Potential HAL Cruiser needs advice

USNDiver

My Wife and I are planning on booking an Alaska cruise for 2007 (we just did a 4 day PNW on the Mercury and it really whet our appetite!) and could use some input from some veteran HAL cruisers. Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to booking directly through HAL, vice using a TA? My previous cruises I booked online, through a well known agency, and never had a problem, but I wondered if I might have missed out on some great deal.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

My previous cruises I booked online, through a well known agency, and never had a problem, but I wondered if I might have missed out on some great deal.

Our cruise coming up Dec 9 is the first time we haven't used a well-known TA, and we got $50 pp off the published fare at the time we booked direct. On the other hand, with the TA on previous cruises we got a 4-level upgrade twice in a row, plus a $50 pp OBC each time. We have yet to find out if we get an upgrade this time.

I'd suggest for your 1st HAL cruise you use the TA. :cool:

Welcome to cruising.

Generally speaking, one usually can find a better price by booking with a TA but it is best to cross reference with pricing and incentives on the HAL site because occasionally they are about the same.

Pricing of cruises is highly competitive and can change day to day or even intra day, subject to supply and demand.

The T/A is your agent and advocate, not the cruise line's. They are paid a percentage of your fare. Should you choose to use a T/A and if there is a problem, your T/A needs to go to bat for you, as HAL will, in most cases, refer your inquiry back to your T/A.

When using a T/A, make sure you know, in advance their policy and charges, if any, associated with cancellation and / or changes prior to final payment date. This is especially important if the price of your cruise reduces, after your initial booking.

Make the time to read the cruise line's terms and conditions of booking before you make a deposit. While the initial read appears to favor the cruise line, remember that the cruise line allows you to cancel at any time up to the point of final payment date.

Get trip insurance and not necessarily the one being sold by HAL or your T/A. Policies are not equal and the licensing and rating of the insurer matters.

We wanted to do a cruisetour of Alaska next September. We were trying to decide between HAL and X. I don't much like large ships, so we decided to try HAL since their ships are smaller. 1,400 PAX is still a lot, but okay. The formal dining is a con for us, but Celebrity has that also. DH will just have to dust off his "weddings and funerals" suit!

Anyway, I had spoken to a HAL rep and he sent me a book and we went through it and decided which cruisetour we wanted. Then I received an email from AAA that they were having some sort of special event to book HAL Alaska cruises. There would be $300 PP and $200 per cabin OBC. Unfortunately I have to be out of town on business when the event is being held in Orlando. So I called AAA and spoke to their travel agent. We were given the same deal as if we had attended the event. Booked the cruise, was given a booking number and cabin number and I checked online to be sure that our credit card had been charged. That was only last week, and I've already received 2 promotional emails from HAL.

NOW I'm excited!

I have found booking with a local travel agent to be the best way to go.

They have always gotten me the same price as booking direct with HAL then sometimes giving me a rebate and/or an upgrade, soemthing I have never gotten booking any cruise direct with the company.

Then my TA has always monitored the sailing and lets me know when teh price has been reduced getting me the difference back. She also keeps me up to date on itinerary changes which sometimes happens

The key is to find a good travel agent in your area.

Thanks very much for the information. I'm really kind of torn on this one, I like making my own arrangements (no slip-ups) but the TA's know the ins and outs of the cruising business (of which there seem to be many and of which I'm completely clueless) and could definately work to advantage. I guess maybe a good place to start would be to find a TA that specializes in cruises (if there is such a thing) and go from there.

Again thanks for the info.

Sincerely,

Dave

I'm with some previous posters. IMO...Best to use a TA that you can go see in person or speak to on the phone.

Another thing that I will do on ALL future cruise bookings. Book it during regular business hours so that I can get everything signed, sealed and delivered. Last cruise was booked online over the weekend, and it went poof. I've read lots of other posts (not just on HAL) on CC that speak of similar situations.

We have booked through HAL directly for all but one of our cruises and that was messed up. HAL always honors the prices I find, I have gotten excellent upgrades all but three times out of a dozen, we get great OBC's and other goodies. Best of all nothig has ever gone wrong that they couldn't deal with swiftly and helpfully.

Here's what I posted on an earlier post:

We have used Both TA and HAL Direct. Here's the thing, take your time and shop, thats the bottom line. Some things to think about:

1) The best price is not always the best bargain:

- TA contact through e-mail only (lesser price, tough to get problems resolved).

- TA on-line with customer service that can be reached by phone, better option (you will be on hold for a bit as they work with HAL agents, minor inconvenience). Make sure you know about any specials when you book and ask about options if other specials come up.

- Ask TA about any fees for cancelation prior to the final payment date. (some TAs charge fees, some don't; usually have to keep on them for the money to come off your card if you cancel)

2) Booking with HAL:

- Sales promos can be the key here. Your going to pay a bit more (some folks here are going to frown and say hundreds in difference), but you speak to HAL direct and I've always had good results, there is no fee for cancelling prior to the final payment date, and I have not had any problems with our paperwork. When my brother booked this upcoming cruise, the difference between the On-Line TA and HAL was just $80, then HAL came up with a promo he was able to apply and that took the difference down to $20 without having to cancel and rebook. Some TAs were saying it had to be a new booking to get the promo, HAL was adding it with no problem.

As for air, when we did our europe cruise, we booked air ourselves. Here's the thing, if you plan to use transfers from HAL, they're going to want your flight numbers. So when we booked, it was way to early to book air, so I picked possible flight numbers I may use and gave those numbers when I booked. When we got our air, we told the TA the real numbers which were given to HAL. We did book the air with the same on line TA.

Again, best advice, shop, shop, shop. Best of luck and enjoy your cruise which ever way you go.

Hope this helps shipmate.

Then I received an email from AAA that they were having some sort of special event to book HAL Alaska cruises. There would be $300 PP and $200 per cabin OBC. Unfortunately I have to be out of town on business when the event is being held in Orlando.

When and where is this happening please? (I guess I could call my local AAA TA if I don't hear from you first.) Thank you.

We have used a TA for the previous six HAL cruises and never had an upgrade and only once did the price drop prior to full payment coming due.

I booked the Maasdam out of Norfolk by phone with HAL and requested our first guarantee cabin (always booked a specific cabin hoping for an upgrade). I just found my cabin number has been assigned and am really happy with it (not a great upgrade, but much better than I would have booked at the same time to get a designated cabin number).

I think it really depends on the TA you get. Even with repeat business I've decided its time for a new TA.

Archived