suite - priority dining room seating?

sandiego1

My current TA neglected to reserve my chosen dinner time w/ HAL for Feb cruise. Now we're stuck w/ our last choice (8:30) and my TA told me the other options were "sold-out". 8:30 is way too late for my in-laws to first sit down to dinner. I hate to think we'll miss eating in the formal dining room and will have to eat in the Lido each night. I love the atmosphere of "formal" dining.

My old-TA (she wasn't avail to book this trip for us) told me that if you are in a suite, then HAL gives you priority dining time selection. We are in a suite, but my in-laws are not.

Is this true? If so, can I call HAL and request that they shift us (and hopefully, my in-laws) to another time? Or do I need to go through my current TA?

Or should I just wait until we are on board and plead my case to the maitre d? Last Feb, our cruise docs listed an early dinner, but when we checked in at the port, we were given the 8:30 slot. I argued that my HAL docs had the earlier time listed, but to no avail. I tried again w/ the Concierge in the Neptune. She sent us to the Maitre D who, very grudgingly, moved us to the earlier time. I had to plead to him and told him that my in-laws had been up since 4AM to catch their flight and would be sound asleep by 8:30PM. We had to switch tables on the 2nd night, but at least we were eating at an earlier time.

Suites normally have their choice of dining time but not necessarily table. Your TA should be handling this for you. You would be wise to have it settled prior to arriving at the ship when it will be harder. Have your TA call Ships Services, point out you are in a Suite and what dining time you wish. Make sure she gets the change confirmed in writing.

Ships Services 800 -541-1576

Make sure your TA 'links' your reservation with your in-laws and say you all require to be seated together.

I has a similiar thing happen a long time ago. The dining request was on my reservation docs but not on the cruise documents. It had us waitlisted. The cruise was booked at least 10 months out. The TA called Hal and we had a 3 way conversation and the problem was fixed.

I wouldn't wait. Get it handled now.

I wasn't sure if suite guests had any "priority" on dining requests so I didn't want to be asking for something I shouldn't "normally" get. Now that I know it's possible for a suite to specifically request a dining time (don't care that much about actual table), I'll call the TA and have her call Ship Services.

Last time, I did have in writing on both the rez docs AND HAL cruise docs that showed the earlier seating. But upon check-in, they assigned us to the later slot. So, I'm not that optimistic that they'll follow through. But at least if I show the Maitre D something in writing from HAL, I'll probably have a better shot.

It doesn't matter what type of accomodation you're in if you ask nicely.

Don't be obnoxious and pushy, and your request will be honored.

Not necessarily will the request be honored ... no matter how nice the OP is. Sometimes there are just not enough available tables to honor all requests, no matter how much the Matri 'd may want to honor them.

That's why ... in addition to being nice ... the OP should ensure that HAL knows he is in a suite. Suite passengers do have priority on seating requests ... and in the case where the Matri 'd has maybe 100 requests for early seating and only 20 tables available, being in that suite will ensure the OP is one of the lucky souls occupying a table in early seating.

So definitely make sure your TA mentions it to HAL when they call.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I just called my TA to switch my dining time from 8:30 to 8:00. She called Ship Services. I was told that HAL moved us to 6:15 because they have a huge church group on this ship and they have reserved all of the 8:00 and 8:30 dining slots. The church group was so large that they almost had enough people to charter the entire ship.

I'm not happy about not getting my preferred dining slot. I also have concerns about going on a ship w/ so many people from 1 organization (regardless of type of organization). They will likely have lots of private parties and block off entire areas of the ship for their exclusive use. Has anyone else had any experience w/ this? Do I have any cause for concern?

This really surprises me!

Our upcoming HAL cruise leaves San Diego this coming Saturday. We are in a Deluxe Verandah Suite - and were booked for the 8:30 seating. My In-Laws are booked in an outside room. We ALL need to be switched to an early (6ish) seating as well. But, in the past we've ALWAYS just gone to the Matre' di right after arriving...and it has been fixed - 100% of the time. I haven't been at all worried - I just planned to go to the Matre' di as soon as we arrive. What I've noticed is they have a harder time switching people who insist on being at a table for two or something. We enjoy a big friendly table.

And this is our 22nd cruise. All different lines...but this will be our 3rd on HAL.

I just called my TA to switch my dining time from 8:30 to 8:00. She called Ship Services. I was told that HAL moved us to 6:15 because they have a huge church group on this ship and they have reserved all of the 8:00 and 8:30 dining slots. The church group was so large that they almost had enough people to charter the entire ship.

I'm not happy about not getting my preferred dining slot. I also have concerns about going on a ship w/ so many people from 1 organization (regardless of type of organization). They will likely have lots of private parties and block off entire areas of the ship for their exclusive use. Has anyone else had any experience w/ this? Do I have any cause for concern?

I'd love to know which church group this is. That's a lot of people! Normally church groups aren't anywhere near big enough to charter anything but the smallest of a ship.

But, I hate to say this ... but hopefully, the church group will get some more reservations ... and HAL will give them the ship as a charter for your cruise ... bumping all the other passengers, including yourself, off. It may very well happen ... it has in the past.

No one wants to sail with a special interest group that big cause you'd better believe, losing your preferred dining time isn't gonna be the half of it. You'll lose use of lounges on certain nights, may not have a show on others ... because the church group will have their own entertainers performing, may not be able to access the Lido deck for sailaway ... may have to wait to board tenders until the church group gets off the ship because maybe they have a group excursion and HAL needs to get them all off first. Hate to tell you, but at this point, all you can do is grin and bear it ... and hope against hope that the church group gets another couple of hundred last minute requests to join the cruise, and HAL just decides to make it a full ship charter for them.

Any chance your TA can "negotiate" with HAL to move you without penalty to another sailing? Maybe HAL can really use your cabin for some more last minute bookings of the church group and will gladly let you switch.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived