Saw My First NCL Commercial

Tom O.

I happened to catch a new commercial for NCL the other night. I had never seen one before.

I think they made it a little too negative. Sort of like those political commercials that instead of promoting their candidate, attack the opposition. The commercial was making fun of other cruise lines fixed eating times and dress codes. It showed a bunch of formaly dressed people marching in unison to dinner.

I think they would be better off just promoting NCL without attacking other cruise lines. Whenever I see a negative political commercial I think that they are attacking the opposition because they can't think of anything good to say about their own candidate. I am sure that NCL has a lot of good things to say about itself.

You have to realize that there's a large segment of the population who have never cruised just because of what they make fun of. I have a lot of professionals who hate the thought of taking formal clothes with them on a cruise and most of them pay twice as much to go to an all inclusive resort instead of going on a cruise. I think that the commercials will attract a lot of people to NCL who have never thougth about cruising. In the next several years we might even see the end of some of these long established traditions that are hold overs from the old days.

I guess I didn't like the commercial because I felt they were making fun of me. I like the traditional cruising experience. Yet, I am booked on a future NCL cruise. This NCL cruise is an experiment for me. I booked it mostly because the itenerary was better than Princess, where I usually cruise. And I admit it, although I enjoy dressing up formaly, it is a hassle to carry along all those extra clothes. Plus, this cruise will be the first that we will be taking with my two daughters (they will be young adults). And they don't like the idea of formal dress.

Anyway it was exciting to see a commercial for NCL knowing that I will be on one of their ships in the future.

I thought the commercials were catchy. We had a bunch of friends over for dinner the other night and 2 of the new NCL commercials came on during the time they were here. It got everyone talking and now 2 couples that we know have booked a cruise with NCL because of the conversation that was started after watching those commercials. I don't think they were making fun of anyone, just trying to catch your attention and show you the difference with no schedules, no set way of doing anything, they stand out from the others, etc. and honestly, they do. :)

JMHO.

I answered a similar post the other day. I was disappointed with the NCL tv commercial.:(

I LOVE the RCCL and CARNIVAL ones. The songs stay in my head and put me in cruise mode. Honestly, until I read this thread I really forgot the "jist" of the NCL commercial. Oh well, still sailing with them in 27 days!!!! :D

~Connie

Archived