What happens if I book my mother in two rooms?

mrc1961

I realize this is an odd question, but....

I have an upcoming cruise scheduled for November. Mom is in one room (travelling solo), DH and I are in another. We are paying the same two person rate for Mom's room (minus a slight reduction for port fees). There is now a Resident rate for Mom's state available for our cruise. The resident rate saves a whopping $360 per cabin.

Problem is only Mom is eligible for the resident rate. We only get the savings for the cabin that Mom is in.

What would happen if we put "Mom and I" in one room and "Mom and DH" in the other room? Could she check into two rooms? It would save us money overall.

Thanks in advance.

Just a hypothetical... Promise I'm not going to try this but

What if I was a single traveller and just REALLY wanted two cabins?

Maybe I want a port side and a starboard side room ...

Maybe I want an aft and a midship one...

Would RCL let me book two rooms for myself -- paying full price for both of course?

Thanks,

Jennifer

You can book the rooms with whoever you want in them. Once onboard, just switch! No big deal! At least you'll get a discount for 1 room! Think about it--you were willing to pay the price before--so this will just be a bonus!

When you got to the pier and checked in, whichever room that your mom did not check in for, they would charge you the amount you saved by having the residency rate since nobody in the room lived in that state. The people staying in the room have to provide proof of residency at the pier.

Also, while it may seem that you aren't saving anything as it stands now for your mom. By traveling as a solo traveler, she is saving the port fees and taxes for the 2nd person. If you booked her in both rooms, you would have to pay double port fees and taxes for her (assuming they allowed it) in addition to the double cruise fare.

Thanks for all your advice. I just got curious after my original post about whether one person could book more than one room.

On cheating the system - I see recommendations on this board all of the time. People are routinely advised (by their friends, TA's, other posters) to book sr. dad in room with hubby and sr. mom in room with wife to be able to get a sr. rate for both rooms. Once on board, they switch rooms. It seems RCL even supports this by allowing them to go down to purser's desk and switch keys once they are onboard. Is this cheating the system or is it just arranging to get the best deal for which you are eligible?

We were advised by the RCCL agent on the phone to split up and put the seniors in each room on our last cruise to get the discount and then change at the pier. It was their suggestion and obviously it's done all the time.

OOOOHHHHH I see, you will have her pay her fare in two rooms so you get a discount....... I get it....

Sure go ahead and have you MIL pay two fares so you can save money. I am sure she will love you for it.

MissKisse,

Sorry if I've in some way offended you. I was just curious about whether one person could be booked in multiple rooms. I can do it in hotel - I can't do it on airplanes. I wasn't sure about cruise ships.

I mentioned in the first post, I'm paying for both rooms on this cruise. Mom won't be out a dime.

Posters have had some good suggestions. I can offer that she bring a friend and do the "switch thing" that even RCI seems to recommend. The savings will cover the friend's tips, port fees, and even a few incidentals. (Her room will cost me the same whether she's single or double.) The friend will only have to pay for shore excursions.

I'm not trying to cheat ... just get the best deal that's available.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Jennifer

How do you find out about a residentcy rate?

Go to RCCL's website and act like you are booking your cruise. At the bottom of the first page make sure to select your state. If there is a residency rate, when you get to the 2nd page where you select your stateroom you will see two prices for a room, one with the residency discount, and one without.

On cheating the system - I see recommendations on this board all of the time. People are routinely advised (by their friends, TA's, other posters) to book sr. dad in room with hubby and sr. mom in room with wife to be able to get a sr. rate for both rooms. Once on board, they switch rooms.

To all the people who consider this cheating:

What about all the suggestions on these boards about how to sneak liquor onboard? This isn't any more cheating than that.

I personally do not drink, so it's a non-issue for me, but it's recommended so often and by so many that it seems obvious that people generally are okay with "cheating" as long as it benefits them personally. I find this a little disingenuous.

Why don't you have your Mom invite a senior friend to go with her, then you could all save money!! PS-My Mom is a senior and loves to cruise!;)

When I made reservations for our upcoming cruise, my mom in one room, DS and I in another, we were accidently given the senior rate. When I called to inquire I was told it was mistake. They then suggested that my mom invite a friend so we could all get the senior rate LOL. I wonder who she might have brought with her:p

Also when we booked the TA looked at whether it was better to do mom as a single or put one of us in with her. It was better to leave her as a single. Since the single rate is just about the same as the rate for two people in the room, anything saved by putting one of us in with her would have been lost with the high single rate for the non senior left as a single.

Wendy

Hi Jennifer, as a relative newbie here let me just say hi! I get your question and although I don't have an answer I'd be curious as well. When we went on Princess cruise our TA at the time gave us a FL resident rate discount. Not sure how she was able to do that but we were never asked about it. Did your TA say your plan might work? What's the worst that could happen but RCI would go ahead and charge the original price.

As far as the "unsolicited" snotty comments here, I just picture some cyber bully who in reality is pathetic! The unbridled power of the keyboard! LOL

Can I bring my own liquor on board? LOL Kidding, just kidding!

I think the idea that you are trying to booki her into two seperate cabins is the issue....she is not in two cabins.

I appricate discounts, and I love a good deal. I even enjoy a good drink. But if the rules say something, why is it so hard to understand and abide by?

I don't smuggle booze on board with all the people that are cruising

Just because some people dont abide by the rules , does not mean we should all seek the "breaking the rule way"

I don't think this would work. Even if you could get her checked in twice on the ship, getting off would be another story. The ship would show 2 "Mary Smith's". Customs would be looking for both to come off the ship. When one of them doesn't disembark, the problems will start.

OOOOHHHHH I see, you will have her pay her fare in two rooms so you get a discount....... I get it....

Sure go ahead and have you MIL pay two fares so you can save money. I am sure she will love you for it.

Actually as mentioned in several posts...single cruisers do pay two fares...its called a single supplement...sometimes its slightly less than 2 full fares, but it is close enough to 2 . My FIL has to do it each time he cruises...( I keep trying to get him to take my DM b/c he's paying for 2 anyway:p ;) ...so in theory it wouldnt cost my mom anything;) ..so far no go..)

Archived