Holland vs Celebrity

NickFank

There is no way to reasonably respond to this post. Service, food, intinerary and ship class are subjective. NickFrank, if you want a better response, can you consider asking a better question. What is your cruising objective? Where do you want to cruise, when, for what duration? Do you have any cruises under your belt? What kind of vacation do you like?

Please tell.

I agree with Hammybee. Been on both and would sail on either without a problem. We prefer HAL but that's most probably because we started with HAL and most of our cruising has been on HAL. Nothing against Celebrity, we've equally loved our cruising with them. Really, at least for us, it's a matter of itinerary and cost and so far HAL has been our best choice for both.

There is no way to reasonably respond to this post. Service, food, intinerary and ship class are subjective. NickFrank, if you want a better response, can you consider asking a better question. What is your cruising objective? Where do you want to cruise, when, for what duration? Do you have any cruises under your belt? What kind of vacation do you like?

Please tell.

I don't speak english very well...I'm italian!:D I have travelled this year with Celebrity and this cruise was absoluted fantastic!For food,service,ship and itinerary.I'd like found a ship (as Millennium) where i can't found overrowding and row...for example.

OK.

I sail with both X and HAL as well as others. The experience between X and HAL can be similar but the difference is in the details. If intineraries and price were compariable, I would choose HAL. My reasons are that the cabin size will probably be bigger, the service more genuine, the ship more attractive and the many traditions, unique to HAL. Food is so subjective that it is not fair to compare. I prefer HAL's food. The next guy may prefer X.

Either way, I think you will have a lovely experience. Let the intinerary and price drive your decision. If it's not HAL this time, maybe next time.

What are the difference between Celebrity and Holland?Where I can find the best service,food,itinerary and ship?What is the best ship class?Millennium or Vista?Thanks for your answer.

I see you have been on the Costa Victoria. I love that ship.

We have sailed both Celebrity and Holland America (HAL). In my opinion, Millenium class ships of Celebrity and much nicer that Vista class ships of HAL. I also liked the food in the Dining Room better on Celebrity. I agree that cabins on HAL are slightly larger. I thought service on both was great. We are currently booked on HAL Westerdam for Western Med cruise in July 2007, so we obviously also like HAL. Price on HAL was way better than Celebrity and I liked the Itineray better - more of Italia.

We had been on 9 HAL cruises (Alaska, Caribbean, Baltic, New England) before 2 cruises on Celebrity in December, 2005 (New Year's Eve) and 9 weeks later in March, both on the Constellation. (We had also been on 6 other cruises, both ocean and riverboat, during the same 9 year period.) There is no favorable comparison: HAL wins!:)

Speaking only for us, we prefer Celebrity for food and service. And if you compare the Millennium to the Oosterdam, for instance, personally I like the Millennium better in layout and design.

In the cabin category we sail (Deluxe Verandah), we found the cabins a bit larger and with more drawer/closet space on the Millennium than on the Oosterdam.

But as everyone said, it's all very subjective. HAL is an excellent line and we have 2 cruises booked with them. If you liked Celebrity, I believe you will also like HAL.

Thanks you for your answer.I'd booked on HAL Westerdam for Western Med cruise in August 2007...but I'm undecided with Galaxy in August 2007 because the itineary of Galaxy is better than Westerdam.

We are booked on Westerdam for same cruise in July 2007. I was on the Galaxy when it was brand new in 1997. We loved the ship but the cabins are very small compared to HAL. The balconies were added a few years ago. I believe the standard cabins are only 160 square feet compared to over 200 for HAL.

My wife is worried about temperature in July. I assume that you live in Italy - how bad will it be? Also, I saw some fantastic prices for land tours to Italy in January. I realize that it is Winter, but how bad would it be for sightseeing? This would be a week in Rome with side trips to Pompei, Florence and Sorrento/Capri. Would we miss a lot of the beauty since the vegetation would be missing?

We had been on 9 HAL cruises (Alaska, Caribbean, Baltic, New England) before 2 cruises on Celebrity in December, 2005 (New Year's Eve) and 9 weeks later in March, both on the Constellation. (We had also been on 6 other cruises, both ocean and riverboat, during the same 9 year period.) There is no favorable comparison: HAL wins!:)

Could you be specific with your reasons as to WHY Holland America wins???

We are booked on Westerdam for same cruise in July 2007. I was on the Galaxy when it was brand new in 1997. We loved the ship but the cabins are very small compared to HAL. The balconies were added a few years ago. I believe the standard cabins are only 160 square feet compared to over 200 for HAL.

My wife is worried about temperature in July. I assume that you live in Italy - how bad will it be? Also, I saw some fantastic prices for land tours to Italy in January. I realize that it is Winter, but how bad would it be for sightseeing? This would be a week in Rome with side trips to Pompei, Florence and Sorrento/Capri. Would we miss a lot of the beauty since the vegetation would be missing?

I don't understand your question.My english is very poor!..In July the temperature is very hot in all Italy especially in North of Italy.....The best month for visits Italy are May,June and September for me...January in a good month for visits Italy..The price in less expensive than summer seasons..Sorrento/Capri during all year has a better temperature beacuse in winter aren't cold and in summer aren't hot...

January is a great time to visit Italy and so much more reasonable. Do your homework to make certain that the things you want to see will be open. Last time I was there in January, the temps were like a warm NJ winter 45-50 and sort of cloudy with some rain. But there were no lines or rush to to anything.

I don't understand your question.My english is very poor!..In July the temperature is very hot in all Italy especially in North of Italy.....The best month for visits Italy are May,June and September for me...January in a good month for visits Italy..The price in less expensive than summer seasons..Sorrento/Capri during all year has a better temperature beacuse in winter aren't cold and in summer aren't hot...

Thanks. Your English is fine. Much better than my Italian. I will learn Italian before I come to Italy. You are booked on Westerdam for August 2007. How hot would it be in the ports we will visit? It is cooler becasue we are near the Meditteranean?

Thanks. Your English is fine. Much better than my Italian. I will learn Italian before I come to Italy. You are booked on Westerdam for August 2007. How hot would it be in the ports we will visit? It is cooler becasue we are near the Meditteranean?
Napoli,Palermo,Florence,Rome...are ports will you visit???Napoli and Palermo are two bigs city where it is very hot but there is a lot of wind and so the temperature is tolerable.Florence and Rome is very hot...!

Archived