March or November?

kala4

We are trying to decide which time to take our children on a cruise. The pros for March (spring break) is that they won't have to miss school and there should be plenty of other children on board. The con is that it costs a lot more. If we go the first week in November it costs less, but we are afraid that there won't be enough children to make the youth programs fun. Anyone have experience or opinions on this subject? Thanks.

-Where are you going and is there a weather difference?

-Does your school have a policy that might influence your decision?(Most schools consider a vacation to be unexcused and discourage this sort of choice, some even lower grades for missed work or limit after school activity participation-attendance is part of No Child Left Behind legislation)

-There will most likely be some children on board in November, but if there are too few, the programs can be reduced or cut back. You never know what any individual week will be like; the only generality is that March will have more children than November. But by exactly how much is entirely unknown until you get on the ship.

Even in November you will probably find other kids. If you can work something out with their school and the price is right go for November. It is a great time to cruise, the ships are not crowded and as you said, the prices are lower. Even without zillions of young people, if you choose a cruise line that is port intensive they will stay plenty busy. NMnita

I love to cruise in November .. but one of the big reasons I do is that there are so few kids on board and somehow those that are allowed to cruise during the school year are kept under better control by the parents. I would worry about how much fun a child would have at that time of year because it is noticiably ( that just can't be spelled right ) less child poplulated.

We are trying to decide which time to take our children on a cruise. The pros for March (spring break) is that they won't have to miss school and there should be plenty of other children on board. The con is that it costs a lot more. If we go the first week in November it costs less, but we are afraid that there won't be enough children to make the youth programs fun. Anyone have experience or opinions on this subject? Thanks.

Where do want to go and what do you want to do ? :confused: The reason the cost is less in Nov at what you are looking at is probably because of weather (I am assuming the Caribbean because you are in Texas). You need to think about the Hurricane factor - willing to risk it that the cruise may be cancelled, diverted, shortened, ?? It happens.

I have cruised in both months numerous times - started cruising in March back in college as spring break and just continued it until one year when I also cruised in November. I decided that I preferred cruising in November and now continue to. Yes, the prices are lower and yes the ports are a bit less crowded. There are fewer kids on board - which is a plus for me, but there are still plenty of them and they all always seem to be having fun. (I like to cruise at the very end of October/first week of November so for Halloween they always have a kids parade, costumes, etc and they look like they're having a blast.)

November is the end of hurricane season and I suppose that's a chance we take. I have been on cruises where the itinerary got changed by an island but never shortened. Cruising in March if the weather is bad in the east it backs up the airports and the ship gets delayed in leaving - that has happened to me a lot. (Since you are flying from Texas I guess it doesn't matter to you.) The biggest advantage to not cruising in March is no college spring breakers. They can become very loud and obnoxious on a cruise ship. It's their vacation as well and it's nice that they are having fun but I prefer to sail without hundreds of them.

To each his own and no matter what you decide I’m sure you and your family will have a great time!

It can also depend on what cruiseline you are looking at. If you are looking at a 7-night Caribbean cruise (or shorter) on one of the lines like Carnival or RCCL which cater to families, then you have a great likelihood of there still being plenty of kids onboard.

Hi. I always choose to cruise in November with my children for a number of reasons: price, price, price, did I mention price:rolleyes: The weekend after Thanksgiving going into the first week of December can be very inexpensive. Never had a problem with lack of children in the clubs, yet never had a problem feeling inundated with kids everywhere either. Another good reason: it's past hurricane season and I've always made it part of their Xmas present, by presenting them with gift certificates for excursions I know they will love, spending money for arcades, and most often a pre-cruise in Orlando for the parks. If you go just after Thanksgiving the ships are decorated beautifully and you really get into the Holiday spirit. One other major plus: no cooking Thanksgiving dinner if you time it right -- you can eat out at some of the best, we've had dinner at Mithos at Universal, Emerils at Citywalk, etc.:D Whatever you decide, the kids will have fun! We always do.

This year though, the chitlens are getting left behind -- can't afford the airfare to HNL for them and the Hawaiian Islands are just expensive however you look at it.

We've cruised Thanksgiving week with our daughter several times. She only missed two days of school that way, and most of the teachers didn't cover much while she was away. It's a great time to be in the Caribbean--we never ran into bad weather at all.

Archived