Restaurants in San Francisco...

cruzinchris

DH and I will spend a day in SF prior to our 1/25/07 Mexican Riviera cruise on the Dawn Princess. We will arrive from Detroit around noon and plan to spend some time sightseeing before dinner.

It's been a little more than 25 years since we've been to San Francisco, so there are likely many new restaurants with which we're not familiar. We specifically remember House of Prime Rib and Alioto's, both of which are still there.

If you live in SF or have recently visited there, what restaurants have you enjoyed and would recommend? TIA

Chris

DH and I will spend a day in SF prior to our 1/25/07 Mexican Riviera cruise on the Dawn Princess. We will arrive from Detroit around noon and plan to spend some time sightseeing before dinner.

It's been a little more than 25 years since we've been to San Francisco, so there are likely many new restaurants with which we're not familiar. We specifically remember House of Prime Rib and Alioto's, both of which are still there.

If you live in SF or have recently visited there, what restaurants have you enjoyed and would recommend? TIA

Chris

If your'e going to stay around Fisherman's Wharf I highly recommend "Scomas" (best food on the wharf IMO.) "Tadich Grill" (240 California St.) is also good. House of Prime Rib is still going strong.

Enjoy the city,

Dave

House of Prime Rib is still going strong. Enjoy the city, Dave

Thanks, Dave.

We've been considering Harris' Steakhouse. Would you recommend House of Prime Rib over this?

Also, have you been to Fior d'Italia? If so, would you recommend it?

We are staying at Courtyard (Mariott) Fisherman's Wharf. We don't mind taking a taxi to a fine restaurant.

Will read some reviews on your recommendations. Again, thanks.

Chris

Gary Danko -- within walking distance. No views etc. but very high rating and very high prices. I think it made the just released (first one) SF Michelin Guide.

Boulevard -- also made the Michelin Guide. Near the Ferry Building. Again no view -- but high rating. /Sultan

Thanks, Dave.

We are staying at Courtyard (Mariott) Fisherman's Wharf. We don't mind taking a taxi to a fine restaurant.

Chris

HI chris,

We lived in SF for over 4 yrs - but had to move 3 years ago. We did eat out a lot. House of Prime Rib - very good. Scomas - only Fishermans wharf place I like.

My favorites - Boulevard, Harris Ranch, H of Prime Rib -Jardiniere and Rubicon - my favs for 'traditional dining.'

Aqua or Farallon (great decor) for seafood.

Slanted Door or Betelnut - asian fusion. Harrys Hunan - cheap chinese.

Have been to Gary Dankos and Masas - very expensive upscale.

Fleur de Lis - very romantic and expensive.

Never made it to The Fifth Floor.

Don't know if they are still there but a couple of local small bistros on Polk St. Street and Spoon. Also on Polk - La Folie for French.

Archived