I know this isn't the GC board, but does anyone know anything about Capt. Marvins?

crazycruzer68

You need an answer about what? What is your question?

I have a tour booked with Captain Marvins in June 2007 (yes - it booked it early). The reason I booked it is because I have done the ship's tour to Stingray City, and though I enjoyed it, I have read nothing but positive reviews about Captain Marvins and wanted to give him a try. Also, remember there is a time difference between Grand Cayman time and ship time. The ship is one hour ahead of the local time (it will be 4:00 on the ship when it is 3:00 local time).

So, are you sure you will get back one hour before the ship leaves?

They were great. They put two people in the water with you, had about twenty people on their boat and watched you like a hawk. If you felt uncomfortable with the water, they were understanding and let you get back on the boat. They even hosed you down with warm fresh water after you got back in the boat to get rid of the salt water.

If your ship can't tender for some reason, they will give you your deposit back too and not charge you for the excursion. That's a big plus with the amount of ships that can't anchor because of the weather.

I took the 2 1/2 hour snorkel/stingray excursion with Captain Marvin's just last week, on Thursday October 5. It was great! Our group was much less crowded than some of the others we could see out there.

The guides were very helpful at both the snorkel and stingray stops. We even had 90 year old Captain Marvin himself piloting the boat! (Captain Marvin was the first tour guide to offer commercial tours decades ago to stingray city...he is the original!)

I would highly recommend this outfit.

That being said, my recommendation comes after a very bad experience with Captain Marvin's last November, my first visit to the Caymans. You can read the details, if you are interested, in my review of that cruise in the Reviews section of these boards.

However, I know from my own background, seeing my parents run a small family business, that sometimes things happen beyond the control of the business owners that may leave their customer/clients with a negative impression. For this reason, I did not let last year's experience deter me from giving them another try this year. I was not disappointed. :)

I will be using Captain Marvin's for the first time in November thanks to the numerous recommendations from CC. My experience with them so far has been positive. I've emailed them questions and they have replied back with helpful answers immediately. When I booked online, I received a personal email back from Ruth immediately with more specifics. It should be a lot of fun.

Another positive experience with Captain Marvin's here. Boat wasn't crowded (unlike the sardines packed on the other boats). Crew was friendly and knowledgeable. When we were snorkeling he was "playing" with a shark and rubbing his belly as he fed him, pretty neat! They also create a video too that you can buy, which is actually very good.

Book online with them, it's easy and quick! www.captainmarvins.com

Enjoy!

No negitive comments about them?

Our first experience with Capain Marvin will be in about two weeks, doing the stingray and snorkle tour. Would you be kind enough to direct me to the negative comments, as I have yet to read any. We have already made reservations so we probably won't be able to cancel without losing something, but I'd like to at least be aware of any potential downfalls.

... my recommendation comes after a very bad experience with Captain Marvin's last November, my first visit to the Caymans. You can read the details, if you are interested, in my review of that cruise in the Reviews section of these boards.

However, I know from my own background, seeing my parents run a small family business, that sometimes things happen beyond the control of the business owners that may leave their customer/clients with a negative impression. For this reason, I did not let last year's experience deter me from giving them another try this year. I was not disappointed. :)

Click here http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=14479 for the 11/05 review from Texas Greeneyes.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

We did Captain Marvins Stingray and Snorkel excursion on Oct 10 and had a great time. There was 7 in our group including an eleven year old and a 14 month old. We went to two snorkle sights and to Stingray City. The guides were great and very helpful and patient with the people who were nervous. They were very safety conscious and watched everyone very closely. You can't go wrong with Captain Marvin.

Archived