Stores In Papeete

WCROSBY

We Will Be Staying Two Nights After Our Cruise At The Mandarin Hotel. Are There Stores Where I Can Get Beer And Some Snacks Close By. Also A Place To Eat Where Its Not To Expensive.

You're pretty much surrounded by stores, so you shouldn't have much of a problem stocking up on Hinanos. You'll be within walking distance of the roulottes, which will make for a reasonably priced dinner.

Many snack bars, small shops around the Mandarin. There is also a Champion supermarket a few blocks from there. Sorry, I do not know the street...ask at hotel reception.

The roulettes open up after 6pm each evening right where the ships dock. They sell BBQ meats, Chinese food, crepes etc. Full meals for under $10. We went one night pre cruise and met other cc members there.

For breakfast or lunch Le Marche- the market is a good place to get something.

This is also the place that sells the flower arrangements cruisers buy to take on board. J.

You buy the flowers at Le Marche (the market). The travel books state it is open on Sunday, but I went on Saturday and again on Monday, so I can't speak first hand. Get there early for the best selection. I wanted a small one because space in the cabin is tight (we had a balcony cabin on deck 7). They were very picked over by 10:30 or so. You can also buy a bouquet of flowers for about $5. My sister did this and they put them in plastic container for her; later, her cabin steward found a vase for them. Nice touch!

You buy the flowers at Le Marche (the market). The travel books state it is open on Sunday, but I went on Saturday and again on Monday, so I can't speak first hand. Get there early for the best selection. I wanted a small one because space in the cabin is tight (we had a balcony cabin on deck 7). They were very picked over by 10:30 or so. You can also buy a bouquet of flowers for about $5. My sister did this and they put them in plastic container for her; later, her cabin steward found a vase for them. Nice touch!

We will be there on a Sunday arriving at 8am on Princess and have read the Marche is only open from 4am till 8am on Sundays??

Anyone know for sure??:confused:

All I can find are references to shopping Sunday mornings in my literature. If you are on the TP, they overnight in Papeete and you could also visit on Monday morning. I seem to recall that we boarded Sunday afternoon and then walked to the market to pick up our flowers. If Le Marche isn't open for one reason or another, it is just a block away from a large mall. I can't verify those hours either, but It seemed to me it was 12 - 5. It was a little tricky when we were there because many of the shops close down for a Christmas/New Year's vacation break that ran from between two to four weeks and some of the shops were still closed for that (we were there on Jan 7).

Sorry i can't help more!

Charlie

All I can find are references to shopping Sunday mornings in my literature. If you are on the TP, they overnight in Papeete and you could also visit on Monday morning. I seem to recall that we boarded Sunday afternoon and then walked to the market to pick up our flowers. If Le Marche isn't open for one reason or another, it is just a block away from a large mall. I can't verify those hours either, but It seemed to me it was 12 - 5. It was a little tricky when we were there because many of the shops close down for a Christmas/New Year's vacation break that ran from between two to four weeks and some of the shops were still closed for that (we were there on Jan 7).

Sorry i can't help more!

Charlie

We are not on the TP, we will be on the Sun Princess and only there the Sunday from 8am to 5pm and it sure looks like we will be missing all the shopping in Papette, I am hoping to buy myself a black pearl for me and then some cheaper ones on the chords for the kids.

Sorry - my bad. I just assume everyone is on the TP. You might be lucky and the stores will be open. We were there three years ago and tourism was just becoming big business. They may have altered their hours to reflect the cruise ships now. I mean they do more business at Le Marche when the ships are in town than when they aren't.

You might go to www.tahiti-tourisme.com and see if they have any more updated info there. You can also e mail them at info@tahiti-tourisme.com.

Charlie

Archived