For Ladies Only! A question...

Hi cruising ladies,

Our first cruise is coming up, and according to my calendar..... the day we leave is the day that I'm expecting my monthly visitor. :( I could ask my Dr. for something to hold it off for the week, but DH and I are trying to start a family and I don't want to mess with my cycles at this point.

I guess I'm hoping to hear from other female cruisers who've been in this situation... I want to know I'm not alone in my plight of lousy timing! Also, any tips on surviving this on a cruise vacation? I've never had it on ANY vacation, but I guess the streak was bound to end someday.

Thanks for listening to me whine! :rolleyes:

My Tips:

1. Pain Killers! (I can't live without my Motrin 800mg) ;)

2. Dark colored bottoms, shorts (just in case)

3. Plenty of your usually protection

4. And Pray, Pray, Pray that it will go away!!! :D

Hi natesfirewife and besito20,

Thanks for the tips! I already bought a big bottle of Tylenol -- Advil and chocolate are two of my basic food groups :rolleyes: , but I've had to lay off the Advil since we're trying to conceive. Aleve might be a better idea though, since it's long-acting. I'll check with the Dr.

besito20, Looks like you'll be on Mariner the week before we are. What deck/cabin do you have? And what kinds of outfits are you taking for casual nights in the Dining Room? I was thinking capris and khakis, but am wondering if I should be thinking more dressy than that?

Take care!:)

njreindeer,

Yes, we will be on the 8/22 sailing on the Mariner! About one month to go and I can't wait! Hubbie and I have a D3 balcony on the sixth deck. This will be our 1st Voyager Class ship to sail on and our first balcony. In total, this will be our 3rd cruise.

For casual nights....

On our previous cruises, I've taken like Gap-like capris with nice tops (not too fancy). For this cruise, I've purchased knee length skirts from Gap and Old Navy and cute tops. Banana Republic and Express has nice casual "cruise" wear. I'm not too sure what kind of clothes you like to wear...but I'm more of a somewhat casual dresser. I try to look neat but I also don't worry too much about "making sure I wear the 'proper' attire." As long as I'm comfy and look cute...in my opinion...that's all that matters. ;)

Your postings reminded me of the last time I went on a cruise for a week. It messed up my 'timing' while on the water and when I came home I had it the next day. It was two weeks earlier than normal. I don't know if it is the sea thing or a moon thing, but by co-incidence one of my co-shipmates ran into the same situation. Weird and unexpected.

Hey NJ -

I have the same situation. As of right now, I'm scheduled to get it right in the middle of our trip (Wednesday). So, I hoping and praying that my next cycle (before the trip) will come a little late. I know it's not guaranteed, but I'm going off of past experience. With some of my previous trips and my wedding & honeymoon, I was scheduled to have it. But, each time, my body was thrown off cycle and I, like you, never got it during the trips nor the wedding. It must have been from stress or anxiety and each time I hoped and prayed in advance. So, keep your fingers crossed for me too :)

I was on Mariner in June and got mine while on board. Normally I am a heating pad and in the bed for two days kind of gal, but I was determined not to have that happen on board. Ask your doctor if you can take Diurex (water retention pill) becasue it made a tremendous difference in the discomfort level. Also I wear pads as much as I can so ... well I don't want to be too graphic but so all things can run their course. When swimming I always use tampons though. All in all, with a little pain medication and the Diurex (really cheap at WalMart), I was fine! Hope you will be too!

For casual nights - I wore capris the first night becasue they were easy to fit in my carry on. I wore a mix of dresses and capris with heels and dressy tops for casual nights.

I'd suggest wearing a fanny pack to keep your supplies with you so you can just pop into a bathroom. There are bathrooms everywhere so you don't have to head back to your room. Dark colored bottoms just in case. Hey it's better then getting it while camping!

There is a great product called Instead (and no, I don't work for them), which is basically like a mini diaphragm, though you don't need a prescription for it. It's about the circumferance of a small tennis ball (but flat, like a diagragm), and if you've seen a prescription one, this type is smaller, and one-size-fits-all.

Anyway, they are easy to use, and basically they collect and keep away flow - so that you can swim and have romance and so on. When you take it out later it can be a little surprising if you're leery of blood - but believe me, they work great. I ALWAYS seem to have this problem when traveling and this product is great for that, or for home.

Instead can be used all the time instead of tampons or pads, but where it really shines is those occasions where you don't want to be having 'the curse' that day.

Hope this isn't too graphic!

Oh, How I envy those whose cycles are thrown off late! We were on a cruise last month and I got mine on the first day! (Wasn't expecting it for 2 more weeks!) I always seem to get it at the most inconvenient times. "What did you get for Christmas?", "What did you get for your Birthday", Anniversary, Mothers Day....you get the picture. UGH!!!

There are restrooms all over the ship, all stocked and free of charge. If you run out of your favorite product, you won't have to fret. I sent the hubby to a store in port. (He loves it when I do that...NOT!) There are so many different products to use nowadays, you shouldn't have to sit out on any of the fun.

Have fun, hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

I, too, always seem to me expecting it on vacation. It's really not that big of a deal. Just make sure any tours you are booked on have bathrooms. In Antigua, we took an 8 hour boat tour with no bathroom anywhere. Luckily for me, I was way early that month!

Just make sure you bring plenty of supplies. It's not always easy / possible / cost effective to find what you want & are comfortable using in other countries & especially aboard ship.

It's a shame about the timing b/c I'm sure you were hoping for a "permanent" cruise souvenier. ;)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this happens to. Actually, my sister has the same problem I do. I think that no matter when I plan a vacation for, I'll be sure to get my period either on the plane or sometime during the week. My sister and I joke that all we need to do is hear the word "vacation" to start flowing!

Seriously, I once had to leave Universal Studios and go back to our hotel to change my clothes & shower because an unpleasant little surprise happened a week and a half early!:eek:

Proof positive, I think, that God cannot POSSIBLY be a woman!!

Sharon H.

To answer your question if there is a pill or shot your doctor can give you, the answer is yes. I did this for a vacation we took a few years back. Mine was a pill and it prolonged it for about 2 weeks. My husband is in the military and my doctor was actually the one to tell me about it! So if the military is offering it then your doctor probably does too!

You are all making me feel SO much better! I'm sorry for everyone who gets it during their vacations, but I'm happy that I'm not alone! I almost feel MORE sorry for my hubby, 'cause he thought the week on the ship would be one big nookie-fest. ;) That's ok, he said for every day that my little friend holds the passion at bay, just expect his barbill to soar. :rolleyes: Also glad to hear that the ships have supplies available for women. We're booked on some excursions - Stingray City in Grand Cayman, the Dolphin Experience in Cozumel - and I think I'm covered in both places (even on the Stingray City boat) for bathrooms, although God only knows what they'll be like. And I read somewhere that the Labadee bathrooms are actually clean.

And pd 9845 - Looks like I'll be getting over it just as you're starting. If you need to vent about it onboard, just come and find me!:o

NJ Reindeer:

Not to be crude, but with the Instead product, the nookie fest can go on as planned!

Travelgrrl

Question.....I have never used one of these and don't know if this is too voulger to ask but how do you put it in place? Do you do it or does a doctor have to?

Oh my gosh! I have never heard of this product. Thanks for sharing. ;)

I've found that if I take Alieve it goes away alot faster, but since I'm not a Dr. than make sure it's ok for you first. Good Luck.

I don't recommend Aleve to anyone because I had an allergic reaction on an airplane after taking two. it was scary to say the least.

My doctor has told me many times over that he can stop my period for vacations without any complications.

FYI - My daughter was suppose to start this Friday and we leave for our pre cruise stay (cruise on Sunday). She was not happy, Well, guess what? She started on this past Monday instead, so will be over it about the time we leave. Maybe the same will happen with you.

Archived