Best way to get to Rum Point ?

dianfarmer

My husband and I would like to go to Rum Point when our cruise stops in Grand Caymen. I wanted to book the excursion that stops at Rum Point but they told me the tour started before we would dock. Then I thought we would just take a taxi but was told it was a 45 min drive and would cost around $35 each way. Any suggestions on how to get there cheaper

Try Cayman Activity Guide dot com. There's a BB there that will have lots of answers.

There used to be a ferry from one of the hotels across from SMB [Hyatt??] to Rum Point, but it stopped running after the hurricane a couple of years ago and may still be out of service. If you don't want to take a cab [which would be expensive!] you could rent a car. But driving is on the left and it is a long drive.

But Rum Point is beautiful! We went last year with Nativeway and just loved it.

My husband and I would like to go to Rum Point when our cruise stops in Grand Caymen. I wanted to book the excursion that stops at Rum Point but they told me the tour started before we would dock. Then I thought we would just take a taxi but was told it was a 45 min drive and would cost around $35 each way. Any suggestions on how to get there cheaper

I think a 45min taxi will be a lot more than $35 each way. If you can find one for $70 rt I would jump on it.

We went to Rum Point in August and rented cars from Andy's. They picked us up at the dock, we drove to Rum Point for a great day, and returned the cars to Andy's. It is a 35-45 minute drive but we all had a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

Renting a car is your best option. The only ferry that runs to rum point is owned by disney and its only for their customers.

I suggest finding another couple to split the costs with (roll call section of the boards) and making the trip, it is worth it!

Directions are easy, there arent many roads, and I think there were two turns involved, a few roundabouts, oh and you drive on the other side of the road :)

Easy to do though, dont be initimidated, it is worth it!

We went to Rum Point in August and rented cars from Andy's. They picked us up at the dock, we drove to Rum Point for a great day, and returned the cars to Andy's. It is a 35-45 minute drive but we all had a good time.

Could you give me an idea of how much it costs to rent a car?

The "cost per day" and the "total cost" can be a bit different. After your daily rate, you must add tax, a license fee, etc. etc..

We booked a car for the day and it was $65'ish out the door.

Make sure to get a total and not just the daily rate.

As stated by others, renting a car is the most practical way to visit Rum Point. Taxis would normally cost substantially more than $35 each way.

The Rum Point ferry is not in regular passenger service. Disney Cruise Lines offers a shore excursion which arrives at Rum Point via a chartered ferry. Disney does not own or operate the ferry.

There are island jeep tours which can visit Rum Point, and one of the watersports operators offers a Stingray City trip which includes a lunch stop at Rum Point.

I just rented a jeep from Avis, and the total cost is going to be $103. That's all inclusive... driving permit, taxes, and the insurance. The price difference between Avis and the other rental companies, I think, can be attributed to the type of insurance coverage offered. Most of the rental companies sold an insurance that had a $1,000 deductible. The one offered through Avis had a $0 deductible. We've driven on the left before in England, and it was uneventful on our part. However, there are lots of people on the road who don't do as well...

As a rule, when we rent cars we deny the extra insurance because our normal home policy will cover us. However, Cayman is not US, so you need the insurance.

Another couple is going with us, so splitting the cost will help a lot. Plus, we are not herded like cattle all day as we would be on a tour.

I just rented a jeep from Avis, and the total cost is going to be $103. That's all inclusive... driving permit, taxes, and the insurance. The price difference between Avis and the other rental companies, I think, can be attributed to the type of insurance coverage offered. Most of the rental companies sold an insurance that had a $1,000 deductible. The one offered through Avis had a $0 deductible. We've driven on the left before in England, and it was uneventful on our part. However, there are lots of people on the road who don't do as well...

As a rule, when we rent cars we deny the extra insurance because our normal home policy will cover us. However, Cayman is not US, so you need the insurance.

Another couple is going with us, so splitting the cost will help a lot. Plus, we are not herded like cattle all day as we would be on a tour.

What location did you rent from? Also, is there any reason to get a jeep over say a compact?

Also, is there any reason to get a jeep over say a compact?

Compact rental cars in Cayman may be substantially smaller than the smallest rental cars you might be accustomed to in the US. That's not much of an issue unless adults are riding in the backseat, which is rather cramped. Just keep feeding the hamster, and those little compacts will get you where you want to go.

Compact rental cars in Cayman may be substantially smaller than the smallest rental cars you might be accustomed to in the US. That's not much of an issue unless adults are riding in the backseat, which is rather cramped. Just keep feeding the hamster, and those little compacts will get you where you want to go.

Lets see, a savings of almost $50 compared to a jeep. Sorry to the ladies that will be with us. We are getting a compact and they will be cramped lol! :eek: :D

Archived