Just back from Vantage in Europe

Judyumcer@aol.com

This, too, was our first river cruise. It was much nicer than we expected after many ocean cruises. We did the Castles Along the Rhine. We did our own air and arrived in Budapest 5 days before the cruise. Stayed at the Budapest Marriott. Wonderful location with beautiful views. The breakfast included was skimpy at best. We hired a private guide for a day and a half and got to see some surrounding villages. Budapest, like our visit to Istanbul was very interesting and we enjoyed being there but I am sure it was a one thing. We boarded the Vantage River Navigator and were greeted very kindly by the staff. Personally excorted to our suite. It was much bigger than I imagined. There was fresh fruit and wine waitiing for us in the suite. It came with a 36" plasma TV. They had a large selection of videos at the reception desk. It was nice to watch a movie after a busy day touring. There is not much entertainment after dinner. The itinerary was wonderful. So beautiful cruising along and seeing the villages and vineyards and castles. The ship was smooth; almost no movement felt. The locks were many and became routine after the first couple of days. The cruise directors (3) were all excellent. They made every effort to see tht everyone was well taken care of. The tours were usually guided by local guides that spoke beautiful English and were so knowledgable. The really GREAT thing that Vantage offers and other line do not are headphones and receivers. They are wonderful! You can lag behind a little or be in a gift shop and still hear the guide. No straining to hear what they are saying. This alone would make us choose Vantage over the other lines. When we left for tours the cruise directors were giving out bottles of water. Upon return on several occassions they were waiting in the reception area with drinks or cookies or gingerbread. I thouht that was a nice touch. The food overall was good. Breakfast was very good. Buffet and they also had would make you eggs or omlettets. The lunches were excellent. You could have the buffet or order from the menu. The dinners were at 7:00 and lasted an hour. We found the protions at dinner to be small but very good. We never went away hungry and yes you would have "seconds". We were on board for 14 days and took the 2 night post cruise in Amsterdam. Vantage provided guided tours and a dinner as well as breakfast. There tours were included in the price of the cruise. We didn't feel nickel and dimed. It was very well organized and I didn't hear any complaints. Most of these passengers were first timers on river cruises as well. No problems with the water levels. My only complaint with Vantage is their customer service in Boston. They are very lax in answering e-mails and you are put on hold for at least 20 mins when you phone. Our documents came as promised well ahead of our departure. They were even so kind to take us to the airport in Amsterdam even though we did our own air. I thought this was going beyond. We would certainly do another vacation with Vantage.

So glad to hear you had a good trip, Judy.

I'm interested about Vantage -- was wine included with dinner? Also, what was the age demographics of the passengers on your ship? Were they from countries other than the US?

Thanks for posting for those of us who are once again landlocked.

The wine was included at 2 dinners. Since we had a suite they gave us 3 bottles of wine for our suite and fresh fruit. You can bring your own wine onboard and there are plently of places to get great wine. We also did a couple of wine tastings in real wine cellars. I say the ages were mostly 50's and 60's. A few younger and a few older. Most everyone was active and for thoses who are not, they go out of their way for them. I was very pleased with Vantage. Saw alot of other river boats along the way and Vantage did look the nicest. Altho, Grand Circle is almost identical. Viking looked nice too. The headsets were the winner in this contest. What a great idea. They are really as asset! Any more questions, ask! Judy

Archived