Shoretrips

giraffeman

Has anyone used shoretrips.com?

My TA is trying to get me to use them when in port, but I just don't know if its worth using them or just going on my own.

I see a bunch of you don't book with the cruise line but use a private tour group.

Has anyone had problem getting back to the ship on time?

So far I'm looking at the Whale watching with Princess; $21 more then shoretrips but it gets back at 12:00 not 1:30, this should leave me time to do something else.(need to be back at the ship by 4 4:15 pm)

The question is What and with Whom?

Any suggestions? MY cruise is on 10/29 so I don't have much time.

I just took a quick look at the sight and from my experience, it still looks maybe a bit higher in price than if you book directly through the companies. Many of these companies live off of cruisers, therefore, they are well aware of getting passengers to cruise ships on time. I personally don't worry about that, but I may be more adventurous than some.

Try doing a search on this thread for whale watching and see what comes up. I've done so and here is a link to the search...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=3871306[/url]

Here's a site for a tour company that does whale watching...

http://www.castlecomfortdivelodge.com/whalewatch.html

Good luck in whatever you decide and enjoy your cruise!:D

We always book private excursions and have never had a problem!

Our last trip to Dominica, we just waited until we docked, there are plenty of private operators at the pier, we ended up just hiring a taxi for the day for $20pp, he took us all over the island, we went snorkeling at champagne reef, hiked in the rainforest and had an island tour, our driver was outstanding!

he made our day very special. We were back at the ship in plenty of time to do a little shopping.

Hate to take business away from Shore Trips, but that's exactly what we have done- look up the tour and then book direct. Works for me

How do you see the tour company on shore trips? I went on there, but didn't see the name of the company referenced.

Thanks!

Clv105,

Don't know how to check the company used in Shore trips (any one have an idea)

Thanks for the link for Whale watching, info sent, just waiting for a reply.

I also sent Emails out to both Renyo and Beno

lets see what everyone comes back with

Hey giraffeman - just got back from the Carnival Destiny 1 Oct sailing and used shoretrips twice for excursions and had absolutly no regrets.

On Dominica we did the Canopy tour and it was wonderful. In fact, we were the only three people in the entire area along with the two wonderful guides we had.

On Aruba - we did the 8 hour Land Rover off road tour and it was worth every bit of dust we ate. And your really off road.

I know I sound like a commercial for them........but would definitely use them again as they do offer a few things that the cruise ships dont offer to make the excursions a little more fun and interesting.

Hey giraffeman - just got back from the Carnival Destiny 1 Oct sailing and used shoretrips twice for excursions and had absolutly no regrets.

On Dominica we did the Canopy tour and it was wonderful. In fact, we were the only three people in the entire area along with the two wonderful guides we had.

On Aruba - we did the 8 hour Land Rover off road tour and it was worth every bit of dust we ate. And your really off road.

I know I sound like a commercial for them........but would definitely use them again as they do offer a few things that the cruise ships dont offer to make the excursions a little more fun and interesting.

Loftguys

Thanks I just booked 5 tours with Shore trips. Everything from Deep sea fishing in St Kits to a Snorkeling the Champagne Reef in Dominica.

In all my research I have yet to find any one say something bad about booking with them.:)

Plamtre2 Sorry I haven’t taken the tour yet (cruise is not till 10-27) but it is by boat. I'll update you when I get back.

Has anyone used shoretrips.com?

My TA is trying to get me to use them when in port, but I just don't know if its worth using them or just going on my own.

I see a bunch of you don't book with the cruise line but use a private tour group.

Has anyone had problem getting back to the ship on time?

So far I'm looking at the Whale watching with Princess; $21 more then shoretrips but it gets back at 12:00 not 1:30, this should leave me time to do something else.(need to be back at the ship by 4 4:15 pm)

The question is What and with Whom?

Any suggestions? MY cruise is on 10/29 so I don't have much time.

We have used them on a couple Islands with no problemos

Bob :cool:

Caribbean dreams - our group would love to snorkel Champagne Reef, I'm getting conflicting stories over whether or not you can access this reef from the beach or did you take a boat???

Yes you can get to the Champagne reef from the shore, our driver dropped us off at the end of the road where the beach starts, (its not really a beach, its really rocky with little pebbles so don't forget to bring water shoes) we walked a few hundred feet before we got in the water, swam straight out and theres the bubbles. The water is really warm and if feels like you are swimming in a spa.

i agree, when you arrive on the island their are lots of taxis just waiting to take you anywhere you want to go. If you want to do a land tour anyone of the taxi drivers are willing to assist. If you want to do something like diving or snorkeling I found it cheaper to book directly through the dive operator, the one we went through even picked us up for free so we did not have to pay a taxi!

The reason your ta is trying to get you to go with shoretrips is because they pay commission. I would go with a private tour operator if you feel comfortable with the amount of time you have. If time is a factor, I would go with the cruiseline to be sure you don't miss the ship.

We used shoretrips for a tour in St. Thomas a couple of weeks ago. They contacted the tour operator to arrange a different start time than ususal for us.

Keep in mind shoretrips is an agency that uses all local providers at all locations - they don't operate anything themselves.

Also, we asked our tour provider, VI Ecotours, if they would prefer to be booked directly or to have people use shoretrips. They said shoretrips is better, because the arrangements and emails done by them are terrific.

I also found the emails and info provided to me were terrific.

So there's a couple of points of view from a recent experience!

Archived