Carry-On Airline Question

twinkletoes4445

I hope someone can help me with this.

I've read the TSA website, and I have all my liquids in 3 oz. bottles, and I have them in a quart zipper bag. I've looked over and over on this site, but I can't seem to find the answer to what I am looking for.

I've gotten my liquid makeup, eyeliner, and mascara in the quart bag, but what about the dry makeup (eye shadow, etc). Will I be able to carry this and also Ibuprophen, Tums, & Pepto (tabs)? I know I could just check these things, but we're only going to be gone for two days, and I only and taking two changes of clothes. I'd rather not check anything if I can avoid it.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

I hope someone can help me with this.

I've read the TSA website, and I have all my liquids in 3 oz. bottles, and I have them in a quart zipper bag. I've looked over and over on this site, but I can't seem to find the answer to what I am looking for.

I've gotten my liquid makeup, eyeliner, and mascara in the quart bag, but what about the dry makeup (eye shadow, etc). Will I be able to carry this and also Ibuprophen, Tums, & Pepto (tabs)? I know I could just check these things, but we're only going to be gone for two days, and I only and taking two changes of clothes. I'd rather not check anything if I can avoid it.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

Should be no problem carrying dry things. I had tums, baby powder , medicated powder etc.

Should be no problem carrying dry things. I had tums, baby powder , medicated powder etc.

Thank you so much. We're leaving early in the morning and I should have asked this earlier in the day. We're going back to Florida...and I'll tell you, it isn't easy going to FLL and knowing we're not going to be on a ship!!! Oh well...Feb. will be here before we know it. :)

Thanks again!! :)

Thank you so much. We're leaving early in the morning and I should have asked this earlier in the day. We're going back to Florida...and I'll tell you, it isn't easy going to FLL and knowing we're not going to be on a ship!!! Oh well...Feb. will be here before we know it. :)

Thanks again!! :)

Welcome. :)

Thank you so much for the info (we're back). It was interesting how they handled the quart baggie of liquids. When we left, they told me the had to do a test on each and every item in the baggie. I had that thing packed tightly, and they took everything out and wiped it with the little white cloth then put it in the machine. I probably had 12-15 items in this baggie. The gal who did this said that they were told to do it for every passenger. We have a dinky airport, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but I wondered what this would be like on our return flight from FLL.

Well, on the return flight from FLL, they just ran it through the scanner and that was that. They didn't even really look at it, although I had a water globe in a bag that caught their eye. I'd completely forgotten about that thing. To me it seems odd that in one location they would say they have to take each piece out of the baggies, and in another, they barely look at it.

I did have some non-liguid items in a gallon bag and the gal at the counter said that wouldn't work. She said I needed those in quart bags. When I went through the check-in process, they said the gallon bags were fine.

It is confusing and I think they need to get everyone on the same page. If they don't know what's going on, how do they expect the general public to get it? And I personally feel if someone wants to blow up a plane, this "quart baggie" for the liquids isn't going to stop them. I could have had who knows what in the bottles and they wouldn't have known the difference...unless there's something they're doing that I not seeing, or understanding.

Again, thanks for the info. We did see one ship in port as we flew out today and I really wished I was going to be on it.

Yeah that is weird about the different treatment at different airports.

Coming back from Seattle was more difficult then coming from Phoenix.

Phoenix was a piece of cake.

Seattle wasn't that bad really. They did question the Ensure for my mom, but when he asked his supervisor, the supervisor aked me if thats all my mom could eat,I said yes and he let me take 2 bottle through.

I know what they are trying to do...but they sure go willy-nilly about it. And I don't really feel safer knowing that everyone has their liquids in baggies! You'd think since it would be the same at all airports...but it's not.

It's nice that you were able to get your mom's food on board without any problems. My mom travels with so much medicine, that I dread the day when I fly with her again. Many are liquids, so that should be interesting.

The best part about our trip was Midwest Airlines. I love that airline. I'm almost to the point that if they don't go to a certain city, I won't either. :)

You are so right about them all being on the same page. Just returned yesterday from a 15 day land vacation in Mexico and each airport we passed through had different regs. In Columbus Ohio, no bags were looked in, we had a ton of meds in the original containers(my DH is disabled, insulin dependent, needles etc), we were checked again at the gate for any liquids etc. In Charlotte, nothing was checked at the gate. Coming back in Mexico, nothing checked, Charlotte, again, nothing checked except lighters. People were boarding with bottles of water, soda etc. There were three crew members getting a hop, and they had bottles of water. Until they are all on the same page at all airports, security will still be a farce...........jean:cool:

Jean: You may have been away when the rules changed and you aren't aware of the new rule that permits bottles of soda and water, cups of coffee etc to be brought aboard. We are now allowed to buy those beverages in the airports from vendors in the airport located AFTER YOU HAVE PASSED THROUGH SECURITY.

The flight attendants with their water bottles did not break any rules providing they were purchased as described.

See what happens? You leave for two weeks and who knows what changes are made!!!

Thank you so much for the info (we're back). It was interesting how they handled the quart baggie of liquids. When we left, they told me the had to do a test on each and every item in the baggie. I had that thing packed tightly, and they took everything out and wiped it with the little white cloth then put it in the machine. I probably had 12-15 items in this baggie. The gal who did this said that they were told to do it for every passenger. We have a dinky airport, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but I wondered what this would be like on our return flight from FLL.

Well, on the return flight from FLL, they just ran it through the scanner and that was that. They didn't even really look at it, although I had a water globe in a bag that caught their eye. I'd completely forgotten about that thing. To me it seems odd that in one location they would say they have to take each piece out of the baggies, and in another, they barely look at it.

I did have some non-liguid items in a gallon bag and the gal at the counter said that wouldn't work. She said I needed those in quart bags. When I went through the check-in process, they said the gallon bags were fine.

It is confusing and I think they need to get everyone on the same page. If they don't know what's going on, how do they expect the general public to get it? And I personally feel if someone wants to blow up a plane, this "quart baggie" for the liquids isn't going to stop them. I could have had who knows what in the bottles and they wouldn't have known the difference...unless there's something they're doing that I not seeing, or understanding..

Twinkletoes...Can I make a suggestion...You might try going on the TSA WEB site (where it says contact us) & do a copy & Paste of this post to the attention of the Manager..You'll have to give the name your departure Airport..Perhaps, if enough people complain to the higher ups about TSA's inconsistency, they might (don't hold your breath..) get tired of the complaints & try to get some consistency in these rules...

It's worth a try & it might not work..Dateline had a show last night about TSA's list of people who are on the "Watch List"...They claim they don't have some on it because it could give away their airport security process to terrorists & they also have people who have been dead for months on this list..It's incredible!

Anyway I had a good laugh over the Gallon vs the Quart Zip-Locks..;)

Happy cruising everyone..Betty:)

Good idea, Betty. I'll do that. I just dropped off our son for a trip to Seattle. He had a bigger bottle of hair stuff (maybe 6 oz), but it only had about three ounces in it. They told him that that was fine, but there was an article in our local paper tonight that said it had to be a 3 oz. bottle, nothing bigger. So it is confusing.

They do need to get their act together. As the baggie size thing illustrated, they don't have a clue.

Archived