Rental Cars at San Francisco dock ??

travel1

The closest would be any of the hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf area that have rental car desks...Hertz and Avis have a location at 500 Beach Street, Enterprise is at 350 Beach St.- About four city blocks to the Beach Street locations from the cruise pier.

Andrew

I walked to one of those Beech street addresses (I think it was Hertz, but I don't really remember). It was probably a ten-minute brisk walk. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not restricted in your mobility. If you have any type of disability or have a hard time getting around, it's a bit of a trek...

Unless you are planning to leave the city and go to Napa etc., why would you rent in SFO.
Erm...let's see...in addition to Napa, and Sonoma, there's: Russian River, Point Reyes, Muir Woods, Marin Headlands, Mt. Diablo, Stanford, Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Coast Highway, and that's just off the top of my head.

True, if you're staying in Fisherman's Wharf area, or just taking the street car to Union Square, there's no need for a car. But even driving to Twin Peaks on your own, or going to Golden Gate Park at the shore end, or getting to many of the other places like the Palace of Legion of Honor or the Palace of Fine Arts are MUCH easier with a car. Traffic isn't that bad except in the Financial District, and that's where most of the one way streets are, too. But we do have a comprehensive bus system, and it's not as scary as some cities...;)

What IS true is that, on a cruise, you won't have time to do that many things, so think about coming back for a longer stay sometime!

(No, I don't work for the Convention and Visitor's Bureau!:D )

We were thinking about driving to Napa to see some friends. I just will wait and see when we need to return the car. Thanks to the San Fran native.

(maybe I will rent a Mustang and run down that hill like Steve McQuine.)

Always ask about after hours returns. Conversely, there are lots of agencies on Mason St/near Union Square that might have better hours, and then you could simply take the "F" line- San Francisco's retored antique trolleys- back to the ship. Might buy you a few more hours...

Andrew

Archived