No we are not alcholics, just enjoy a glass or two on the veranda before we go to dinner and we always go to Michaels club after dinner for a brandy....have fun everyone!

We just returned from the 14-day Alaska on the Summit - Sept 16-30.

If you safely pack your "stuff" in the checked baggage and have it go through the airport security and directly on the ship, you will have no problem! We had to pay the airline for two of our bags exceeding the 50 lb limit, but it was a savings at the other end...brought 8 bottles of vino along for the cruise!

I was on the 9/16 to Bermuda on Zenith out of Cape Liberty and decided not to try to "smuggle" wine on in my suitcase because if they were going to be strict with the new policy I didn't want any problems. I decided to just carry on in plain view. I put a bottle of wine and a beer and a bottle of water in a small, soft insulated cooler, said to my husband "if they want to take it just let them take it...it isn't worth arguing about". The screener put the cooler right up on the x-ray machine, ran it through and never said one word...

Just returned from the Galaxy Med cruise, and I can say there was no problem with the bottle in our checked luggage, but certainly problems with bringing liquor from the ports. This includes wine, unless one was to make arrangement and have the wine served at dinner - with a $15.00 corking fee. Bags were x-rayed and bottles of wine or liquor were removed and stored, and returned on the last full day of the cruise.

Gerry

Just returned from the Infinity (Panama Canal). Had several days in San Francisco first. Bought a small styrofoam cooler there and brought the beer, soda, milk, etc. that we had left over. Put through the xray, it spilled, they had to stop everything and wipe it off but they never said a word about what we had in it. Was also handy for storing things in and keeping filled with ice in the room.

The hotel where we stayed gave us a bottle of champagne that we did not drink. Had in my carry on and not a word was said. Had several bottles of wine we collected in SF from the wineries, packed in checked luggage and came through to the room with no problem.

This was a 14 day cruise with the youngest people probably late 50's. That may have triggered the quick boarding process, but feel that they in no way inhibited our ability to bring our own on board.

Incidentally, we had bought a liquor package to be legal as well. The liquor shop on board was also very accommodating for letting us bring special liquors to our room. We were in a suite, but I don't think that made a difference.

Did not buy any liquor on shore and bring back on, so don't know if it would be taken when returning to the ship, my guess is probably would, but don't know one way or the other.

Hope this helps.

Archived