Door Decorating

hkolln

I bought a roll of poster tape at Wal Mart. It is made by Scotch tape and looks like a regular roll of tape in a plastic dispenser, except that the dispenser is red and says Poster Tape on it. It is double side and thicker than regular tape. There is 150" on a roll, so it goes a long way.

[quote name='montekat']I bought a roll of poster tape at Wal Mart. It is made by Scotch tape and looks like a regular roll of tape in a plastic dispenser, except that the dispenser is red and says Poster Tape on it. It is double side and thicker than regular tape. There is 150" on a roll, so it goes a long way.[/QUOTE]

:cool: [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]Thanks for letting me know where to find the poster tape, I don't remember seeing it before. We have recently gotten a Wal Mart in our town (after much fighting among the locals), I was there last week and I was really surprised at the savings. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not going to give up shopping at Costco, but I will think about it when I need less then a case of something.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='mishy916']We just came back from being on the Monarch of the Seas. We walked around and didnt see one door decoration. Im glad we didnt end up doing one or we would of been the only ones lol. :( I think its a cool idea though.[/QUOTE]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]This is why I'm trying to keep the signs low key. They will only be 8" by 10" so hopefully they won't look too bad and also we have five suites all in a row. I think that if I was on a theme cruise then it would be fun to go all out according to the theme, such as jazz or Jimmy Buffet etc. and I have seen that some CC'ers have done that and it really looks like fun. Shirley [/color][/size][/font]

We were on the Zuiderdam in May and the doors are only metal around the edges...I had my magnetic sign, but also took along poster putty--it's a yellow, plyable material. 4 dots of that and the sign stayed up, all week! I'm not sure if poster tape would do any damage, but the poster adhesive came off very cleanly.

There were a few other doors decorated on our corridor and we enjoyed every one--it's a great way to introduce yourselves and show a little of your favorite things! Our sign is also just an 8 1/2 X 11 magnetic page, with pictures of our interests and our first names--we reuse it on every cruise!:D

[quote name='csg99']We were on the Zuiderdam in May and the doors are only metal around the edges...I had my magnetic sign, but also took along poster putty--it's a yellow, plyable material. 4 dots of that and the sign stayed up, all week! I'm not sure if poster tape would do any damage, but the poster adhesive came off very cleanly.

There were a few other doors decorated on our corridor and we enjoyed every one--it's a great way to introduce yourselves and show a little of your favorite things! Our sign is also just an 8 1/2 X 11 magnetic page, with pictures of our interests and our first names--we reuse it on every cruise!:D[/QUOTE]

:) [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]Thanks for the information on Poster Putty. I bought some Poster Tape yesterday and testing it on a door here at home. I looked for the Poster Putty at Staplers and Office Depot and couldn't find it, I thought maybe I would ck with an art store to see if they carry it. If you have any ideas where to buy it I would appreciate hearing from you. Don't you love all the helpful information we can get off these boards? Shirley[/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE="Wandering Wino's"][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]Thanks for the information on Poster Putty. I bought some Poster Tape yesterday and testing it on a door here at home. I looked for the Poster Putty at Staplers and Office Depot and couldn't find it, I thought maybe I would ck with an art store to see if they carry it. If you have any ideas where to buy it I would appreciate hearing from you. Don't you love all the helpful information we can get off these boards? Shirley[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE][size=4][color=black]I got mine at WalGreens :) Then found some at the 99 cent store :) Office Depot has it too :) Good Luck![/color][/size]

[quote name='Ziggy7'][size=4][color=black]I got mine at WalGreens :) Then found some at the 99 cent store :) Office Depot has it too :) Good Luck![/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]I did find some of the puddy and it was right at Staples, either I didn't see it the last time I was looking or they knew I needed it and ordered it for me (I doubt that). But now thanks to everyone I'm prepared to hang my door decorations. I'm been testing out some on a door here at home and it is still hanging after several days, but unless we have an earthquake I'm not sure the test is a true example of what happens on rocky seas. Not that I want a earthquake to prove my test, even though I have lived in "Earthquake Country" all my life I still don't like them. Thanks for everything you do. Shirley [/color][/size][/font]

• 3 weeks later...
I did not decorated our door, but on our July 22 cruise on NCL Sea I put a few magnets on our door. Someone took all the magnets from our door the next day. I had to put a sticky note up and asked the person who took them to return them. They didn't return them but they appeared a coupled of days later a few doors down from us. Another passenger and the steward pointed us to where they were and got them back. I didn't put them back up.

Wife and I always decorate our door. We have been known to go a bit overboard, so to speak. We take poster board as a base, using putty and usually also tape to attach them to the door. We start by printing a current photo of ourselves so other cruisers like myself, who remember faces but have a bit of trouble with names, know who we are. We also attach a pack of post-it notes and a pen attached with a piece of yarn or such. Then we print a sign-up sheet which we can remove at the end of the cruise and keep. A couple of cruises ago the captain even signed our sheet!! Then we decorate with bright colors and sometimes small streamers. Have never had any trouble with things disappearing and have had some nice comments on our efforts. This also makes it quite a bit easier to get to the right room after an evening of overindulging...lol. Turn your imagination loose and just enjoy it....

We just got back from the N. Dream and our door(s) were the only ones with "decorations."

Our door was immediately next to the elevators and many people told us, "Thanks" because they knew which way to turn when they got off!

Last December we put cute felt stockings on our doors and they were the "talk" of many areas!! The kids from the kids' club took a walk by and started putting little gifts in them (the first time it was dollar bills!!).........I wrote THANK YOU NOTES TO SANTA.................it went on for the rest of the cruise. They got so excited every time there was a note. We didn't know who'd been doing it until one day they walked by and our door was propped open...........but, it was the last evening, anyhow.

The best thing..................in a long line of matching doors, we always know which one is ours........and others always enjoy the decor.

This last time, I just bought see-through placemats at the Dollar Store with a fall theme...............I just leave them on the ship..........but not for the room steward to have to scrape off!:p

• 1 month later...
[quote name='RObynbca']We are trying to get door decorations together. I bought a straw mat as a base but I am afraid it is to wide for the door. Does anyone know the door width of a typical balcony cabin on a Carnival Cruise?[/quote][SIZE=4][COLOR=Black]Thats a question you should ask on the Carnival thread, I bet you will get tons of answers there, sorry I havent measured any of the cabin doors I was in, if you dont find out you could always place stuff on the matt more to one side and then take siccors and cut the mat to fit.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

It was my boyfriends first cruise and we were on the Glory. We were the only ones to decorate our door the whole cruise. I had collected some stuff from a party store that was going out of business. I bought cut-outs of parrots and crabs. I also bought a luau themed stuff from the dollar store and it came with a banner and a mural peice that just fit the door. I just used regular scotch tape and it worked fine.

It definately was a pleasant surprise when we came around the corner and there was our delightful door and hallway decorations! We had many compliments and alot of praise. I think people like a little of the unexpected.

I was thinking about doing it again on our upcoming Legend of the Seas cruise with the kids, we have two rooms. I thought of doing ours with more cruise/party stuff and then doing the kids door in birthday since it is my sons birthday cruise. I paid to have their room decorated by the cruiseline for his birthday! Great fun, I think!

Happy Door Decorating!
Cruizinrican

Carnival Celebration and I also decorated our friends' door - I think ours were the only ones on the ship too! Didn't deter me though - I used magnetic paper, stickers and such! It was great - and easier to find our door stumbling in at nite !!! :p
Lisa
lakeluvr

You could put up left over on sale Halloween decorations, Turkeys and start the season early with Christmas decorations.
I think a sign on the door "OFFICAL CRUISE LINE SEX SURROGATE" might make the cruise even more interesting and a great way to meet new friends and dinner companions.

• 2 weeks later...
I decorated our door,my sisters door,and my moms door.

I got some poster board and made a clothes line acrossed it.Then I cut out some different pieces of clothing (shirts,pants dresses,bloomers,socks,etc) I had written insturctions for peple to pick out an item write where they were from n names and hang it on our clothes line..Everyone commented on how cute it was we had alot of fun and still have it today... Just an idea....

Oh I am so excited to try out this door decorating thing!
Anyone have advice on NCL's policy about this?
How about the doors on the Jewel?
Are they metal?
Are there any suggestions on what NOT to use or put up or to use TO PUT UP WITH?
Thanks for all the suggestions!
I hope to suprize the children and my parents with some of the great ideas
Stacey

I decorated our doors, used magnetic sheeting 8.5 x 11, the doors on the disney ships are metal, haven't used the signs on the other ships.
It made it really easy for you to find the room and the kids loved having there pictures up.
I have also put up door decor for a birthday and printed a huge picture of the ship with Happy birthday messages and used tape to put it on the cabin walls, have never had a problem decorating, take it down before we leave.

[quote name='m steve']You could put up left over on sale Halloween decorations, Turkeys and start the season early with Christmas decorations.
I think a sign on the door "OFFICAL CRUISE LINE SEX SURROGATE" might make the cruise even more interesting and a great way to meet new friends and dinner companions.[/quote]

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4]I think this was totally unneccesary. Leave people alone and let them have thier fun.[/SIZE][/FONT]

• 1 month later...
M Steve...I think your sign would be funny! I myself am putting up 54 signes on the Paradise in Sept 06 for our 30 yr high school reunion cruise. I got a template from another Cruisecritic member and added their names below each one. It will be a nice suprise when they each go to find their cabin.

Cinder

I'm blown away. Can we really decorate our doors?

This is my first curise anywhere and we are southbound from Seward on RC on 9/9/06.

We have about 20 in our group so if we can decorate our doors we will be able to find each other eaiser. I think it is a great idea!!!

[quote name='mwwoman']I'm blown away. Can we really decorate our doors?

This is my first curise anywhere and we are southbound from Seward on RC on 9/9/06.

We have about 20 in our group so if we can decorate our doors we will be able to find each other eaiser. I think it is a great idea!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Our door was right off of the elevator that most people got off of to go to the pool on our last cruise. We found some "ocean and fish" decorations at the party store that looked really cool. We used the 3M mounting tape from Walmart and it worked well. And, nobody took our stuff.

BUT, if you have kids in your cabin, I would be careful about putting sticky notes or a marker board on your door. We tried that and I found out the first morning the people walking by very late at night could think up some pretty sick things to write on the notes on the door. I was having to beat my kids to the outside of the door in the mornings to throw away the nasty notes, so I ended up doing away with the sticky notes. Too bad some people can't behave themselves.

[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy]I have seen doors decorated on the Summit for Anniversaries and Birthdays. I would like to decorate our door on our next cruise for St. Patty's day. However, I can't remember how the door decorations on the Summit were applied.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=#000080]Does anybody know if I can use magnets?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

Archived