My review of summer Baltic cruise

hotmike98

I sent this review in last August, and just got an e-mail today that it finally posted. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?

Entry ID=20934.

If someone knows how to import it, I will try to follow instructions to do so.

I know that food reviews are rather controversial, but I tried to be as honest as I could.

We really had a marvelous trip. Would be happy to answer any questions.

Based on this review and also on Iamboatmans postings, I am now totally confused about choosing Voyager for my December honeymoon:(.

I loved the Diamond and have been trying to choose between Crystal Serenity and RSSC Voyager for several months now. As we live in FL and since there is wide open availability on both sailings I am not concerned about space.

Then I added Seabourn into the equation and have made my dilemna a conundrum.

Decisions, decisions....

I haven't been able to read your comments as yet but thought I would add mine anyway.

I was on the 19 June Voyager Baltics cruise and loved it. My only comparison is with the Navigator and while I can't fault either, my preference would be for the Voyager, simply because of its size.

The food was excellent, although I would have to say the sweets and pastries etc were far superior on the Navigator. Being a chocoholic, that afternoon on the Voyager definitely wasn't as good as the Navigator, not that there was anything to complain about. How I managed to find the space to fit any chocolate in, is still a complete mystery to me!

For a honeymoon, I would wonder about the age group on RSSC, as from my experience the majority would be in at least their 50's and above - but hey when you're on your honeymoon, who cares!!

For a honeymoon, I would wonder about the age group on RSSC, as from my experience the majority would be in at least their 50's and above - but hey when you're on your honeymoon, who cares!!

We are 50 and 59 so I think we would be just fine:D!

Interesting about the food. The food on Voyager on our June cruise was outstanding, including Compass Rose. We had breakfast in La Veranda in the mornings, again a buffet, and quite good, but our frends always went to CR, and they seemed to be very pleased. And the poolside grill had terrific spreads of very interesting and delicious dishes most days. I was really surprised at the quality of this, since I had been very underwhelmed by lunch buffets on Diamond two years ago.

I think what this means is that ships have ups and down, good cruises and bad cruises. Who knows what causes these variations, but it would certainly be nice if they could keep the product consistent.

The thing about the wine is just plain weird. Did they not offer some other sweet wine, or suggest perhaps a chardonnay or something? Was this just the "pouring wines", or are we talking about wines for purchase?

My husband and I are going on the Baltic trip June 2007 on the Voyager. Thanks HotMike98 for pointing me out to a page with reviews from summer 2006.

Has anyone tried to do the ice bar in Stockholm without doing it through Regent?

Can someone please give me a web site to use for booking private tours in St Petersburg, and pros and cons?

Thanks

Suzie

Wendy: Chardonnay is not a sweet wine. They did offer a muscadet, both not to our friends' taste. I thought that given Copenhagen's proximity to Germany the absence of Reisling was odd, especially when they asked every day, and were promised they would get it at the next port.

Mike, I can understand not wanting Muscadet. I consider most chardonnays fairly sweet, but that's a matter of taste and habituation--30 years ago my tastebuds thought Rhines and Mosels were very dry! It is quite surprising that they had no decent German whites that were to your friend's taste, but I guess they aren't very popular in the US of A these days.

Archived