hobart experiences

sunsetme

Yes, you're right. My fingers weren't typing what my brain was thinking....

Port Arthur - the original prison.

IMHO, it's definitely worth seeing.

We stopped in Richmond along the way as well.

Jane

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Hobart in a weeks time and we are returning to Port Arthur to see the ruins. That is a very historic site and well worth the drive. Richmond is a very pretty town and I am sure that the bus will stop there either on the way or on the return.

Hobart itself is very historic and there are some lovely areas including Battery Point which is great for walking around. Also a trip to Cascade Brewery or Cadbury's chocolate factory is a change from the usual.

Jennie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jennie,

I would really appreciate your help with what we should see in Melbourne and Hobart as we will be cruising there in March on the Sapphire Princess. Would like to see sights and some wildlife at a reasonable cost.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

We have just returned from spending time in Hobart and I posted some information on what we did down there in Hobart on another thread. Here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=441753

Also, when in Melbourne and if you are interested in wildlife, I would definitely go to our Healesville Sanctuary where you will see all our native animals. I have also written about Healesville in the posting above.

If you are interested in other sort of animals, then we have two wonderful zoos here in Melbourne. The main one is the Royal Zoological Gardens and it is one of the 3 best in the world. It is easy to reach by public transport and is quite close to the centre of the city. The second is our free range zoo at Werribee and the animals do exactly as it states, roam around and you drive through or around them. You would need to hire a car or taxi to see this zoo.

The same applies to our Healesville Sanctuary as it is about an hours drive from the centre of the city.

Jennie

Reforee,

Re: Tasmania, we will be on the Jan 11 Princess cruise and have booked a tour privately from this company: http://www.showyoutasmania.com.au

The cost is $500 NZD for a vehicle that can seat 7 people. We plan to visit Mt. Field National Park (incl Russell Falls), Something Wild animal sanctuary, the town of Richmond plus Battery Point. They will customarize your tour to anything you want to see. Since you don't leave until March, I should be able to give some feedback after we return.

Thank you both so much for the replies!

Jennie: I have read your post and it seemed like a wonderful tour that you had in Hobart. I am going to check with Gray Line tours who offers an all day tour to Russell Falls with lunch, and goes to a wildlife park (not sure which one).

Erin: In the meantime, I'll await your posting when you get back in January before we make our decision on which tour to take. Thanks!

Jim,

That tour by Gray Lines sounds the go. We actually drove ourselves as we hired a car for the week whilst we were in Tasmania. It is an easy drive and there is very little traffic on the roads but if you are not used to driving on the left hand side or don't know the area it is perhaps easier to go with a bus tour. Good luck, you will enjoy Hobart. It is a lovely city.

Jennie

Archived