For Ladies Only! A question...

Hi ~

Keep in mind I am not a doctor ~ I saw that you bought Advil/Tylenol, and this concerned me...so I decided to share my years of wisdom on this topic with you.

Recognizing everyone is different.....when I use those products for my period...I find that the flow is much harder. The pain goes away for about 3 hours and then comes back, even more severe.

I highly recommend both the blue and pink Midol. The pink for 3-5 days before and the blue during. I also found that if I limit my carbohydrate intake a few days before and throughout and week I eat more red meat some of the discomfort is minimized. It is also very important (with me anyway) to limit the amount of soda and caffeinne I drink. I suffer from horrific periods and when I do all of theses things starting a few days before...my severity is minimized greatly!!!

Good luck and I hope it helps!!!

You guys - rather, gals - are all great. Who'da thought that we'd get so much good information and ideas just from my original whiny post!

Thanks for all of the Instead info. I had heard of this but always thought it would be extremely messy to deal with, but maybe not. I'm ordering the sample kit too. And if it allows the nookie-fest to go on as planned, I know our bar bills will go waaaaay down! :D

I am probably going to jinx myself now -- I am going through early menopause -- I'm only 42, but haven't had a period in over 6 months and have only had about 3 in the past year! I didn't even think about this occuring for me until I read this thread. So, I will just pray that my menopause continues!! My daughter informed me this week that she already has that under control -- she already counted on the calendar to make sure she wouldn't be in trouble!! :) Oh well, even if it does surprise me, it won't ruin my vacation!!!!

I Have Not Had A "visitor" For About 5 Years, Thank You Very Much. I Don't Miss And I Don't Feel Like Less Of A Woman. Before That, My Poor Husband Would Get A Calendar And Count From Usually January Or February To December, Which Is When We Like To Cruise. I Was Always On A Pill To Keep Me Regular And He Was Correct Everytime. Our Honeymoon In Panama City, Florida Was The Only Time Things Got Off Schedule. Since That's A Span Of 20 Years, I'd Say We Were Lucky.

lovingmom & winncove - Nice to see you on this thread too!

lovingmom (by the way, is your name Dolores? thought I saw that in your signature), it's funny, we're both the same age and you're going through menopause and I'm looking to start a family. I guess I shouldn't complain that I'm still on a regular schedule then. My cousin is 43, and she has a 20-year-old son and had a hysterectomy last year, but my closest girlfriend who's 42 has one-year-old twin girls. I guess we're all at different stages. I just know that DH and I will be thrilled if God blesses us with one happy, healthy baby one of these days!

It just occurred to me..... it's amazing how much info you get on these boards about people you don't even know!

And Del, I guess you're right -- if DH and I don't make it to the Meet and Mingle...... ;)

Lovingmom - I too went through early 'M'. It started at about age 42. I would go 6 months without and then WHAM!...I would have a big one. Then I went a whole year and BAM!...another big one. Now, my doctor has said I am post 'M' at 46. No period for a year this month. I pray that it will not hit me again next week on my cruise. I am taking a low does estrogen pill.

njreindeer - Good luck to you with your child bearing. I had all three of mine before the age of 30...2 1/2 and 4 years apart.

As for the Advil/Tylenol. I agree with bumbie2. Advil is like asprin and will make blood flow easier. I also find that if I am in pain and take something, that the pain comes back worse the next time.

Fortunately my visitor is pretty regular and I can mark the whole upcoming year to figure out when it will be here, so I always make sure that my vacations are free and clear!;)

I hope everything works out for you.

nj: Yes, my name is Dolores, and it is funny about our ages and the stages we are going through! But, I started my cycle early in the 6th grade which should have been 5th grade for me because I started school a year early in Canada -- I was one of the youngest ones in my graduating class! And, I started showing signs and symptoms of M at age 38 (night sweats, heavy periods, etc.) I started myself on a liquid nutritional vitamin about 2 years ago and the problems lessened tremendously.

As for you just starting your family....I will pray for you that God will bless you with a healthy baby! I also know someone that had a baby 8 years ago at age 41. So, it is not unusual! I just know that I would not be able to do it now -- in fact, I told my son I did not want any grandchildren for 15 more years!!!! :D

Well, on my last cruise I asked my gyno what to do because as luck would have it, you know what was due to occur. He said just keep taking the birth control pills instead of going off them for a week. I did that, and wouldn't you know, it didn't work. I still got the unwanted visitor. There were plenty of well supplied bathrooms, even in Domenica on port days so it didn't get in the way much at all. It will only ruin your cruise if you let it!

I just did the skip the week off oon the "patch" to get my cycle synched up for the cruise in Oct. Forwarning though, one you get yours again, you could have bad cramp b/c you haven't had your monthly in a while. This is what happened to me and it's rather painful. Good luck.

i am 52--still getting it once a month and for the past 15 years wear 3 pads for the first 3 days and then reg pad for the next 3 days---and always feel sick just as vac comes no matter when i book--i;m on time all year except vac week-------

Hi everyone, Just saw this topic in the main page(usually just hang out in the Carnival section) and just had to reply. Not to freak anyone out, but does anyone ever worry about sharks-like I do??(even if you are wearing a tampon??) My last(and only one so far) cruise- I ,of course, got it the morning of our flight. Lucky it was a quick one though!! I am not too worried, but I worry about my daughter who will be 13 1/2 when we cruise, that she will have gotten her periods by then-at least they have nice board shorts to wear should she need to!!

I work in a Medical Lab. so I am used to all sorts of body function talk!!Lol

Take care everyone and good luck and have fun on your cruises!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I'm so glad I found this post. But I'll be going through the same issue this month. I'll be on my first cruise and of course I'll have a vistor to.

I'm worried about doing water excursions and the sharks in the ocean.:(

Any body have any answers/suggestions about this??? :confused:

Women and sharks/ocean

Scared first time cruiser!!! Help!! :eek:

I'm very irregular! My only saving grace is that it usually only lasts for 3 days unless I've gone longer than 7 weeks between ea. curse, then the DOOZY hits and lasts at least 8 days with horrid cramps, headaches, the works! Yuk!

Before my brother was married, it would always arrive when I was visiting him. Guess who would be sent to the store for supplies! Yep... you got it! My brother would have to go to the store because I refused to come out of the bathroom until I had my needed supplies. I really do love to embarass the guy.

Aleve is my pain killer of choice

To answer your question if there is a pill or shot your doctor can give you, the answer is yes. I did this for a vacation we took a few years back. Mine was a pill and it prolonged it for about 2 weeks. My husband is in the military and my doctor was actually the one to tell me about it! So if the military is offering it then your doctor probably does too!

I did something similiar to this for my honeymoon. I'm on the pill. Instead of taking the "reminder" sugar pills(at the end of the month), I started a new pack of pills. This stopped my cycle for 1 week. Long enough to go on a cruise and come home. I didn't know there was a specific pill to delay your cycle. My method I'm sure isn't medically advised, so I would be careful doing it. Although I know people in college who did it on a regular basis.

I know but my grandmother has me freakin about this shark issue. Now, she has me seraching all over the internet for an answer. I did read a few articles about this, and I've had mixed answers. Some say YES it's ok and some say avoid being in the ocean.

Who knows? :confused:

Chuibaca,

You definetely brought up a good point regarding the sharks....

when I was reading your post though, it kinda made me laugh...just the whole concept and all.

That is a good question. I wouldn't want to mess with a shark and blood could attract sharks.

What about making sure you use a fresh tampon just before entering the water. I would think that would help along with staying in shallow water.

My only suggestions to women that are going to have their period during a cruise is to take some of those plastic grocery bags to wrap your tampon or pad in. Remember you are not the one empting the trash and NEVER flush your tampons or pads in these toliets.

Just my word of advice.

Archived