Diamond Princess v. Oosterdam

brightonguys

We're looking at February Mexican Riviera cruises and wondering about the differences between Diamond Princess and HAL's Oosterdam. We've never sailed with either line before, and we've never been to the Mexican Riviera. The iteneraries are similar, except that on HAL you get to spend all day in Cabo (v. 2:00 pm on Princess) and all night in PV (until 10:00 pm). The ships sound similar in a lot of respects, too. Any input on this choice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for your input -- sounds like you've been pretty satisfied with HAL generally then. The prices are about the same for these two cruises, too, so the differences really are the ships/lines and time in port.

We have sailed on the Diamond, and loved it! We are sailing the Oosterdam on the same itinerary in Nov. Different lines, different options. We loved the different restaurants on Diamond. Food was very good. We love Hal for the service and a bit more ambiance and less flash. try them both...you will be impressed.

I've been on the Diamond and am going on the O in December. Personally, the longer port time in Cabo is a HUGE sell for us with HAL. We are very excited to try it, but we also really like certain things about Princess. You can't beat the beds and service on HAL, but the Mini suites on Princess are neat as well. All a matter of preference. I've sailed Westerdam, same sort of ship as O, so feel free to ask you have any questions that are specific.

AZ -- I would love to try them both! And over time, hopefully we will. :) I would love to hear your thoughts after your Nov. trip, too.

Sheebah -- Thanks for posting those pics. Looks like fun trips all around. We are in Boston, and I've always been curious what the Montreal-Boston trip on Maasdam is like, too. How was that?

AZ -- I would love to try them both! And over time, hopefully we will. :) I would love to hear your thoughts after your Nov. trip, too.

Sheebah -- Thanks for posting those pics. Looks like fun trips all around. We are in Boston, and I've always been curious what the Montreal-Boston trip on Maasdam is like, too. How was that?

Brighton guys,

Here's a link to my rundown of our recent Boston/Montreal trip. Let me know if it doesnt work. Bottom line- it was our most relaxing vacation in a long time. The history and tranquil theme on this cruise was really different for us, but it worked out well, since we are both relatively workaholic people who really needed to separate ourselves from computers and phones for a while. This trip (due to many factors- cooler weather being one of them) is the perfect break when you are ready for a change from the more sun and fun type of a trip. I highly recommend it if you want a diversion because the port intensive nature of the trip makes it a GREAT value for the $ and gives you a taste of some fantastic areas. The St. Lawrence river is stunning...and worth the trip. We're from the West Coast, so seeing a totally different landscape was fun, and practicing a little french in Montreal and Quebec was neat. If you live in Boston, DO it, and stay in Montreal when you are done for a little extra time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=7671615#post7671615

Great review -- I think we'll try to book that one sometime soon. Unfortunately, we have to work sometime, too (can't find a way around that yet). :( Montreal is one of my favorite cities, and usually make it up there a couple times a year, but I've never been to Quebec or any of the other places on the itenerary. It sounds like we need to do whatever upgrading is necessary to get into the Neptune Lounge, too.

Thanks again for your input on both of these cruises. My partner is reluctant to pull the trigger on an MR cruise for whatever reasons, so that one's temporarily on hold . . . hopefully VERY temporarily. :) Have a great time on the Oosterdam -- I'll look forward to reading your review!

Great review -- I think we'll try to book that one sometime soon. Unfortunately, we have to work sometime, too (can't find a way around that yet). :( Montreal is one of my favorite cities, and usually make it up there a couple times a year, but I've never been to Quebec or any of the other places on the itenerary. It sounds like we need to do whatever upgrading is necessary to get into the Neptune Lounge, too.

Thanks again for your input on both of these cruises. My partner is reluctant to pull the trigger on an MR cruise for whatever reasons, so that one's temporarily on hold . . . hopefully VERY temporarily. :) Have a great time on the Oosterdam -- I'll look forward to reading your review!

My pleasure...depending on where you live, the Mexican Riviera cruise can be a disappointment. I am not sure if you've been to Mexico before, so forgive me if you already know this stuff, but one of the things that people don't expect about it is that it is not as pretty as the Caribbean in terms of that turquoise water and always-warm temperature. It is chilly on the Pacific (and ROUGH) going down and back, and I think that is a deterent. It is not a true tropical trip. But, if you live in Southern California, it is fantastic for convenience sake and price....

What area of the country are you from?

Go for the Oosterdam...............MUCH larger cabins on HAL.........much better food..............much better service.............plus, those glass elevators are so neat..................be sure to be IN one just as the sun sinks into the ocean. It's spectacular if you can catch the moment.

:)

We sailed on Caribbean Princess which is comparable to Diamond, and Zuiderdam which is a sister ship to oosterdam.

Rooms are larger on HAL, but it wasn't a problem on princess.. I loved how even insides have separate dressing area. Beddig no contest was the best on HAL. There was fresh fruit in the state room on HAL (but I believe you can order it on Princess too). Showers were larger on HAL.

Food. HAL and Princess had the best buffets overall than other lines, but I found Princess buffets to be more interesting... There was MUCH more seafood options (4 huge seafood buffets during the week and everyday nice selection, huge Alaskan crab legs , lobsters etc) There was even gefelte (sp?) one day. ;)

Princess had 4 or 5 pools in different areas, and in adult area pool (aft and sport pool) rules were greatly enforced, unfortunately on HAL kids were in adult pool at any time.:(

HAL had better quality production shows, but Princess beat them with number of live entertainment options.. usually there was live music of all sorts in 5-6 venues, some of them small and intimate like Wheelhouse bar, some of them with the stage like Explorers lounge.

Service.. Well we had many service issues on Zuiderdam, and seems that most of them were because of understaffing. On Princess service was great and prompt.

Princess has personal choice dining and HAL has assigned times and tables..

I liked both lines, but would prefer Princess, but would not hesitate to sail with HAL if itinerary and time suited me.

Tatka and Kayef: Thanks for your comparisons. I think you seem to echo a lot of what I've been reading, both online and in the guidebooks about the two lines generally.

Sheebah: We are in Boston, so the Caribbean is closer and easier for sure, but we've done it several times (and are going again on the Freedom of the Seas at Thanksgiving). I'm prepared for less beautiful water. I'm more interested in trying something new and I've always wanted to go to PV (and to Acapulco for that matter -- another cruise, I guess). :)

Archived