Cost of cocktail enjoyment aboard X?

ltsally

A line from another thread on this board about "alcohol policies" -

I like Celebrities policies. I like that drinks are expensive because it does discourage outrageous behavior.

We have not sailed on celebrity before. I'm poring over this board now because a trans-Atlantic sailing on Constellation next April (Ft. L to S'hampton and then Dublin) really caught my eye.

So that line really made me wonder about what we could expect to pay to enjoy several drinks a night - not wine. Anyone here who can provide approximate cost of, say, a martini (a real martini - i.e., gin and vermouth :rolleyes: ), a Johnnie Walker Red scotch, and a Guinness?

As for the 'why' of not allowing liquor to be brought aboard, it doesn't take experience with Celebrity or any other line to know that the answer is all about profit and has little to do with pax safety. Or...why is it that the premium lines -- Silversea, Seabourn and Regent, all provide in-room liquor at no additional cost?

Anyway, would really appreciate getting some idea of what kind of bar bill a person should anticipate. Thanks!!

I am bringing our 2 "travel" martini shakers with us. We ordered a Celebrity bon voyage package featuring our favorites (Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire). We just need to get some vermouth, glassware and olives (room service, or butler, maybe?). Although expensive, oz for oz, it results in significant savings AND convenience. Just an option, but worth checking into.

Other cocktails are served in the smaller glasses, and a Manhattan this spring was only about $6. + tip. A bourbon and soda water was about the same. Those $10. martinis are quite large, and one was a lovely amount before dinner...two, and, for some reason, the ship started to rock a little more!;)

My bar bills are fairly consistant from line to line, with the exception that Cunard and Crystal had more expensive wines in the dining room, but it didn't make THAT much difference. My average is $100. per day for EVERYTHING- shore excursions, ship souvenirs, drinks, wine, photos, spa treatments, etc. (I don't do everything everyday, obviously, but you get the idea...)

Andrew

Target (and I'm sure a lot of other similar places) sell supposedly unbreakable plastic containers with twist-off lids. Different sizes, up to about a quart. We pack our own martini fixings, along with a container of rum. When we run out, we re-fill in port.

I know this will bother some fellow cruisers, but we're still buying a bottle of wine at dinner each night and having a drink or two by the pool most days.

celebrity posts the following on their site:

Alcoholic beverage prices:

• Aperitifs: $5.50
  • Standard alcohol: $5.50 and up
  • Premium alcohol: $5.75 and up
  • Cocktails: $4.95 and up
  • Wine glass: $5.95 and up
  • Champagne glass: $6.95 and up
  • Domestic beer: $4.50
  • Imported beer: $4.50 and up

Non-Alcoholic Beverage prices:

• Soft drink (glass): $1.25