Sea Sickness Injection

nickyaddis

$41 in April 2006. $30 Professional services $6.00 prescription medication $5.00 Injection supplies

$5.00 injection supplies? Heck, if I had known I could have made a profit on my insulin syringes and alcohol prep pads! Talk about your mark-up! For 5 minutes of the Doctor's (or nurse's) time. And they are only open about 2 ours twice a day. Wish I was a Doctor. I'd sign up for THAT duty! <G>

Karie,

Who kows they do more than that. My father fell on board and got excellent treatment, including x-rays and such.

... and to be honest it's money well spent. My wife was not having the best of times until she had the injection last time on board.

You pay $50, it lasts the duration of the voyage, on a TA that;s $8 per day, say £4.50ish to us Brits ... not bad to ensure you enjoy the journey.

My wife plans on making the medical centre her first port of call when we get back on board in November. I won't object as it knocks her out and I'll get some piece & quiet!!! :)

My wife plans on making the medical centre her first port of call when we get back on board in November. I won't object as it knocks her out and I'll get some piece & quiet!!! :)

Sorry to disappoint you but they'd advise your wife not to have the shot until she's starting to feel sick. How unfortunate - you could go all cruise without that "peace and quiet"!:D

I recommend asking your primary care physician for scopalamine patches so you don't have to visit the medical clinic on board. The idea of being an on board physician sounded appealing but when I visit cruise medical staff websites it looks like the salary is a fraction of US salary. It also looked like one might have to share one of the staff cabins. Still, the idea of working at sea keeps me curious. Have any other medically trained CC members looked into this?

Boulder Girl, MD

If his wife has had the shot with no side effects, stick with it. The patch can have several unpleasant side effects and who wants that on their vacation? Even after taking the patch off, I still had vision problems for 2-3 days after. My motto is not to try any new meds on vacation or when you are not at home.

If the medical office is only open a few hours a day, does that mean if one feels ill one has to wait until the office opens or are shots available when needed? The injection sounds like a good investment if it means going through a cruise/crossing sick or being healthy and enjoying the experience. (I'm taking everything with me--pills, relief band, ginger--but want the shot available, just in case.)

I have DEFINITELY suffered from sea sickness!!! I can tell you that I would pay whatever the cost required to get over it!!

I carry the "shock type" sea bands, I also carry scopollamine (prescribed by my primary care physician), dramamine and anything else that will help! If you have a severe problem (and I do!!)----pay whatever you have to---don't let it ruin your trip!!

Could anyone, that has actually had an injection, please tell me their reaction. Did you feel deadly tired (one Dramamine tablet makes me sleep for hours) and have to sleep immediately - for how long? And, did you feel groggy the following day or have any other side effects? We did a crossing on the QE2 a few years ago and the Atlantic was well behaved but on one thread, I read that there was an enormous storm one July - which is when my husband and I are planning a crossing on the QM2 in 2007. Also, how rough was the Atlantic, or how much motion was there aboard, before you decided to have the seasickness injection. Thanks.

Could anyone, that has actually had an injection, please tell me their reaction.

I had the shot once on the QE2. I'm normally a good sailor and don't get seasick, even the roughest weather is fun:) . On this occasion there was only a mild swell; I woke up feeling dreadfully sick; I wasn't even sure I could make it as far as the doctor without being sick. I got the shot and the doctor told me to lie down for an hour. By the end of that hour I didn't feel sick and I was raring to get out and enjoy myself. I suffered no side effects what-so-ever and I didn't even think about seasickness again on that trip.

Could anyone, that has actually had an injection, please tell me their reaction.

My wife had the injection about 11:30am and within the hour she was extremely tired and had to lie down. She was fast asleep from approximately 1pm till about 6:30pm ...

Having said that, once she awoke she felt 100% better, had no more episodes of sickness and considered the time she was out of it as time well spent!

I first had the injection on a WB crossing on QE2 in December 1993. This was an extremely rough crossing; we had 40 foot seas and the ship rolled 13 degrees at one point. I became sleepy almost immediately and laid down for about 2 hours. After this small nap, I woke refreshed and hungry! I felt great for the duration of this exciting voyage.

I've needed the injection a couple of times since this--most recently last April. Same reaction every time--short nap after which I felt fine.

I have experienced extreme drowsiness with the dramamine, vision problems and balance issues with the scopolamine, etc. etc. I will pay the price for the injection every time if I need it!

Have you ever taken ginger for sea sickness? It is supposed to be very effective.

I can't say that Ginger has never worked for seasickness - only because I've never tried it as the sole method of curing that sickness. Personally I would far rather have something that left me feeling a little drowsy for a couple of hours and that was the end of it rather than something that might (or might not) work. As far as seasickness is concerned I'd go for certainty.

I can't say that Ginger has never worked for seasickness - only because I've never tried it as the sole method of curing that sickness.

Yes I have taken ginger. I especially like the Ginger Cosmopolitans in the Commodore Club. I can't say they are very effective though. Kidding aside, I have eaten ginger but must not have eaten enough!

Thanks, guys, but get serious. A while ago one of those myth busters shows here in the states verified that ginger really works. Try some next time with a dram of your favorite libation and I'll bet that you wake up sooner and with a better taste in your mouth. And not seasick.

Paul

Unless they have changed the formula of the injection (had one 7 years ago on the QE2), they informed me that I would sleep 6-8 hours as a result...and I did. I took it in the morning so that day was basically snoozed away. Absolutely no side effects after that. If people recover from it quicker I say great!

I have been a boat owner for 20 years and have often kept ginger chews and ginger ale on board for guests if we encountered rougher seas. It does work, but remember that that is a remedy for an upset stomach. Ginger combined with sea air, and watching the horizon can be effective. On a cruise, you don't always have the luxury of staring out at the horizon and/or being on deck. (Inside cabin, moonless night, windy/cold weather etc.) Since sea sickness is caused by your inner ear balance being out of whack ginger can only help so much. Taking elevators, walking hallways, taking showers, getting dressed is not a normal activity most people do in 30 foot seas. Ginger may calm your stomach at that point, but it can't relieve the source of your seasickness.

Archived