Galaxy refurbish or dry dock??

sailorgirl

Is it planned? We are booked on Galaxy to cross The Pond and then do the Greek Islands next May for three weeks. We're in a Sky Suite on Deck 12. The last two reviews I read for Galaxy were awful and I'm having second thoughts. Are any improvements underway or is this ship going to remain the Stepchild of the Fleet?

I am considering the Galaxy, but am very concerned about the condition of the ship. My understanding is that some things have been in dire need of repair for years. The last thing I have heard is that the Galaxy will continue as is. Maybe the plan is to replace it with one of the new ships sometime down the road.

Sailorgirl You are going through the same turmoil as I am. One minute great reviews for Galaxy the next the ship is fit only for scrap. I have expressed concern in these boards several times. Each time being reassured that everything is just fine. I keep promising my hubby I wont read anymore reviews. He never knows what the state of play is from one day to the next.

I am on the same trip in 1210 which I am assured is a fab location with a wonderful verandah. I'm sticking with it and will make my own judgements.

There does not seem to be any drydock or refurbishment scheduled for 2007 - there's no large-enough gap in her schedule. That's not to say that ongoing maintenance work isn't/won't be done, it will (of course).

Galaxy is a 10 year-old ship and does not have the extras that the M-class ships has: the additional restaurants, for example, or the Cirque shows, and there are fewer balcony cabins. But no pods, either...! Being 10 years old she is not shiny & new; if you look, you will find find evidence of wear. But not, in my experience, of tear: when I was on her in June, everything that I encountered worked and everything was clean. And of course the Celebrity attributes of excellent service and fine cuisine were fully in attendance. We were enjoyed our cruise sufficiently that we have booked for next summer on Galaxy.

Here's the URL for a review I did:

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Galaxy.htm

My husband and I are easy going and good natured so who cares about a little wear and tear, the ship showing its age. We might show some wear and tear! But when I read that the gym equipment is in ill repair and the spa wasn't working, and someone's bedding didn't get changed in 11 days, well, then I began to be really concerned. Food is also important to us and I guess that remains pretty good. And, we have a terrific cabin location. That's the good news. Still hoping for more input. The itinerary is what sold us otherwise I'd be looking at other ships. Judyush, are you going all the way - San Juan to Greek Islands?

I have to agree with tom_uk. Galaxy lacks the glitz and is not shiny, bright and new. If you are accustomed to sailing M-class, this may not be the ship for you.

Galaxy does however have excellent service staff and wonderful food. Our family had 2 Sky Suites on Deck 12 and had absolutely no trouble with our cabins, bedding, cabin steward or butler.

Our family of ten is sailing her again this year for the itinerary she offers. Never for a minute did we hesitate booking the Galaxy.

Maybe if you look through my photos of the ship it would give you an idea of what to expect. Good luck on your decision.

We sailed the Galaxy last month and indeed the ship doesn't look new anymore but we simply still love her.

Our opinion (age 27 and 28 and like the traditional way of cruising) :

positive

- very good atmosphere and ambiance

- excellent service (Celebrity standards)

- very FRIENDLY crew

- cabin was clean and looked really..well...updated

- bed was good and everything inside the cabin was up and running

- spaceratio is perfect for this size of ships

- a lot of free deckspace at seadays

- it's a ship with a maritime look, not like the modern vessels (a big plus)

- interior of the ship was very well maintained and we really didn't see any wear or tear

- we loved the interior and especcially the artwork, diningroom and theater

- a lot of nice shops

- well organized (tours, (dis)embarkation, tendering etc.)

- etc. etc. etc...the Galaxy and itinerary stole our hart!

Negative (see it as 'not so good' or 'this could be better but didn't ruin anything')

- a ship with a good character, but therefore maybe not the best choice for first timers

- the AFT was sometimes very rocky and noisy due to the engines, ship not as stable as a modern big megaliner

- pooldeck really needs a new deckfloor, it's almost gone!

- the white chairs and tables at the outside decks are too old (pooldeckchairs with thick pillows are oke)

- inside pool shows her age, not to compare with the newer Celebrity or RCCL ships

- balcony furniture looked pretty basic and dirty

- whirlpools were out of order during the whole cruise (maintenance could be better in this way)

- Hermisphere lounge had some foggy windows, but enough clear windows to enjoy the view

We loved this ship and yes, we cruised the huge newest vessels too. It's not a dirty and shabby ship, she's elegant, well maintained, has a reliable reputation and recommend this ship to people who like traditional way of cruising and love to be pampered. This ship isn't the place to be for teenagers, the ambiance is very laidback. For us it was one of our best cruises so far. Thanks to the itinerary, the crew and the one I fell in love with...no not my girlfriend, but the Galaxy :D

Don't hate her... ;) You'll love her...I know for sure!!

I have been planning a cruise to Europe next year too. While I like the Galaxy itinerary, I am concerned about going on an older ship. I have been on over 35 cruises and am an Elite member on Celebrity. But I was on the Mercury last April and while I had a nice time, the ship was trashed. And not because of those bleach cruises before I went.

Our matress was virtually unusable. It took my complaining to the front desk and 3 mattress pads to get it somewhat usable. The cabin needed work. The chair leg was bent and the chair wobbled. Carpet was old and tattered. The desk and sink had numerous cigarette burns. The bed spread was so bad we just had it removed.

The carpets and furniture in common areas were contantly being repaired. The wooden floors in the elevators were being refinished every day and the halls smelled of varnish. The dining room chairs were in a poor state. Etc etc.

So I called Celebrity and they said Galaxy will not have a major dry dock until 2008. So I won't go in 2007. Instead I am looking at the Millennium or Brilliance on RCCL. You can also look at the redone Century.

I'm not promoting Celebrity and this is just an opinion from our last cruise onboard the Galaxy, but the ship was clean and well maintained, no trash at all. Ok, sometimes people leave their food behind at the pooldeck and it cost app. 5 minutes that a waiter remove the plate. But this is not the same as a trashed ship.

The matresses were really good and I think all people have another experience. People complaining about matresses at even new ships, this is very personal.

The carpet in the stateroom looked really new. Do you see the differences between our experiences and the ships?

There was nothing wrong with the dining room chairs, they were really ok.

Ok, some wood was being varnished, but I think this is the way to keep the ship in good condition. Daily maintainance is important. The smell was not bad at all :D

If the itinerary is perfect for you and the ship is the Galaxy, don't hesitate and book. It's a 'OK' ship, not shabby and can wait one year beforing going into drydock.

If I love that ship, I'm sure you'll love her too! I'm 27 years old and used to be a big ship lover (RCCL/Celebrity), but the Galaxy is really ok.

Sheikh said:

We sailed the Galaxy last month

Which itinerary did you do? 'Best of the Med' or the 11-night that includes Istanbul?

We did the 10-nighter, and loved it. One of the things I remember was the ship really racing to Mykonos; at dinner the night before she was really shakin'! But the result was that we got to Mykonos at just after 10am instead of noon and were able to dock instead of having to tender. Excellent!

We've booked for the 10 night cruise next summer as well, and the itinerary looks even better. Much more E Med; more Aegean ports; and only two days at sea instead of three. Whoo-hoo!

I just returned from the 11 night Med on Galaxy. They have replaced all the mattresses...and they are very comfortable. All the bed linens are brand new and beautiful. Our cabin was fantastic! It was our first cruise and we were a bit nervous with all the poor reviews/mixed reviews. But, our concern was for naught. I thought everything was in fantastic shape. Heck, the ship is 10 years old and runs beautifully. The crew was fabulous and lively. I loved the traditional atmosphere and no glitz look. We liked it so much that we are planning our next cruise on the New Century next Sept.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again.

Woo

Sailorgirl....wish I was going round the Greek islands. Mr ush couldnt take that long off work. Also when I checked the cost in the hope of persuading him I couldn't believe it was double the price of San Juan to Rome. Mr ush said I was pushing my luck......

Sheik .... you always put my mind at rest. If I enjoy being on Galaxy half as much as you do... well everything'll be just tickety boo. Judy

Thank you thank you, everyone! This is what makes this board so great. All this helpful information - pro and con.

I am convinced now that I need not worry. We were on the similar Century for a 10 day Panama before dry dock, also a deck 12 sky suite, and loved it. We started out with an uncomfortable mattress so they immediately replaced it and we were quite satisfied. We were first time cruisers with Celebrity yet they gave us our requested table for two. Six months later we spent two weeks on Millie going around South America. That, too, was a wonderful cruise. I'll stick with Celebrity some more and am sure this'll be a good experience.

We don't go for all the glitz either. And we don't like huge ships. But we do like good food and good service and traditional ships. So, I think, Galaxy will work afterall.

I was shocked that the 7 day Greek Island was so much more expensive than the 13 day crossing but to combine the two saves another trip to Europe. Flying isn't as fun as it used to be. Three weeks away is a lot for us, too. Big convincing job done on husband. Will miss our dogs terribly. Grown kids and grandkids a little. OK, so I have a sense of humor.

We are booked on Galaxy next November going from Rome to Athens, visiting Egypt. Itinerary sold us. I was concern about condition of the ship, being 10 years old. We used to newer ship. Hope we made the good decision.

Please continue with your opinion. Greatly appreciated.

Keep cruising.

I was on Galaxy at this time two years ago. All I remember is having a really great time and the only negative I can think of was that the sofa beds in the family oceanview suite were hard as a rocks to sleep on and there was vibration at the back of the ship. My closet hangers were clanging every night.

This cruise was really relaxing and wonderful though. I do think that most cruise lines try to replace things as they go. Bedspreads and carpeting are replaced little by little. So I doubt Galaxy is going to be in dire need of updating.

If it were me though- I would choose the Millenium or Constellation for a Transatlantic cruise because it will be smoother.

We sailed the Galaxy last month and indeed the ship doesn't look new anymore but we simply still love her.

What a great post Sheik,

We are sailing on Galaxy in three weeks time and, having looked forward to it for so long, had become a bit blase. You have given me goose bumps again!!

Whilst at Villefranche late September on another cruise ship, we saw tons of soft furnishings, bedding, bed spreads etc being unloaded from the Galaxy. There was a sign up saying it was all being donated to a charity. Obviously the Galaxy now has all new.

Sheik, Thanks for your opinion on the ship.

I am going to sail on her because I know that Celebrity has a great staff and really knows how to treat their passengers.

And the great Itinerary she has to offer.

But I did want to know if you asked when on board, you mentioned, like many others did in the last couple months, that the hot tubs where not working the whole cruise, was the spa pool working?

Also did you ask any employees if they would be fixing any of them before dry dock in 2008?

It must be something really bad that they can not fix for this long.

That would be to bad if they can not fix the hot tubs or pool before then.

I just wanted to warn my hubby of this in advance if they will not be fixed, he spends alot of time in the hot tubs.

Our favorate place on the Summit was the spa pool and hot tub.

If I call Celebrity I am sure they would not tell me what will be happening with the fixing of them.

So that is why I thought maybe a crew member on board might have mentioned it to someone if they asked about it.

Thanks

On our Aug 25th cruise the hot tubs were not working. I asked about the cost of using the thalassoptherapy pool and was told it was free because of the broken hot tubs. This was not generally announced but only told to people who complained. I imagine if the hot tubs haven't been repaired they will continue the free thalassoptherapy pool. Just ask.

On our Aug 25th cruise the hot tubs were not working. I asked about the cost of using the thalassoptherapy pool and was told it was free because of the broken hot tubs. This was not generally announced but only told to people who complained. I imagine if the hot tubs haven't been repaired they will continue the free thalassoptherapy pool. Just ask.

Just returned from the Galaxy and all hot tubs were operating and wonderful. I don't think anything was down. Enjoy!

Archived