Anyone take a service Dog on board ship

lilkrz

I too take my service dog with me when I cruise. I believe that that poor dog that had the accident was probably a little sea sick. ( It affects dogs differently sometimes) Service dogs are usually trained to "go" on command. I have always been offered either a sand box or a plot of grass up on one of the out of the way decks but since my dog is small (only 10 lbs.) she is litter trained like a cat so I just bring her own box and keep it in my room. My husband or myself clean up after her NEVER THE STAFF they have enough to do. My dog too has a life jacket and attends the drill. People laugh at her jacket but she couldn't swim much further than I could. :) There is a lot of paperwork to get a dog on board a ship and you must check with every island yourself to check on the rules about taking your dog off the ship. Some island just require shot records be up to date and the paperwork to proove it, others will not let her off the ship at all. Really the only problem that I have is that everyone wants to pet her and most of us know that that is a big no no, but if she is not working at the time I do allow her a little "worship" time. She really loves the attention but not with her working vest on! She will turn her head and totally ignor others around her. She is a darling and my lifeline and I love her to death. Just incase you couldn't tell.:eek: She has been on 3 RCCL, 1 Carnival, and 1 NCL cruise. I always come into the dining room early and she just slides under the table. Really people wouldn't even know she was there if I didn't say something. I always tell people right away that she is there thought for a number of reasons. First so they don't accidently kick her and also if they don't want to eat with her they can be moved. So far no one has asked to be moved but are more likely to be interested in why she is there and what she does. Makes for an easy first nights dinner conversation.

I too take my service dog with me when I cruise. I believe that that poor dog that had the accident was probably a little sea sick. ( It affects dogs differently sometimes) Service dogs are usually trained to "go" on command. I have always been offered either a sand box or a plot of grass up on one of the out of the way decks but since my dog is small (only 10 lbs.) she is litter trained like a cat so I just bring her own box and keep it in my room. My husband or myself clean up after her NEVER THE STAFF they have enough to do. My dog too has a life jacket and attends the drill. People laugh at her jacket but she couldn't swim much further than I could. :) There is a lot of paperwork to get a dog on board a ship and you must check with every island yourself to check on the rules about taking your dog off the ship. Some island just require shot records be up to date and the paperwork to proove it, others will not let her off the ship at all. Really the only problem that I have is that everyone wants to pet her and most of us know that that is a big no no, but if she is not working at the time I do allow her a little "worship" time. She really loves the attention but not with her working vest on! She will turn her head and totally ignor others around her. She is a darling and my lifeline and I love her to death. Just incase you couldn't tell.:eek: She has been on 3 RCCL, 1 Carnival, and 1 NCL cruise. I always come into the dining room early and she just slides under the table. Really people wouldn't even know she was there if I didn't say something. I always tell people right away that she is there thought for a number of reasons. First so they don't accidently kick her and also if they don't want to eat with her they can be moved. So far no one has asked to be moved but are more likely to be interested in why she is there and what she does. Makes for an easy first nights dinner conversation.

At the number of comments. We fostered puppies for the dog guide program .. basically you get the dog as a pup, take them into your home, house train them etc. and basically treat them as a 'regular' pet in the family. There are a few stipulations, such as not on beds, couch, no 'people' food etc. And the main thing is you take them everywhere with you! Most people love seeing the little pups in their vests, but you would be surprised at the ignorance and comments from some people!

Leigh-Anne

At the number of comments. We fostered puppies for the dog guide program .. basically you get the dog as a pup, take them into your home, house train them etc. and basically treat them as a 'regular' pet in the family. There are a few stipulations, such as not on beds, couch, no 'people' food etc. And the main thing is you take them everywhere with you! Most people love seeing the little pups in their vests, but you would be surprised at the ignorance and comments from some people!

Leigh-Anne[/quote

Oh Leigh-Anne do I ever agree with you!!! I have had people even tell me that they wish they were handicapped so they could ride a handicapped scooter and bring their dog on a cruise. They sad thing is they were serious! I also had one nasty man that said there's that da** dog again every time he saw us. It's amazing just hou stupid and nasty some people can be. Also I thank people like you every day for being so unselfish.

He's the same guy that complains that the night follows day, and someone, somewhere peed in his fruit loops! I'd love it if you said, "You got a parakeet in your pocket or are ya suffering from terrets?"

I haven't chimmed in here but my "service" dog barks like crazy if I'm going to have a seizure. I know I have to sit safely. When I wake up he's licking my face. My doctor says, he may be helping me to come out of it sooner, but can't really say for sure. After doing much research I found that there is some sort of smell that he can notice that I must omit to detect the oncoming seizure. (At least that's what they think) I'm also told that this type of service dog can only be taught the "rules of the road" when it comes to public behaviour, and can't be taught to detect seizures. In this case a dog either has it or he doesn't.

So, my little guy is very keen and follows me all day as if I'm his job. However, his brother doesn't have a clue! LOL I could flop around like a fish, and he'd grab a beer. LOL (I have two shelties)

I don't need to take my dog while I have my husband. He looks after me, and although he can't detect, I have a pretty good idea when I'm not feeling well, and generally get an aura, and can sit before I fall. My doggie gives me much piece of mind when I'm home alone. He is a blessing!

Hearing that guys comment makes me hope he never needs a cane, a wheelchair, or anything else that could cause someone to say, "Look, there's that guy in the chair!"

Oh, and did you know that you can't even be asked by the cruise ship (or anyone) what your handicap is? You are only required to show that your dog has had training and that he provides you with a service to have him with you? I don't have it in front of me but it's the national website for people with dissabilities that has this information. I love my guys, miss them when I'm gone, but they would be lost on a cruise and I think scared because they are not trained for those circumstances. I'm just floored by folks who can be so cold, when the animal is not hurting anyone and actually helping someone in need.

Archived