Is it awkward to dine alone as a solo cruiser?

molaurie

I'll be taking my first cruise in a month and a half, and have been wondering if I can sit at a table alone in the restaurants, or do they put you with others? It's Dawn Princess, where they have "anytime" dining. Has anyone had experience with this? Do they automatically expect you to want to sit with others and think it's strange if you would be just as happy-or actually prefer-to dine alone? And is it awkward if you are sitting alone? In that case, I think I'll opt for the buffet or pizza restaurant every night! I'm just not too thrilled about making small talk with strangers. Thanks!

i dined alone and felt a bit uneasy but too bad, i didnt want to sit with others either. and i preferred to be waited on than go to the buffett. for me, the buffet is only for when you want a quick meal ( or maybe a second meal later or earlier, lol)

when any party arrives at the restaurant, the hostess/host will ask you if you want to share. just politely say no and ask for your own table.

it is no problem at all! but sometimes, it can cause you a longer wait. i never had a problem on my 10 day cruise on NCL.

i can't speak for Princess, because when i sailed Princess, i was with my sisters, and always ate with them.

i dont like to read at a meal, but it can be a good time to write your postcards and such, to keep yourself occupied.

I am in agreement with California Dreamer.

I love to meet new people and enjoy dining with them, but sometimes after a long day of touring, I just need some down time at dinner.

For years I thought that meant shuffling off to the buffet or pizza by the pool, but now I realize that it is really nice to have a nice dinner in an elegant setting, even if it is dining solo. (Not to mention, I love being on deck, and don't always want to spend two hours in the dining room -and dining solo can be as fast or as slow as you like).

I dine solo often in New York (my hometown) and never think twice about it, so why not on a cruise? But like California Dreamer suggests, it may feel less awkward if you have something with you to keep you occupied. As for me, I keep a travel journal and this is a perfect time to update it with the events of the day.

Happy Sailing!

Jeana :)

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the others that dining alone on a ship isn't a problem for the ship to arrange. I just returned from a 12-night cruise and dining on my own all but two nights, however, I dined in the specialty restaurant when I dined alone. I liked the more intimate feel and less rushed service. I don't take anything to read or do during dinner, just zone out and enjoy the food which explains why I gained weight! :mad:

Enjoy your cruise!

I guess I'm weird but I love sitting with others and making new friends. I just feel too lonely if I have to sit alone. I love talking with people, hearing about their previous trips and just talking with people. Yes, I can understand if you've been out on a long shore excursion and want to dine alone, but for me, I would go nuts eating alone every night.

I figure that, when I cruise solo, I dine 1/2 the time on my own. I really enjoy traditional seating in the evening on a cruise ship most of the time. If I'm not crazy about my table, I'd probably just drift off to an alternate place to have dinner.

Years ago, I cruised on NCL Sea when freestyle cruising was just begining. To me, that system is a lot of work for the solo cruiser. I found it easier and more enjoyable to just head up to the lido areas for most of my dinners.

I just tend to go with the flow when I cruise solo. I hope for an enjoyable table for evening meals but, if its not meant to be, I just dine on my own.

Faith

I guess I'm weird but I love sitting with others and making new friends. I just feel too lonely if I have to sit alone. I love talking with people, hearing about their previous trips and just talking with people. Yes, I can understand if you've been out on a long shore excursion and want to dine alone, but for me, I would go nuts eating alone every night.

Nothing weird about wanting to meet and enjoy others company, I like that too. But after a day spent in the company of others I enjoy having a little down time just for me, which is also one of the reasons I enjoy solo travel. The great part about cruising is that whatever your preference it can be done!

Happy cruising to all!

• 1 month later...
I'll be taking my first cruise in a month and a half, and have been wondering if I can sit at a table alone in the restaurants, or do they put you with others? It's Dawn Princess, where they have "anytime" dining. Has anyone had experience with this? Do they automatically expect you to want to sit with others and think it's strange if you would be just as happy-or actually prefer-to dine alone? And is it awkward if you are sitting alone? In that case, I think I'll opt for the buffet or pizza restaurant every night! I'm just not too thrilled about making small talk with strangers. Thanks!

You don't have to opt for "anytime dining." You can selected fixed traditional instead. In that case, they will assign you to a table with other folks, and they will be your dinner companions for the entire cruise. Also, many of the cruise lines will try to seat singles and solos at the same table ... thus increasing your chances of making new friends onboard. If you go "anytime" dining, however, you won't dine with the same people every night, and thus it is more difficult to meet people.

I suppose you could opt to eat by yourself in the "anytime" dining room, but I would imagine your wait for a table will be much longer since those two-tops are very popular with couples, and that is where you would have to sit.

Personally, I prefer cruising on a line that has traditional type dining because it allows me to meet a group of people that I will see at least at dinnertime every night of the cruise. And, who knows, if you hit it off with some of them, you might even have someone to take a few shore excursions with or do some activities around the ship with. With "anytime" dining, you don't have the chance to form those friendships since you only see the same group for dinner one evening and then tomorrow night it's another group.

Blue skies ...

--rita

<<You don't have to opt for "anytime dining." You can selected fixed traditional instead. In that case, they will assign you to a table with other folks, and they will be your dinner companions for the entire cruise.>>

I respectfully disagree with the above. I just returned from an eleven-night cruise on the Norwegian Dawn, and I must say that, from the viewpoint of a solo cruiser, I was very disappointed with "freestyle cruising." I was NOT given the above option of "fixed traditional." I was NOT given the option of being assigned to a table with others who also desired "fixed traditional." While the NCL employees assured me over the phone before my cruise that there would be no problem in sharing a table with others, that proved not to be the case once I boarded the ship.

When I asked about sharing a table, sometimes the hostess looked at me as if I had three heads and cautiously said that if others desired to share a table with me, it could be arranged, but from the way she acted, it seemed as if no one had ever suggested to her before that he/she would like to share a table. So I would stand on the side and watch as other people came into the dining room to be seated. When they were asked if they wanted to share a table, most of the time, they stared at the hostess as if SHE had three heads and said "No!" They were so happy that with "freestyle," they didn't have to share a table with pesky strangers anymore, so why on earth should they want to share a table when they didn't have to?

Other times, when I asked about sharing a table, the hostess would seat me and say she would ask others if they wanted to sit with me. However, as soon as I sat down, the dining room stewards saw that I was alone, and they promptly cleared all of the other place setttings off the table. And no one ever showed up to sit with me.

What's really funny is that several times, when I went into the dining room with other people to have a meal, the hostess would ask us if we wanted to share a table. I have no idea why it didn't work out when I was by myself.

It didn't especially bother me, because I always brought a book with me, but I can see that it would bother others, especially if they really didn't like eating alone and were falsely encouraged by the NCL employees that sharing a table was never a problem and was done all the time.

I didn't like eating at the buffet by myself, because if you're at the buffet by yourself, and after you sit down, you realize that you forgot to get a spoon, or you want another glass of water or cup of tea or something, you're screwed. You can't get up and get it for yourself, or else your food will be gone by the time you get back to your table. At least, in the dining room, if you need another spoon, glass of water, or cup of tea, you can get it without leaving your food unattended.

<<You don't have to opt for "anytime dining." You can selected fixed traditional instead. In that case, they will assign you to a table with other folks, and they will be your dinner companions for the entire cruise.>>

I respectfully disagree with the above. I just returned from an eleven-night cruise on the Norwegian Dawn, and I must say that, from the viewpoint of a solo cruiser, I was very disappointed with "freestyle cruising."

Okay, but you're talking a different cruise line. Norwegian Cruise Line has "freestyle" dining ... no other options. The poster I was responding to was referring to the Dawn Princess, I believe ... a Princess ship that has both traditional and "anytime" dining options available.

I agree with you regarding NCL ... I would never sail that line unless I had a traveling companion. You could very well end up eating alone if others were all in groups and had their tables full.

To me, Norwegian Cruise Line seems to discourage single travelers very much. First of all, their single supplements are 200%. So, if you're gonna pay that, you might as well just bring a friend along and treat them if necessary. Second is the "freestyle" dining. Makes it very, very difficult for a solo cruiser to meet people onboard. Even if you are lucky enough to be seated at larger tables with other groups, you're not gonna really get to know anyone because come the next night, you'll be sitting with an entirely different group ... or alone. Not my cup of tea at all.

Blue skies ...

--rita

When I asked about sharing a table, sometimes the hostess looked at me as if I had three heads and cautiously said that if others desired to share a table with me, it could be arranged, but from the way she acted, it seemed as if no one had ever suggested to her before that he/she would like to share a table.

What happened, though, with groups of two that came into the dining room? Surely they didn't have enough two-top tables to accommodate everyone? I would assume that smaller groups would be put at a large table with other couples ... sort of how other cruise lines do things at lunch and breakfast in the dining room ... and a solo could simply be shown to that large table. They don't do that on NCL? What? Are all the tables two-tops?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Most of the year, I go into a restaurant and say "table for one please". BUT on a cruise it's SO wonderful to have friends awaiting my arrival. As a solo cruiser I beg to be seated with friends I haven't met yet.

Sitting alone for dinner is probably going to make you self-conscious. If you insist on it I suppose the Head Waiter could sit you at a table for two all alone. Maybe another single could share with you. Good luck, and have a good time......who cares what others think. enjoy !!

I want to apologize for confusing the cruiseline (Princess) with which the original poster had booked a cruise and NCL, which offers only "freestyle cruising."

<<What happened, though, with groups of two that came into the dining room? Surely they didn't have enough two-top tables to accommodate everyone? I would assume that smaller groups would be put at a large table with other couples ... sort of how other cruise lines do things at lunch and breakfast in the dining room ... and a solo could simply be shown to that large table. They don't do that on NCL? What? Are all the tables two-tops?>>

Yes, practically every single table in the three main dining rooms was a two-top or a four-top. There were very few tables for eight people. That was because with "freestyle crusing," people don't have to eat with pesky strangers anymore, and that's the way that most people like it, so NCL has filled the dining rooms with small tables.

I was specifically told that I could not be put at a table for eight and wait for strangers who would want to eat with me to show up, because it might take hours, if it happened at all, for seven strangers to show up at that dining room and say, "We don't want to eat alone/with just my companion. We want to eat with strangers!" I previously said that there were times that I entered the dining room with others, planning to eat with them, and we were asked if we wanted to share a table. However, at those times, it was somewhat late, and maybe that's why they started to run out of tables.

One time, after the hostess told me that she would be on the lookout for people coming into the dining room who wouldn't mind eating with a stranger, I was seated at a table for four, and the other three place settings were promptly taken off the table. And then the dining room steward asked me, "Where's the rest of your party?" I was somewhat annoyed and said, "There is no REST of my party. I am alone. Is that all right?" She said that it was all right. I was willing to bet that she never asked a couple, "Where is the rest of your party?" Two is the magic number, you know.

I went on a solo cruise 6 weeks ago . I had two people at the table the first 2 nights and the last two nights I dined alone.

I did not like it at all. I felt like people were all looking at me. I had to look stupid sitting at a table set for 6 and being by myself.

I think I should have been put at another table to join other people.

If that happened again I guess to avoid it I would go to the deck and eat.

I think part of the enjoyment of the cruise is dressing nice and dining .

I hurried with the meal because I felt so uncomfortable so I didn't enjoy the meal either.

I wrote Carnival a letter and told them I felt that I should have been at least offered to be seated else where.

I received a letter with a apology . They said to let them know when my next cruise will be and they will have a gift waiting for me .

I thought that was nice of them but it did effect my dining experience of my first solo cruise.

Not to much in a hurry to book another one.

That was only my second cruise so everything was new to me.

If I had to do it all over again I would have said something on the first night that I would like to join another table .

I live alone and eat alone every night of the week. I don't go on a cruise to eat alone.

One of the first things I do before the ship even leaves the dock is check out my dining seating. I do NOT mind dining alone, in fact, I rather enjoy it. I have been placed at large tables where noone showed up and had no problem. I have also requested being changed to a table for two and I usually get excellent seating. The last cruise I was placed at the window and watched the sun setting each evening. When you go solo, you have to be comfortable with yourself. I don't think it matters whether or not people are looking at me. If they are watching me, then they really aren't enjoying the company they are keeping, are they? Who cares anyhow what people think? Vacation is vacation. To each their own.:)

I am cruising solo in February.. I enjoy the dining room and hope to share a large table...but I really enjoy the specialty restuarants on RCCL also.... will they accomodate a table for me to eat alone, does any one know in Chops or Portofino's

The last time I sailed with RCCL, they didn't have any specialty restaurants, but I would assume that if those restaurants require a reservation, you would wind up eating alone, unless, of course, you met someone on the ship and the two of you decided to eat in Chops or Portofino's together. But maybe you're saying that you think they might not accept your reservation request, since you are just one person. I honestly don't know what their policy is, and I suggest that you call them, and hopefully, they will tell you the truth, unlike NCL, who just told me what they thought I wanted to hear.

I never worried about people staring at me while I ate alone. I was just annoyed that the NCL people all told me on the phone before my cruise NO PROBLEM, of course you'll be able to sit with strangers, and then I found out that lots of people sail with NCL to avoid having to sit with pesky strangers.

You just never know when it comes to dining rooms on a cruiseship. On one cruise that I was on, I heard of a table for eight that consisted of seven people in one family, and the eighth person was someone traveling solo. People said that the Maitre d' never should have put the solo person with the seven people. I figured that just never occurred to the Maitre d'. He just saw a group of seven people, and said to himself, "What luck! I'll just put Jack Smith, who is alone, with them, and there won't be an empty chair to worry about."

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the posts here, I finally had to log in and offer my very positive experience recently aboard Crown Princess. When I originally booked this solo cruise, I jumped at the "anytime dining" option. All my previous cruises had traditional seating, which was fine -- but I had not been travelling solo then. Now, many years later and cruising solo for the first time, I had trepidations about possibly being "stuck" with incompatible traditional-seating dining companions for a 9-day cruise because I would be reticent about changing. Two months before sailing I got cold feet and decided to change to traditional seating and got waitlisted. By the time of the cruise I was nowhere near the top of the waitlist, so I made the best of anytime dining -- and it was absolutely delightful. I, too, dine alone every night so I'm comfortable with also doing so on a cruise. You might practice dining alone and table sharing at lunch during seadays. Either way, you have to make the effort to join in or initiate conversation: tell the person next to you that their meal looks delicious, or ask how their meal is; ask where they're from, have they cruised before; ask about their shore excursions (worse yet, ask about their children!). People love to talk about themselves and if you listen, you'll find some commonality. I dined alone at lunch (when I did my journalling), and for dinner once in the specialty restaurant (which was fabulous and where they treated me like royalty!). I never felt self-conscious about it. For the 1 or 2 nights initially when I went into the dining rooms, the maitre'd asked if I'd mind sharing or would I prefer dining alone. I opted for "sharing" and wasn't sorry. On the first occasion, I was the first seated at a table for eight and the maitre'd quickly sat others (singles and couples) at the same table. On the second occasion, I joined others already seated. Someone always breaks the ice by introducing themselves; the introductions go around the table -- and suddenly everyone is busy chatting. I met some lovely people with whom I dined the rest of the week, and have been corresponding with them since. And if you don't happen to be compatible with one evening's dinner companions, there's always the next night, and the next, and the next . . . I don't know if this is an experience limited to Princess, but I found them to have the seating situation well in hand and very accommodating to my own comfort and wants; I never had to wait to be seated because I was alone, and they never made me feel self-conscious about being solo (being seated alone at a table for 8 while they remove all the other place settings would make me feel like running for the hills!). I might also add (before you even ask) that I am normally rather shy and uncomfortable with strangers. I opted not to do buffet dining because of the norovirus issue, but I did do buffet on the day of embarkation and found that you had little chance of being seated alone there because the tables seemed even larger than in the regular dining rooms; the food was delicious but the ambience was like a YMCA cafeteria -- and I graduated from that many moons ago! Although I didn't try it, if you're really uncomfortable and self-conscious about dining alone, with anytime dining you could either dine very early (5:30) or very late (10-ish); in any event, avoid the prime time "couples" period (7-8:30) to minimize feeling solo self-conscious. Hope this helps.

Archived