First night freebie from AMEX in Pinnacle

stuNYC

I presume that I have to make a reservation. Can I make a reservation before I board. If so, how soon? I also have another freebie for one other night. Should I book on board or ahead of time. Is there a long line for reservations.

What time is dinner served in Pinnacle. I presume that I should use these rather than eat in main dining room?

Thanks in advance

The AMEX Plat is free for the first night only. You can not make a reservation until you are on the ship. A couple of times when HAL was offering those 1/2 off first night deals, we were not able to take advantage of that AMEX perk because they were already filled up by the time we got on the ship. Now that HAL has stopped that we have had no problems getting a reservation for the first night. And I imagine that now that HAL is charging $30 per person -- really won't be a problem at all.

Hi - I made the reservations to Pinnacle Grill last spring about 2 months in advance (for Veendam March -06). I just called HAL and told the date & time I wanted the reservations. Pinnacle Grill does not have any fixed dinner times so you can choose the time (though I suppose it has to be something between 6PM and 9 PM).

When we boarded we had confirmation cards stating the reserved date & time in our stateroom.

Dinner reservation in the Pinnacle are from 6 - 9 PM.

If I had been given a couple of free dinners at the Pinnacle, I wouldn't wate them. Remember that the person who has paid for those dinners is not going to get that money back if you don't use the freebe.

Once on the ship, if you don't want to use it, you could ask if they would be willing to give you shipboard credit in leau of the dinner.

We have been surprised when we arrived in our Suite and found that we had been given gifts by people (other than our TA) for dinner in Pinnacle. What a nice surprise that always is!!!!

We have never had a problem making a reservation for the opportunity to use those gift certificates. If we couldn't go on one evening, we go on another.

We couldn't (didn't) preserve prior to arriving at the ship as we didn't know we would be getting those gifts.

I was able to make a reservation for the Pinnacle Grill in advance through ships services, on our recent trip on the Westerdam. We had been given several freebees and had no trouble getting a reservation in advance or when on the ship. We actually cancelled a third night at the Pinnacle since the menu did not change and we felt the menu in the regular dining room was actually more interesting at times.

I originally got the AMEX platinum card which cost $395 to get when I first started cruising. I figured that that the membership cost would be more than offset if I took 2 cruises a year. However, in the past five years, this is only the second time I have been able to get the benefits since I have been sailing on primarily on Celebrity and RCCL, which are NOT part of the program.

So the amenities below actually cost me over the last five years far more then I am receiving. If we like HAL then it will be cost effective in the future.

Amex platinum amenities include

pinnacle grill on the 1st night of grill

bottle of champagne

$300 on board credit

$100 credit off my AMEX statement

Coincidentally, AMEX also booked a block of SS SY rooms

Their "group" amenities include:

another night at the pinacle grill

2 bottles of wine

cruise DVD

8x!0 photo

Our "freebees" were furnished by the cruise agency I booked through. I didn't know about this until I called ship's services for some other reason and they mentioned that we had free dinner in the Pinnacle, free bottles of wine, free pictures, etc. We liked having the wine, which was decent and kept us going through most of the trip.

I spoke to someone at AMEX Platinum today and asked if the benefits on HAL are to continue in 2007. She stated that they will "as far as I know."

While I was waiting on the line to speak to her, a recording stated that an extra $100 shipboard credit was being given for bookings until October 31st.:D

Does anyone know if they give the full benefit if you are booking at a Promo rate? This is not a Promo that has a shipboard credit or any cabin upgrades, just lower prices across the board for all categories.

I spoke to someone at AMEX Platinum today and asked if the benefits on HAL are to continue in 2007. She stated that they will "as far as I know."

While I was waiting on the line to speak to her, a recording stated that an extra $100 shipboard credit was being given for bookings until October 31st.:D

Does anyone know if they give the full benefit if you are booking at a Promo rate? This is not a Promo that has a shipboard credit or any cabin upgrades, just lower prices across the board for all categories.

The $100. credit is a good deal if AMEX is truly competitive in its pricing with a lot of other agencies. Can anyone shed some light on how AMEX compares in its pricing?

The $100. credit is a good deal if AMEX is truly competitive in its pricing with a lot of other agencies. Can anyone shed some light on how AMEX compares in its pricing?

At least I have been extremely happy. Just got a quote for 11 nights Noordam VA cabin on Navigation Deck - $1394/pp (and also received info about this $100 credit). :) I asked for the quote directly from Plat. travel services. The other (internet agencies) I have used before sell the same cruise and VA category on a lower deck for approx. $1650/pp.

EDIT: Oh...and they said no deal for 2007 yet (Pinnacle etc.)... :(

European_CruiseGirl,

This shows you how you get different answers from different people when you call these travel agencies. Now I wonder if I want to book through AMEX if I don't get the shipboard credit, especially if their pricing is more than HAL's.:(

Archived