Smart Casual Dress

Dick & Linda

We have been on several cruises (15); none on Princess. The cruise information states 2 formal nights and all other nights are smart casual. What does "smart casual" mean for the dining room? Does it mean coat & tie? Tie? Or just a shirt with a collar? Thank you.

In the Caribbean, you will see a lot of Caribbean attire on smart casual nights, flowered shirts and dresses/pants. Also there will be those that wear a coat and tie, but it is definitely not necessary.

The 'smart casual' seems to be more relaxed on shorter cruises then on longer ones, even in the Caribbean we have found.

Smart Casual means country club wear. Not jeans, tank tops, bare midriffs, shorts or bathing suits. Khakis and shirts for the men. Pants or casual dresses for the ladies. The rules are not strictly enforced. I do recall seeing one young Lolita in a string bikini being refused entrance to the dining room, along with her bare chested groupies. (Where was her Mother?!):D

Ok, I thought I would add to this...don't kill me please. I am set for smart casual as I have my capris and sweaters/blouses. However, my BF only has a couple dress pants that have to stretch for 5 nights! Usually he wears a lot of gothic type pants from Hot Topic (the ones with a lot of pockets and zippers and some small straps/silver pieces on them, pic attached.)

Will he have an issue with wearing these a couple nights. I am picking the ones with the least amount of 'stuff' on them. They are all black with some colored piping. He is still young at heart and it will take a lot to get him out of these pants, he loves them! Please help...will he be okay???

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024102&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442137834&bmUID=1160155296645

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times. Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

In the Caribbean, you will see a lot of Caribbean attire on smart casual nights, flowered shirts and dresses/pants.

So "Hawaiian" shirts with Dockers style pants won't be out of order on a 10 day southern caribbean cruise on the Sun on smart casual nights?

augie, no problem with Hawaiian shirts and Dockers. BTW, go Gators, beat LSU!:D

Thanks!

For some strange reason I don't expect you'll be saying "Go Gators" next week. ;)

I'll be watching our matchup on the Sun Princess - that way I'll have a great venue to either celebrate or to try and forget...

Ok, I thought I would add to this...don't kill me please. I am set for smart casual as I have my capris and sweaters/blouses. However, my BF only has a couple dress pants that have to stretch for 5 nights! Usually he wears a lot of gothic type pants from Hot Topic (the ones with a lot of pockets and zippers and some small straps/silver pieces on them, pic attached.)

Will he have an issue with wearing these a couple nights. I am picking the ones with the least amount of 'stuff' on them. They are all black with some colored piping. He is still young at heart and it will take a lot to get him out of these pants, he loves them! Please help...will he be okay???

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024102&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442137834&bmUID=1160155296645

I guess it depends on what you mean by okay. Will they let him in the dining room - probably. Will he be appropriately dressed? Probably not. IMHO he would do better to just wear the two pair of dress slacks with different shirts the entire time. That's what my DH does. Plus we usually end up skipping the dining room some nights anyway. The buffet is really good and sometimes the dining room just isn't worth the effort.

Have a great cruise!

Amy, I would suggest the same as Kathyne did. Tell your BF to bring a clean shirt for each night, and stretch the dress pants over the week. The link you provided was of a pair of pants that are, IMO, are too casual, too slouchy, too jangly and too much swinging stuff to fit in at night. During the day, no problem. You are going into a fine dining establishment, the waiters will be all dressed up in jackets and ties every night.

I agree with Cheryl and Kathyne. A pair of dress pants, Dockers or chinos can be stretched to be worn every "Smart Casual" evening. He'll be able to wear these pants when he goes out in the adult world so they won't be a waste of $$$.

Your BF could easily get by with a couple of regular dress pants. My DH brought a pair of khaki and a pair of black dockers. He also brought his suite for formal nights. By day three he had eaten so much he could not fit into his black dockers, so he just switched out his suite pants and his khaki's. He did fine with that. I was sick of seeing them though!!!

My son came on a cruise with us a while back.. Young 20's and he wears pants liked you showed.

We bought him two pairs of dockers which he wore the nights that were not formal... After dinner he went back to the room and changed into the pants like in your picture... I understand that your BF may be uncomfotable in more formal pants, but if just for a few hours he might go for it. I think in the end he might just be happy that he has a couple of pair of dockers to go to dinner in once he sees what everyone is wearing.

Smart Casual means country club wear. Not jeans, tank tops, bare midriffs, shorts or bathing suits. Khakis and shirts for the men. Pants or casual dresses for the ladies. The rules are not strictly enforced. I do recall seeing one young Lolita in a string bikini being refused entrance to the dining room, along with her bare chested groupies. (Where was her Mother?!):D

Sorry I missed that:D

Archived