Passenger Talent Shows

DevinScott

Does anyone know anything about the passenger talent shows on the NCL ships? I understand that you have the potential of winning a free cruise. I am going on the Spirit to Alaska and was wondering if they just have you choose something from a Karaoke list or if you need to bring your own music. Any information would be appreciated.

Does anyone know anything about the passenger talent shows on the NCL ships? I understand that you have the potential of winning a free cruise. I am going on the Spirit to Alaska and was wondering if they just have you choose something from a Karaoke list or if you need to bring your own music. Any information would be appreciated.

Some of the passengers had the house band (all together or just guitarist or pianist) accompany them for their songs.

Most all ships that have a talent show do not allow Karokoke singers. You can bring your own CD/tape backup if you want to sing to it but that's not the same as a Karokoke CD. Most do use the ships band to back them up or you can bring your instrument if you play something. It helps if you bring your own music for them to read but most musicians on a ship can handle it if you can hum it. I've not heard of winning a cruise as they tend to call everybody a winner since it's more a show than a contest. You will get a medal, a plastic trophey, or a bottle of wine but a free cruise for everyone sounds a bit much. I was on the RCL Mariner and they didn't have a talent show but an actual karokoke contest in the lounge which had finals but I don't recall the winner getting a free cruise on that either.

They do give away a free cruise!Not sure how it works but I think they said they send tapes into NCL from all ships where they pick 1 winner and that winner gets to perform with the cruise staff onboard.They say if you are good you can get a contract to perform on NCL ships.

Good luck!

Travelling fools has it described. I haven't heard of any announcement of a winner, but I'm guessing the contest was a way of spicing up the on board talent shows, and at the same time, maybe they find an act or two.

On our 1st of two Dawn cruises, the show was unbelievably outstanding. If there were 12 acts, 11 of them were extremely talented, and one was lets say a pretty good karaoke level singer. There were a couple of comedians, a sax player who won, maybe two piano players, and a wide range of singers and singing styles, including duet. The judges must have had a difficult job, as at least half of them could have won.

Last April we were expecting a repeat, as I had built up the expectations of our family members, but were extremely disappointed. A "low level" karaoke singer, who won, and what they called a "motivational speaker". My VCR battery was running low, so I waited for the beginning of her act to see if I wanted to stay or go get my backup battery. After 30 sec. I knew I could miss it. She came out with notes, and seemingly was trying to be a little funny, in a monotone voice, that I'm told did not get any better in the 4 plus minutes she was emabarrassing herself on stage. I actually caught the end of her act, having time to go up 4 levels, down to my cabin, and all the way back.

I was also disappointed they did not have a crew members talent show this time, as that show was also an excellent variety show in June/2002. I was told they only do that show about once a month, and its' purpose is to allow the performers to demonstrate a little culture from their home country. Don't miss it if it comes along.

Archived