Make-up bag, do you do this?

GORDONCHICK

I don't travel much. Mainly for vacations. Because of that, I don't have packing down to a science or routine (as evidenced in my living room at this moment!). One thing I do have a routine for is to put my make-up that I think I'll be taking with me into a cosmetic bag about 3-4 days before we leave. I then work out of that bag as I get ready in the mornings. I will discover in these few mornings if I've forgotten anything vital before it's too late and I toss it in at the discovery.

Anyone else have any tried and true packing routines to pass on?

I actually do this with my entire toiletry bag! I have everything from the makeup bag to the deodorant in there a few days ahead of time. Then work out of it. Helps me to realize if I forgot anything and also gets me more excited for vacation(if that is possible)!

Actually, I have a small bag hanging on the back of my door right now. As things such as deodorant and face wash get low, with just enough left to make it through the cruise, I throw them in so that when I am done with them on the cruise I can just throw them away. Beats dealing with brining things back, or taking new full items.

Since I traveled so much for so long, I lived out of my makeup bag. Just toss the bag in when I am ready to go. Toiletries are full sized and don't come out. I just replace what I need to. This way I am ready to go anywhere at a moments notice! Don't need to go for this or that prior.

I like your idea!

My health and beauty aide bag stays packed (I travel a lot) but my makeup bag gets packed the morning of.

When I fly, I don't wear makeup so sometimes my makeup bag gets packed the night before so I don't forget anything.

I don't travel much. Mainly for vacations. Because of that, I don't have packing down to a science or routine (as evidenced in my living room at this moment!). One thing I do have a routine for is to put my make-up that I think I'll be taking with me into a cosmetic bag about 3-4 days before we leave. I then work out of that bag as I get ready in the mornings. I will discover in these few mornings if I've forgotten anything vital before it's too late and I toss it in at the discovery.

Anyone else have any tried and true packing routines to pass on?

From QVC I bought a travelon makeup case. "Travelon Microfiber Train Case with Removeable Organizer Tray" (F10652). I just keep my makeup in the insert, and whenever I travel, close it up and put it in the bag - bag also has a place for brushes. One thing to consider is the new laws on carry on luggage on planes, you should check it out on TSA. Lucky for me I use Bare Escentuals so there are no liquids. Would never check in madeup - always in my carry on along with a change of clothes in case the checked in does not get to me in time for dinner and my jewelry.

I use exactly the same items every time we vacation, whether it is overnight or two weeks. So, I keep a cosmetic bag in my carry on all the time. Other than my eye shadow, mascara and lipstick, everything is always packed.

It did take me several years to accumulate all the travel sized tools I needed, I didn't go out and spend a fortune all at one time. I found that it took me the longer to pack my toiletry kit than my suitcase, so I save a lot of time this way. Plus, I have found through trial and error what I really need and what can comfortably stay home.

For my clothes, I use a rolling rack and hang everything up (even items to be folded). I can then see what I can eliminate, what won't match as well as I thought it would and where I can cut back. I even hang the jewelry with the clothes, so I won't forget anything there, either. I pack from the rack, I think it keeps me from throwing in "extras" that aren't used.

Madhouseinc-

Have you actually carried BE cosmetics on an airplane? Like you, I used to always carry on make-up, jewelery and a few clothing items.

I have been scared to do this because I had visions of $100s of make-up being tossed by the TSA. I wouldn't want to have spend time on the morning of the cruise buying new make-up. I would love to know the exepriences of anyone who actually carried mineral make-up on the plane.

Thanks!

My health and beauty aide bag stays packed (I travel a lot) but my makeup bag gets packed the morning of.

Sometimes I think we're twins!

My bag stays packed at all times with items like toothpaste, deodorant, body lotion, bandaids, face cleanser, Q-tips, travel sized bottle of mouthwash, extra lipstick, etc etc. When I return home from a trip I replenish what's been used with fresh items.

Then the morning I leave, as I put my make-up on, it goes into the travel bag. That way I don't forget anything essential like my mascara.

gordonchick,

If you don't travel much then this method really isn't for you. I'd keep your bag ready now and make a list and pre-pack it. Then you can add daily make-up the day you leave.

It's always the little things - like bandaids - that get forgotten and buying them on a ship is expensive.

It's always the little things - like bandaids - that get forgotten and buying them on a ship is expensive.

Working in a hospital, that's the easiest stuff to pack! We all get these tiny first aid kits that are the size of my palm. They have all that little stuff in there, and we usually get one or two a year, though I usually replace the bandages because I don't like the ones in the kit (yes, I'm a bandage snob...).

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. Since I pack most of the toiletries for the family, I do have a list for that. But when it comes to make-up, I have one blush that I use only when I wear red (and one of my cocktail dresses is red this time) so I don't want to forget it or the lipstick, etc. I usually wear a light pink blush and in most cases, it doesn't look right when I wear a vibrant red. I'm too young to be this set in my ways!!!!

Madhouseinc-

Have you actually carried BE cosmetics on an airplane? Like you, I used to always carry on make-up, jewelery and a few clothing items.

I have been scared to do this because I had visions of $100s of make-up being tossed by the TSA. I wouldn't want to have spend time on the morning of the cruise buying new make-up. I would love to know the exepriences of anyone who actually carried mineral make-up on the plane.

Thanks!

I have not so far, but when Leslie was on QVC the last time that was her statement. I have read up on it quite a bit and think she is right. Restrictions are on liquids and gels. BE is just powder - so there should not be any problems. If so she will be getting a lot of very nasty emails from her customers that believed her.

I do that too with my makeup. Not easy to find makeup when you forget something

I keep a bag with my suitcases of travel size, shampoo, conditoner, lotion,deoderant, first aid kit, extension cord, travel clock, hair brush,,playing cards, note pad everything else but the makeup , so when time to pack I grab and go. I refill the bottles after each trip. Wish I would hav e thought of that years ago.

Archived