Anyone take a service Dog on board ship

lilkrz

I was wondering how Dog friendly the ship is traveling on board ship with a service Dog. Concern is how do they accomodate a Dogs needs for bathroom facilaties. Also, can you leave the ship when in Port with a canine.

I don't have any personal experience, but on my 9/17 sailing on FOS there was a gentleman with a service dog. I saw them in many places throughout the ship. As far as I know there aren't any areas where they are not allowed. I'm not sure how they accomodated his bathroom needs or if he was able to go into ports. I would suggest contacting Royal Caribbean directly. Sorry I can't be of more assistance :)

-Katie

I helped someone with this on my last cruise. You have to contact special services, they will give you a list of all the needed information, which has to be faxed ahead of time, then you will have to carry all the paperwork with you to present upon checkin. They will take the paperwork and fax it to the ports. You can take the dog to port with you but only once the local authorities have cleared you. Grand Caymen was the only port it seemed to take longer.

They provide a spot on the ship that the animal goes potty. They will give you an option of the filler you want and tell you where this location is upon boarding.

Since the animal is a service animal, they cannot deny it access to anywhere on the ship. They are very helpful in the arrangements and welcoming them aboard too. The one with our group was even given a tin pan to eat from, on the floor, in the dining room, since they gave him scraps from their meals. Many complained about the dog being in the dining room but since he is a service dog, he has to be there with his companion.

I may still have the fax number here somewhere for special services but when the reservation is made, just advise there will be a service dog traveling and they can provide all the needed information.

This exact same thread is over on the Carnival forums.. wonder if they are just checking for which has a policy in place, which all cruiselines do, or if they are just thinking dogs on board will be a hot topic or if they really just want to know.

I dont care either way, they asked a useful question, gave them an answer, and hopefully someone got something from the information that might help them.

It would be a joy and pleasure to have a service dog at our table for dinner. :D

There were two service dogs on our Voyager trip to Canada in '04 - a Lab and a Shephard. They were at the table next to us at dinner and behaved much better than many of the children in the dining room! Since we only went to Canada, I'm sure there was no problem taking them ashore since I've traveled there with my cats to shows with only a rabies and health certificate.

The services dogs could eat under my table any time....

I am sure they are much better behaved than many of the children on board.

And I can't believe that someone hasn't talked about the "poop deck" yet....

I can't believe anyone would even complain about a service dog in the dining room. The things we take for granted, might be exactly what that dog is providing for someone with a disability.

I personally think service dogs are some of the most interesting creatures alive and it would not bother me in the least bit to have one near me.

I would definitely recommend asking this question on the Disabled Cruisers board. I know there are certain ports (Hawaii) where it is hard if not impossible to be able to take the service dog off the ship so it definitely requires advance planning and research.

I can't believe anyone would even complain about a service dog in the dining room. The things we take for granted, might be exactly what that dog is providing for someone with a disability.

A person with an animal allergy might not want to sit near the dog in the dining room.

What most people do not realize is that service dogs must be bathed every day, in order to prevent folks with allergies from being bothered by them, also since they are taken into food service locations, they must be kept clean.

The complaints we heard were not due to allergies, they were complaints that it was not clean to have a dog in an area where food was being served. If they are due to allergies, they can explain and asked to be moved. I would if someone's perfume or cologne really bothered me. Cigar and pipe smoke give me massive headaches, I just move away from them.

The complaints we heard were not due to allergies, they were complaints that it was not clean to have a dog in an area where food was being served.
They have obviously never been to France or Italy where it is common practice to take your dog into the restaurant with you! It is a member of the family after all....:)

The complaints we heard were not due to allergies, they were complaints that it was not clean to have a dog in an area where food was being served. quote]

:eek: what about those that never bother to wash their hands!!!!!

I owned a silkscreening and embroidery business for years. Many clients were "high end" restaurant owners. On the outside, in all appearances, the waiters and ambience were exquisite. Going through the kitchens to deliver aprons and uniforms to the management was disgustingly gross. I witnessed a steak fall to the floor, picked up by the chef, and put back on the grille....Grease on the surfaces and floor, and rodents.

They would get a citation from the department of health, clean up their act for a short while, and then go back to the same filthy habits. I do not enjoy eating in restaurants for this reason. The board of health cannot be there continuously. I would rather have a dog at my feet, as is common in Europe at cafes, than to nitpick and fuss but not know where the hands of my chef have been. Go ahead and flame me, but Good grief....get a grip.

I have worked in those type of places and my hubby is a waiter. I have walked in places and observed someone handle money then handle food, without washing their hands, money is very dirty. I have walked right back out.

I was wondering how Dog friendly the ship is traveling on board ship with a service Dog. Concern is how do they accomodate a Dogs needs for bathroom facilaties. Also, can you leave the ship when in Port with a canine.

The ships are quite dog-friendly for service dogs. The recent trans-Atlantic on Brilliance of the Seas had 3 service dogs.....the "poop" deck was a small hidden-away corner on the promenade. The dogs were wonderful and people enjoyed having them around. I suspect the dogs enjoyed it too.

Fran in Toronto

There was a beautiful golden on the Mainer, Sept. 17th. He was extremely well behaved and we alway saw them in the Windjammer and at the shows.

They had a box on one of the out decks for his "potty". There were many people petting him and making over him and his owner said it was ok and his training had already been shot this week. It was very welcome as I missed my 3 at home. Please ask the owner about petting....as they are working dogs. It's very hard to resist. Have a great time.

Hi Fran,

We were on the same cruise as you.

You might remember me, i was always playing table tennis (ping pong)

and i mean always.

carol

The ships are quite dog-friendly for service dogs. The recent trans-Atlantic on Brilliance of the Seas had 3 service dogs.....the "poop" deck was a small hidden-away corner on the promenade. The dogs were wonderful and people enjoyed having them around. I suspect the dogs enjoyed it too.

Fran in Toronto

Archived