Is there anyplace on the Infinity where you can really see the sky at night?

flagger

It seems from pictures posted that Infinity (and most other cruise ships) that they are lit up like small cities at night. Are there any public places in the dark that blocks out the light pollution on open decks that one can really see either the water or the sky?

I know I can see a portion from my balcony, but we are on the sky deck in CC class where there is a cut out from the overhang so I think we will not get a full view of the sky unless out on an open deck.

Any advice on dark places would be appreciated.

Flagger: Actually, you will find a nice area for star gazing on the aft deck next to the Waterfall Grill on Deck 10. There's a great bar and tables, etc. It's a wonderful place to sit, relax with a warm drink and hopefully get a chance to view the northern lights---which we missed by a few days last August on our Southbound(Seward-Vancouver)cruise on the Summit. Glad to hear you're getting excited about your forthcoming cruise. You will enjoy C Class and your balcony. Each morning(6-6:30AM) Jay and I would have a wonderful breakfast on our balcony. Overlooking spectacular scenery and breathing in the CLEANEST air, we would discuss our day's excursions, etc. You are in for a treat. Best wishes for a safe and wonderful cruise, formal dressing and all.:)

There are no good dark spots on the Celebrity fleet for stargazing. Deck 14 forward isn't too bad, but it's only so-so.

To be honest, the only cruise ships I've been on that have reasonably dark deck spots are the Princess Sun class (how ironic ;) ), there's a nice dark spot forward.

Flagger -

You're on the Infinity in Alaska - There isn't a whole lot of night on an Alaskan cruise. We did Alaska in June and we had 20 hours of daylight, 2 hours of dusk and then 2 hours of dawn. Seeing that you're sailing in September, you might get an hour or so of dark.

Hmmm...I have been following the Alaska board pretty closely for almost a year and they say mid-September brings dusk around 7pm. I have mentally prepared both of us for cloudy, rainy weather every day so we won't be dissappointed since last year was highly atypical for Mid-September.

We might, however, get to see the Northern Lights which is why I asked about dark spaces.

On the Millenium the front of the ship had some great areas (just above the lounge). They didn't have a lot of lights and you could grab a deck chair and sit back and watch the stars.

The helipad on the bow of the RCCL Voyager class ships is an excellent place for watching stars.

Basically, any ship that allows the passengers access to the bow area in front of and below the bridge would have good star viewing, since that area has to be kept absolutely dark to protect the night vision of the bridge crew. On Century, this area is the crew's pool and recreation area, so no passengers allowed.

Theron

Ah right, you get to advance to Boardwalk and collect $200.00 for giving the best answer so far.

The helipad on the bow of the RCCL Voyager class ships is an excellent place for watching stars.

Basically, any ship that allows the passengers access to the bow area in front of and below the bridge would have good star viewing, since that area has to be kept absolutely dark to protect the night vision of the bridge crew. On Century, this area is the crew's pool and recreation area, so no passengers allowed.

Theron

When I started crusing in the 80's, most of the ships had some nice dark spots forward where the view of the stars was fantastic. As the years move along, the ships get to be larger and there are more and more lights and fewer and fewer places where one can stargaze. Anyone have any theories why the cruise lines insist on making the decks as bright as a city?

Jim

Interesting thread. AkaWanda and I were talking about this yesterday. We kinda, sorta think the bright lights all over are to help prevent pax accidents, trip, fall etc.

We sailed Alaska last year September and sure remember it getting dark by 7ish. Flagger, hope you have better luck than us. It was overcast, raining every night but the last (when we were in victoria). Didn't mind the weather but would have liked to be able to star gaze. I guess that is why we need to go back next May.

Archived