Last question...I think! Coats for Alaska?

like2cruise

I am from Iowa and our winters do get cold. I was not planning on bringing my lighter winter coat, but when I was watching the travel channel about Alaska I saw everyone was wearing winter coats. I am planning on layers, but did you take and use your winter coat? I know it is around 70's in Alaska right now, but not real sure how cool it feels on the water or in the evenngs.

I have been on some ships where the air conditioning itself almost warranted a winter coat :-)

Thanks for the help...it is much appreciated.

I've been to Alaska twice (May and July), and didn't bring a winter coat. But it depends on your definition of winter coat. I dressed in layers, and my outer layer was either a Land's End slicker or polar fleece jacket, depending on temp and moisture.

When it was really cold, the harsh wind and ocean spray kept me indoors more than the temperature.

Coats take up a lot of luggage space, so may want to consider outerwear that's lightweight but warm, also water resistant.

Roz

When we did Alaska in early July. We took wind breaker jackets only and that was rain more than cold. It was cool while we were there and quite wet, but I was never cold. They day we spent in Glacier Bay many many people were out there in fur trimmed parkas so bundled up and it was only about 60 degrees. My husband still laughs about it cause he was wearing shorts and short sleeves. They had a coffee bar set up too when you came in from outside. This was a coffee bar with Irish Whisky, Baileys, Kahula, etc. (Another money maker for HAL!!!) People were flocking to it like they might get hyperthermia if they didn't order one.

Too funny - Great cruise!!!

We were in Alaska 7/3-7/10. The highs were in the 60's usually. I had a fleece jacket & my husband had a Land's End squall jacket & we also had one rain jacket we took turns with & an umbrella. The coldest day was viewing the Hubbard Glacier from the deck. I could have used gloves that day, but of course you can go inside anytime. If you are doing any adventure shore excursions you may want to dress warmer. My husband was very impressed he could see his breath by the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, but we were always comfortable dressed as we were. http://community.webshots.com/album/162366929YEVWDYgives you an idea of how people were dressed for the weather. Have a great time! Shari

A polar fleece and windbreaker will do it. Of course I brought a ton of stuff and it was HOT and SUNNY for the first time in 6 weeks.

If you are going to be out on deck a lot make sure you have a hood or something covereing your head. The air is cold on the water coming off the iceburgs !

Wow, 1drifter.........We are taking the same cuise as you, but we're leaving in one week. I'm very impressed with your photos and how fast you got them on the photo album service. This makes me even more excited. One week seems like a long time as I'm waiting to go on my first curise and my first trip to Alaska.

Thanks again.

:)

Archived